West Mids fire brigade discriminate against white men

Started by Barry, January 22, 2020, 10:40:42 AM

« previous - next »

DeppityDawg

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=14020 time=1579722306 user_id=89
I thought the problem the Army has is getting ANY recruits who are fit, plus a problem with the standard of fitness of serving troops.

Just for you, because you clearly don't read other peoples posts

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=14017 time=1579721330 user_id=50
That didn't go down well with the politically correct corner, so now that combat roles are open (or soon will be) to women too, those standards will eventually have to be lowered too, because not enough women (or men of the required fitness, because not enough men want to join now either) will pass them.

As I said, trolling, snipping single lines out of posts, taking literal meaning to what are clearly tongue in cheek expressions, these are just a few of the reasons why you are so fecking irritating.

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=14017 time=1579721330 user_id=50
Politically motivated agendas. The same reason as fitness standards for the Army (and the Fire Service) were lowered in order to allow more women to pass them, and therefore increase the numbers of women in the services (too many were failing). You cant argue standards with people who've never had to meet them, and fail to understand why they are a critical part of any selection process.

I thought the problem the Army has is getting ANY recruits who are fit, plus a problem with the standard of fitness of serving troops.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Barry post_id=13999 time=1579714129 user_id=51
It also tends to support some racists ideas that these minority groups are thick or incapable of passing the same tests. We should not lower our standards to recruit anyone, as it lowers the standards of the Fire Brigade as a whole. Why would they want to do that?

Politically motivated agendas. The same reason as fitness standards for the Army (and the Fire Service) were lowered in order to allow more women to pass them, and therefore increase the numbers of women in the services (too many were failing). You cant argue standards with people who've never had to meet them, and fail to understand why they are a critical part of any selection process.

The Army's own studies predicted that less than 4% of women could meet the standards for the Infantry/Combat arms, based on how many failed to meet the basic fitness requirements in the service arms. That didn't go down well with the politically correct corner, so now that combat roles are open (or soon will be) to women too, those standards will eventually have to be lowered too, because not enough women (or men of the required fitness, because not enough men want to join now either) will pass them. Its total bollocks. But its not those pressing for these politically motivated objectives who will have to live or die by those decisions in the field. I couldn't care less whose next to me, as long as he or she is measured by the same standards all of us are and should be.

johnofgwent

Oh yeah. One more thing. The ONLY bloke ever to beat me without motorised aid to a casualty in a raging surf WAS a fundamentalist vegetarian. He used to complain he found veganism attractive but was too fond of cheese. And he could out swim the pontypool front row.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=13966 time=1579694201 user_id=89
Where I live all the fire brigade staff are retained volunteers not full time, there is a serious shortage, I suspect they would take anyone physically fit enough and able to turn up in  the time required.

There are even, (to the shock and horror of the forum misogynist,) women on the lifeboat crew.

Looking at the muscles on those cornish women, so there bloody should be....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

I have very little experience of being a rescuer of anyone except myself from a fire.

The only damsel I tried to rescue was no 'damsel' and was in fact long dead and the fuel for the blaze in question, not that I knew it at the time.

I do have rather more of a track record in rescuing people from drowning and several friends who belong to a cliif rescue organisation.

To royally abuse the opening lines of probably the finest piece of romantic literature ever to be penned in this country...

'It is a truth universally accepted that those in need of being plucked out of a raging sea or off a sheer cliff give not a flying one about the size of their rescuers dick or whether or not they have one, nor what they do with it on a saturday night.

I have yet to be asked if I am a fundamentalist vegan as part of the acceptance of my aid, nor have I heard anyone demand to be thrown back on finding their rescuer was a six foot three blond beer swilling meat eating heterosexual viking.

Nor did they whinge on being rather roughly handed off once inside the surf zone to my equally blonde equally beer swilling and equally muscular six foot two daughter for the swift kayak ride in to shore once I'd dragged them out of the surf zone so I could go back and bring others in need, or my fellow club members, back in.

In short  no rescuee in their right mind gives a f**k beyond establishing that they're being taken to shore, or off the cliff, pronto.

And to date I've not stopped to ask anything of those I'm hauling in beyond 'are you hurt' and 'is anyone else out here'

Although I have to say, if I were to find the person in need were the person who invented this insanity of not recruiting the most able regardless of skin, sex and sexuality, I might be tempted to remind myself that I owe the arse no duty of care and watch them drown / plummet as a service to future rescuees and rescuers alike.

Barry

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=13978 time=1579698021 user_id=50
Point missed. How is it fair to discriminate against (white) men in this way? Would you be happy if women were actively and legally discriminated against?

In the case of "targets" for female recruitment, this has been going on for years and it stinks. Lowering pass thresholds and psychical standards lowers overall standards and serves no one's interest except the politically correct box tickers.

It also tends to support some racists ideas that these minority groups are thick or incapable of passing the same tests. We should not lower our standards to recruit anyone, as it lowers the standards of the Fire Brigade as a whole. Why would they want to do that?
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Point missed. How is it fair to discriminate against (white) men in this way? Would you be happy if women were actively and legally discriminated against?

In the case of "targets" for female recruitment, this has been going on for years and it stinks. Lowering pass thresholds and psychical standards lowers overall standards and serves no one's interest except the politically correct box tickers.

No the point wasn't missed but I am guilty of making a somewhat light-hearted selective point. You are absolutely right that there is far too much discrimination in favour of quotas simply to appear even handed when it is anything but. As you say it has been rife and promoted for years in pretty much every sector and I agree that in the end it does no-one any favours.

papasmurf

Where I live if it were not for women being recruited for various volunteer and retained services frankly we would be in the deep poo.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: T00ts post_id=13971 time=1579695562 user_id=54
It does make sense to have women aboard. Some women saved only by men might prefer to be put back in the ocean.  :D

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=13966 time=1579694201 user_id=89
Where I live all the fire brigade staff are retained volunteers not full time, there is a serious shortage, I suspect they would take anyone physically fit enough and able to turn up in  the time required.

There are even, (to the shock and horror of the forum misogynist,) women on the lifeboat crew.

It does make sense to have women aboard. Some women saved only by men might prefer to be put back in the ocean.  :D

papasmurf

Barry

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/28/fire-service-changes-entrance-test-deliberately-harder-white-men-8402291/">//https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/28/fire-service-changes-entrance-test-deliberately-harder-white-men-8402291/

Women and men from black, Asian and minority ethnic groups only have to score 60% on verbal and numerical tests – where as white men have to score 70%. A senior source claims the new recruitment programme, introduced in late 2017, costs £100,000 a year.

This includes £2,500 a month spent on targeted Facebook adverts which just appear on the profiles belonging to women to 'minimise white men applying', the source said. He claims West Midlands Fire and Rescue Service is the first brigade in the UK to introduce the tactic. He said]

I really do not know how they get away with this unfair discrimination.
† The end is nigh †