Woe woe and thrice woe - cancel crimble

Started by Barry, August 27, 2022, 10:30:59 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Nick on August 29, 2022, 12:58:08 PM
I've done work with Tesco suppliers in the packaging industry, they are a nightmare. They come into the factory and tell the owner what colour uniforms and wellingtons to wear, where to build walls and changing rooms and then they tell you what price they will give you for your produce.
Not unusual — even Woolworths used to do similar, though not as extreme — and the other home-based supermarkets still do, plus checking up on and enforcing food safety and hygiene...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 28, 2022, 11:06:55 PM
Well, yes and no, Nick.

Until I switched jobs in 2020 I had not received a pay rise since 2006. This made me a dedicated Aldi / Lidl shopper as I couldn't afford Sainsbury's prices.

From this perspective I've seen Aldi and Lidl trumpet their trolley shop as hugely cheaper than the other four because they compare their own brands against Tesco and Sainsbury Kellogs Heinz and HP etc. Meanwhile Tesco's buys in special.price cheap foreign shit they price 1p below Aldi's own brand.

Its all a huge scam
I've done work with Tesco suppliers in the packaging industry, they are a nightmare. They come into the factory and tell the owner what colour uniforms and wellingtons to wear, where to build walls and changing rooms and then they tell you what price they will give you for your produce.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on August 28, 2022, 02:57:17 PM
I believe the like if Tescos and Co will covertly reduce prices to retain their share of the market. A percentage of something is better than nothing, they have no choice but reduce profits, the big question will be what level of debt will the average Joe entertain to enjoy a 'Normal' Christmas?

Well, yes and no, Nick.

Until I switched jobs in 2020 I had not received a pay rise since 2006. This made me a dedicated Aldi / Lidl shopper as I couldn't afford Sainsbury's prices. 

From this perspective I've seen Aldi and Lidl trumpet their trolley shop as hugely cheaper than the other four because they compare their own brands against Tesco and Sainsbury Kellogs Heinz and HP etc. Meanwhile Tesco's buys in special.price cheap foreign shit they price 1p below Aldi's own brand.

Its all a huge scam
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on August 28, 2022, 02:57:17 PMI believe the like if Tescos and Co will covertly reduce prices to retain their share of the market.
What is the point of covertly reducing prices? Lower prices need to be known about and noticed to have any impact on market share. Supermarkets have every interest in trumpeting their price cuts. It is when prices rise that companies are more likely to be covert about it.

And people are making all sorts of decisions to save money, one of them being to migrate to budget stores like Aldi and Lidl. Even though I have a 10 percent staff discount card, I have noticed that Aldi is 20 to 30 percent cheaper than my store so in spite of staff discount I am still saving 10-20 percent on top of that by doing most of my shopping at Aldi now.

I predict this Christmas will be a leaner one than usual for the retail sector. 

I am making economies in other ways too, eating food that does not need cooking much more and never buying anything that needs to be cooked in an oven. Luxury spending on things like takeaways are now a very rare treat. Those businesses that rely on selling non-essential items or fast foods are going to suffer. Having to increase their own prices as their customers get poorer is going to result in many of them not having enough customers often enough to be financially viable. Business are going to start going to the wall as a result, leading to increasing unemployment and a downward spiral of deepening recession.

And rising interest rates to tackle inflation is going to have a devastating impact on many struggling mortgage payers too, some of whom could end up losing their homes. Whilst buy to let landlords try to pass on their own increased costs by hiking rents to tenants, many of whom will already be struggling.

