Britain falls out of love with the NHS

Started by Borchester, August 28, 2022, 11:23:23 AM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on August 28, 2022, 09:48:41 PM
If you rely on Kwikfit then there's no hope for you.
It may be his only hope if his real name is Frank N Stein. 
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on August 28, 2022, 09:48:41 PM
If you rely on Kwikfit then there's no hope for you.

They have helped keep the motor on the road for the last 15 years so both of us must be doing something right. :)
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on August 28, 2022, 12:31:40 PM
I have never understood this business of privatisation. The NHS has always been privatised. The bulk of the GPs, many nurses and a large chunk of the ancillary services. The problems of the NHS are..

(a) It is treated like a secular religion. I don't give a stuff if Wall Street or my sister in law (Christ, she is fierce. I am amazed that anyone dares be sick when she is around) who makes money out of the NHS. I regard it the same as Kwik Fit. I expect my motor to come out of their garages better than it went in. Both Kwik Fit and the NHS cost enough, so I don't want a lot of excuses.

(b) It has been too successful. We are living longer and keeping fitter and the NHS is having to run harder to stand still.

Edited to remove duplication
If you rely on Kwikfit then there's no hope for you.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on August 28, 2022, 12:31:40 PM
I have never understood this business of privatisation. The NHS has always been privatised. The bulk of the GPs, many nurses and a large chunk of the ancillary services. The problems of the NHS are..

(a) It is treated like a secular religion. I don't give a stuff if Wall Street or my sister in law (Christ, she is fierce. I am amazed that anyone dares be sick when she is around) who makes money out of the NHS. I regard it the same as Kwik Fit. I expect my motor to come out of their garages better than it went in. Both Kwik Fit and the NHS cost enough, so I don't want a lot of excuses.

(b) It has been too successful. We are living longer and keeping fitter and the NHS is having to run harder to stand still.

It's the image built up over the years. Like the NHS, The Post Office has also largely depended on the private sector and individuals for years. Directly-owned Crown Offices were very few — and now account for just over 100 of the approx 11,500 total.

But "Britain falls out of love with the NHS" seems an inaccurate title. Many of the population may be disappointed with waiting times, but they're still expecting help — even though there's never been enough support for its regular proper funding, and there still isn't.

Right from 2000 and before, average yearly funding increases have barely reached half of what was required. Bean counters have ruled the roost, while clinicians have been kept out of meaningful management. Too often, mass medical decisions for the NHS have been taken for local political reasons — one example is the amount of IVF treatment, of which only around 30% successful despite the expense. Let that go fully private.

The general upward trend in population longevity is largely due to the population's own efforts when it heeds advertised health advice on eating, exercise, smoking, vaccination, etc. These may be scoffed at, but they do have positive effects.

But as the average life span grows, so does the need for care. But care is in a worse state of funding than the NHS — of which care should be a part. The result is people, who only need basic care, are taking up scarce hospital beds and other facilities.

Are the promised 40 new hospitals really needed? Or could a substantial part of that budget and effort go towards increasing care in order to free up more hospital staff and beds...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on August 28, 2022, 12:03:37 PM
I don't think it's that they've fallen out of love with the nhs but it's being asked to do more and more each year it can't and  reforms Puke have crippled it.

Said it before it should have been operated by a cross party body,I fear it's too late the privatisation by the back door will come back to haunt just as the utilities have.

Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on August 28, 2022, 11:23:23 AM
https://archive.ph/QkYxF
I don't think it's that they've fallen out of love with the nhs but it's being asked to do more and more each year it can't and  reforms Puke have crippled it.

Said it before it should have been operated by a cross party body,I fear it's too late the privatisation by the back door will come back to haunt just as the utilities have.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?