Boris to use farewell tour to defend record

Started by patman post, August 30, 2022, 04:16:50 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on September 05, 2022, 07:56:07 AM
Ever higher earnings for the wealthy elites must come from somewhere. They do not magically appear in a puff of omnipotent smoke. If sales have increased by 39% there might be the funds to increase CEO pay by 39% but there is rarely such a connection. Pay increases often vastly outstrip sales increases and still occur all too often when businesses are contracting. So such vast increases are rarely paid for by increased sales and must therefore be money extracted from elsewhere that might have been used to pay others more or employ more people or charge customers less. The wealth at the top doesnt come from nowhere. An increased slice of the pie for the wealthy elites is at the expense of everyone else. One way or another everyone else is paying for it.
A fun fact did you know once the middle and upper classes were so in fear of the working class turning out backward and deformed children which would eventually infect them, they turned work houses into asylums and built them in just about every town so they could be locked up for life very often and declared insane or worse. This practice ran for the best part of a 100 years. Only ending in the 70's which in the end was more about cost than anything else. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 04, 2022, 08:02:31 PM
Just cause they make vast sums of money doesn't mean they are sucking it out of us. Have you ever heard of a company called Diageo, possibly not? They own Johnny Walker, Guinness and Baileys,  I've done loads of work for them in the past. I have no doubt the top man is mega rich, but he hasn't sucked anything out of us, all sales are by choice.
Ever higher earnings for the wealthy elites must come from somewhere. They do not magically appear in a puff of omnipotent smoke. If sales have increased by 39% there might be the funds to increase CEO pay by 39% but there is rarely such a connection. Pay increases often vastly outstrip sales increases and still occur all too often when businesses are contracting. So such vast increases are rarely paid for by increased sales and must therefore be money extracted from elsewhere that might have been used to pay others more or employ more people or charge customers less. The wealth at the top doesnt come from nowhere. An increased slice of the pie for the wealthy elites is at the expense of everyone else. One way or another everyone else is paying for it.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on September 04, 2022, 08:30:42 PMwhat have you done to improve your situation?
Worked hard, that's what.

But that's not good enough for you is it. It's my fault I am poor because I cannot afford the time and cost to study and in any case at my time of life what's the point. I will hit retirement before long and no one is going to take me on in a newly trained role at my age.

My best bet would be to climb in the organisation I am already in, except I have a mental health condition and am working in spite of that. Added responsibility would risk overwhelming me psychologically resulting in me being back on the sick, which is no good for me or anyone else.

So stop making this so fecking personal without bothering to take my personal circumstances into account.

As to the wider point, if any group keeps getting massive pay rises year after year, the money for that must come from somewhere. Either higher prices for customers to pay for it, fewer staff lower down to pay for it, or lower pay than might otherwise be the case for everyone else to pay for it. Unless you believe money for CEOs grows on trees and doesn't affect anyone else?

Besides which, what does any individual's career advancement have to do with it. Doesn't alter the fact that there are millions of hard working poor whilst those at the top keep taking the piss. Work is like a pyramid, with millions of jobs but the higher up the career ladder you go the fewer the positions available. You cannot end poverty by everyone climbing out of it. We cannot all be managers and bosses, with no one actually doing the work. You can only end in work poverty by making work genuinely pay for all, which is about reasonable living costs as well as pay.

None of this is helped by the greedy bastards at the top stealing ever more because they can. That money can only come from the rest of us.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on September 04, 2022, 07:41:53 PM
They do count. They are representative of a wealthy elite sucking ever more wealth out of the rest of us, making us poorer. Where else do they get their vast salary increases from year after year without apparent end? If you don't believe in magic money trees it must come from somewhere.

am not sure that I follow that Steve.

Are you suggesting that you had a job with better pay and conditions but that the Capitalist Boss Class forced you to accept worse?

Interestingly enough, I have just had a chat with the Somali family on the next allotment. They want me tutor their daughter for the Maths GCSE because, as Mrs Ali said, they earn their living packing shelves in Sainsbury's and they are buggered if their little girl is going to end up doing the same.

So, if a 14 year old girl is prepared to back herself to win, what have you done to improve your situation?
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on September 04, 2022, 07:41:53 PM
They do count. They are representative of a wealthy elite sucking ever more wealth out of the rest of us, making us poorer. Where else do they get their vast salary increases from year after year without apparent end? If you don't believe in magic money trees it must come from somewhere.
Just cause they make vast sums of money doesn't mean they are sucking it out of us. Have you ever heard of a company called Diageo, possibly not? They own Johnny Walker, Guinness and Baileys,  I've done loads of work for them in the past. I have no doubt the top man is mega rich, but he hasn't sucked anything out of us, all sales are by choice. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 04, 2022, 01:00:52 PM
But they are living in another world to us and they will never impact on our lives in any way. We can ignore these lot, they don't count.

