What you need to know about Liz Truss, the frontrunner to be the next PM

Started by SKY News, August 31, 2022, 01:00:05 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on September 06, 2022, 03:40:02 PM
I think you are all missing the point. Her husband has forgiven her. We haven't walked in her shoes nor do we understand the circumstances and frankly it's no-one's business but the man who presumably was the main sufferer has forgiven and they continue married. My point is that if he has seen fit knowing all the circumstances to forgive her then who are we to hold her feet to the fire? If anything I feel we should honour their fortitude as a couple to have worked through their troubles maintaining a united front.
There is indeed a lot to be said for forgiveness, yet it is also true that integrity matters in high office, and those who appear to have fallen short on it in their personal lives have question marks hanging over them. Pointing that out is fair enough in my view.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

I think you are all missing the point. Her husband has forgiven her. We haven't walked in her shoes nor do we understand the circumstances and frankly it's no-one's business but the man who presumably was the main sufferer has forgiven and they continue married. My point is that if he has seen fit knowing all the circumstances to forgive her then who are we to hold her feet to the fire? If anything I feel we should honour their fortitude as a couple to have worked through their troubles maintaining a united front.

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 02, 2022, 02:14:28 AM
I don't know.

I know who do though.

When I was working with a large number of Americans in the early 90s their was a problem with a presidential hopeful (no, NOT Clinton) who was found to be screwing a mistress and lying to his wife about it.

I found the attitude these yanks showed to this to be stupid beyond reason. Their answer surprised me. It was that they expected politicians to behave like this, of course they did, the thing was the guy lied to his wife about it.

What mattered to them as voters wasn't his infidelity, but his lying to the marriage partner.

I remembered that.

Years later Bill Clinton's inability to keep his dick under control came out - this might have been before Monica - and Larry King had Bill and Hillary on late night (for us, about 3am) TV.

As soon as Larry started, before Bill could open his gob Hilary butted in and said she'd known for ages and forgiven her husband. Larry literally deflated like a burst rubber swimming pool toy.
The French expect it and surprisingly so do the Japanese, they're all screwing their secretaries. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on September 01, 2022, 05:44:52 PM
You basically rank having an affair low than starting an illegal war, destabilising the whole Middle East region and calling every terrorist under the Sun your friends?

Bush and Bliar quite possibly caused more damage to the world than both World Wars put together but you were quite happy to be part of their gang through it all.

I don't know.

I know who do though.

When I was working with a large number of Americans in the early 90s their was a problem with a presidential hopeful (no, NOT Clinton) who was found to be screwing a mistress and lying to his wife about it.

I found the attitude these yanks showed to this to be stupid beyond reason. Their answer surprised me. It was that they expected politicians to behave like this, of course they did, the thing was the guy lied to his wife about it. 

What mattered to them as voters wasn't his infidelity, but his lying to the marriage partner.

I remembered that.

Years later Bill Clinton's inability to keep his dick under control came out - this might have been before Monica - and Larry King had Bill and Hillary on late night (for us, about 3am) TV.

As soon as Larry started, before Bill could open his gob Hilary butted in and said she'd known for ages and forgiven her husband. Larry literally deflated like a burst rubber swimming pool toy.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 01, 2022, 05:44:52 PM
You basically rank having an affair low than starting an illegal war, destabilising the whole Middle East region and calling every terrorist under the Sun your friends?

Bush and Bliar quite possibly caused more damage to the world than both World Wars put together but you were quite happy to be part of their gang through it all.
Nonsense. I was opposed to the Iraq War from the moment the idea was first mooted and had already ceased to be a supporter of Blair by then. And I never supported Bush.

Do you not realise that the only politician I loathe as much as Thatcher is Blair?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on August 31, 2022, 06:25:25 PM
Another Tory leader who can't keep their pants on.

It seems Truss had an affair with another married Tory behind her husband's back.

I am a firm believer that if you cannot behave with integrity in your private life, integrity is far from certain in public office. Something which Spaffwaffle has already tested to destruction.

After all if you cannot display integrity to those closest to you, how can it be a certain expectation for the rest of us? It tends in my view to display a certain moral and emotional self-centredness.
You basically rank having an affair low than starting an illegal war, destabilising the whole Middle East region and calling every terrorist under the Sun your friends?

Bush and Bliar quite possibly caused more damage to the world than both World Wars put together but you were quite happy to be part of their gang through it all. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on August 31, 2022, 07:13:49 PM
He who is without sin cast the first stone!
That would work better if I were a believer.

But I am not without sin, I have made mistakes and done wrong in the past. 

I have never cheated on a partner though, nor slept with a married woman behind her husband's back. Because I regard such behaviour as too morally low to go there.

I think personal conduct says a lot about the integrity of someone, and we have a right to take it into account when that person seeks to be our leader. 

Religious claptrap notwithstanding.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on August 31, 2022, 06:25:25 PM

It seems Truss had an affair with another married Tory behind her husband's back.

I am a firm believer that if you cannot behave with integrity in your private life, integrity is far from certain in public office. Something which Spaffwaffle has already tested to destruction.

After all if you cannot display integrity to those closest to you, how can it be a certain expectation for the rest of us? It tends in my view to display a certain moral and emotional self-centredness.
He who is without sin cast the first stone!

srb7677

SKY News

What you need to know about Liz Truss, the frontrunner to be the next PM

After weeks of blue-on-blue battles, Liz Truss looks set to see off her rival Rishi Sunak to win the Conservative leadership race and become prime minister.

Source: What you need to know about Liz Truss, the frontrunner to be the next PM