It is almost the perfect storm and there seems to be no easy way out. Tougher times lie ahead than most of us have ever known.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on August 28, 2022, 07:43:55 PM
People going into a little extra debt at Christmas is part of the reason for a rise in suicides in January. It's a serious matter.
This is especially so when all bills are rocketing whilst wages, salaries, pensions and benefits are not, and when rising interest rates are going to result in increased interest on any debts. When millions can barely afford to eat already, a little more debt is a very serious matter indeed. Financial problems are - as you correctly indicate - a serious driver of suicides. 
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

People going into a little extra debt at Christmas is part of the reason for a rise in suicides in January. It's a serious matter.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Nick on August 28, 2022, 02:57:17 PM
I believe the like if Tescos and Co will covertly reduce prices to retain their share of the market. A percentage of something is better than nothing, they have no choice but reduce profits, the big question will be what level of debt will the average Joe entertain to enjoy a 'Normal' Christmas?
How will covertly reducing prices help retain market share — surely, trumpeting held and reduced prices from the rooftops will remain the main part of the retail armoury?

I doubt the average Joe, holy or secular, will baulk at a bit of extra debt to keep him and his happier for a couple of days...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on August 28, 2022, 02:17:50 PM
The orders will already have gone in months ago, and the products are already on their way — even if many of the emporiums planning to stock them will already have gone out of business.

But Christmas won't ever be cancelled — it wasn't before, even though you say "again" — people celebrated in their own ways, and for their own reasons, and I bet they will again.

Booze is likely to figure, as is music, both sacred and secular...
I believe the like if Tescos and Co will covertly reduce prices to retain their share of the market. A percentage of something is better than nothing, they have no choice but reduce profits, the big question will be what level of debt will the average Joe entertain to enjoy a 'Normal' Christmas?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Barry on August 27, 2022, 10:30:59 AM
I think the shops shouldn't need to stock their shelves with masses of Chinese crap, toys, crackers, trees, lights, as no one will be able to afford them.
I can't see how anyone can possibly think about buying Christmas presents this year when people are being forced to choose between eating and heating.
In fact, Christmas may as well be cancelled again. It could be Liz's first announcement.
The orders will already have gone in months ago, and the products are already on their way — even if many of the emporiums planning to stock them will already have gone out of business.

But Christmas won't ever be cancelled — it wasn't before, even though you say "again" — people celebrated in their own ways, and for their own reasons, and I bet they will again.

Booze is likely to figure, as is music, both sacred and secular...

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on August 28, 2022, 09:50:54 AM
There is that, Borky, plus an extra £300 on the "coal allowance" this year from Rishi. I could spend £5 each on the 6 grandkids and have £470 left over for keeping the boiler alight.
How much is a Cadbury's selection pack these days?

Cadbury's ?

You know how to spoil yourself Barry.

I was thinking in terms of that odd, but agreeable stuff they sell in Aldi for washers :)
Algerie Francais !

Barry

There is that, Borky, plus an extra £300 on the "coal allowance" this year from Rishi. I could spend £5 each on the 6 grandkids and have £470 left over for keeping the boiler alight.
How much is a Cadbury's selection pack these days?
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on August 27, 2022, 09:34:19 PM
I am making agreements with my equally skint friends not to exchange gifts none of us can afford to buy. Going to exchange cards only and not waste more money we can ill afford on gifts for each other.

This is the first year we have felt the need to do this.

We are lucky.

Every year the government sends both of us a hundred quid for the Christmas drinks. Since we are both practically TeeTotal these days, I will use it to buy some new tires for the motor. We are also getting a bung to offset the cost of the energy rises, so I will put that aside for Christmas presents.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: srb7677 on August 27, 2022, 09:34:19 PM
I am making agreements with my equally skint friends not to exchange gifts none of us can afford to buy. Going to exchange cards only and not waste more money we can ill afford on gifts for each other.

Sensible and proportionate, srb. ✔
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Streetwalker

I think the shops shouldn't need to stock their shelves with masses of Chinese crap, toys, crackers, trees, lights, as no one will be able to afford them.
Dont worry ,all Christmas crap is sitting in shipping containers at Felixstow 
I can't see how anyone can possibly think about buying Christmas presents this year when people are being forced to choose between eating and heating.
Its the thought that counts , buy what you can afford and be truely  grateful for what you recieve (I read that somewhere )

In fact, Christmas may as well be cancelled again. It could be Liz's first announcement.
Being the  Grinch who stole Christmas wouldnt be advised