Good old

Quote from: Nick on September 04, 2022, 01:00:52 PM
But they are living in another world to us and they will never impact on our lives in any way. We can ignore these lot, they don't count.

Now that's another exaggeration if ever there was one. Never impact on our lives? Without us the masses they have nothing we impact on them merely by being putty in their hands. It's us that they squeeze their profit and substantial wealth from . If that doesn't impact us what does. Most telling is they are not aliens , they do live in our world , and they take the piss in street terms. And forcing a bit more reality into their actions and outlooks is possibly overdue.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on August 31, 2022, 06:52:25 PM
Fair enough. The FTSE top 100 CEOs for example got average pay rises of 39 percent.

But most people are getting poorer. If you are one of the lucky exceptions, good for you.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on August 31, 2022, 07:15:34 PM
Would you also like to write my posts for me and marshal my thoughts?
I'd settle for you not exaggerating or misrepresenting mine.

But we seem to have a habit of falling out when I think we both recognise each other as decent human beings who just have very different perspectives.

So shall we draw a line under this one and move on?

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on August 31, 2022, 06:12:58 PM
I merely suggested that you were being melodramatic in trying to suggest I wanted Boris to be hung.

The definition of melodramatic is:-  characteristic of melodrama, especially in being exaggerated or over-emotional.

Suggesting that I want to Boris to be hanging from a rope is archetypical melodrama, when you could have settled for saying I want him to cease to be PM, or do something useful whilst he still is, which would have been far more accurate.

If you retract the unnecessarily melodramatic statement about me wanting Johnson to swing, I will retract my charge that you were being melodramatic
Would you also like to write my posts for me and marshal my thoughts?

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on August 31, 2022, 06:49:16 PMNo everyone isn't getting poorer,
Fair enough. The FTSE top 100 CEOs for example got average pay rises of 39 percent.

But most people are getting poorer. If you are one of the lucky exceptions, good for you.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on August 31, 2022, 12:13:32 PM
We have a cost of living crisis of unprecedented proportions. Inflation heading to 18 percent, interest rates rocketing, everyone getting poorer, unaffordable food and fuel bills, recession looming, and what is Spaffwaffle doing? What are his priorities? After two back to back holidays, a frigging farewell tour? Really?

What a perverted set of priorities by someone giving us the two fingered salute.
Inflation is 10.1%, it has gone up from 9.4% so technically you're right, it's heading towards 18%. When I get on the M6 at Wigan heading south, technically I'm heading towards Antarctica, never got there though. 
No everyone isn't getting poorer, I work loooooong hours so am doing ok and I can afford food and fuel. Cut the sweeping statements out Steve and I'll cut out the sarcasm...  And no, it's only a 1 fingered salute, he was born in the US!!

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on August 31, 2022, 04:51:36 PMI'm only matching your attack on me which was unfair although I shouldn't so I'll apologise
I merely suggested that you were being melodramatic in trying to suggest I wanted Boris to be hung.

The definition of melodramatic is:-  characteristic of melodrama, especially in being exaggerated or over-emotional.

Suggesting that I want to Boris to be hanging from a rope is archetypical melodrama, when you could have settled for saying I want him to cease to be PM, or do something useful whilst he still is, which would have been far more accurate.

If you retract the unnecessarily melodramatic statement about me wanting Johnson to swing, I will retract my charge that you were being melodramatic

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on August 31, 2022, 02:53:28 PMYes, failed on Covid. Johnson refused to bring in lockdown until two weeks after it would have been most effective — allowing it to rampage throughout the UK.
You are so full of it, he did what he was asked to do after the panic had been spread and you are still beating the same bullshit drum. Now as it turns out more and more are saying lockdown was a huge mistake. Is he a liar? yes, he is but then hold up your hands in Parliament who isn't? I see no hands.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on August 31, 2022, 04:35:04 PM
Insult me if it makes you feel better but it doesn't change anything. The point would be trying to find common ground on some measures to help so that something could have been implemented by now. Instead of getting paid to do nothing.
I'm only matching your attack on me which was unfair although I shouldn't so I'll apologise. I still think that you are hoping for the impossible. The man has been PM with his hands tied and that's just the way it is. I hear the treasury has been working on recommendations and as Truss said without being PM she does not have access to all facts, presumably Sunak is the same. So decisions are on hold.