Olives and copper pipe

Started by Borchester, September 09, 2022, 03:38:53 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on September 10, 2022, 02:59:47 PM
Never really thought of that.

I am going to find some sort of meter to measure the actual water pressure.

I reckon that all would be well were the pipe work ok, but the last lot of stuff I got from B&Q was bent all ways to Sunday. Apparently they use plastic olives in Australia but I am blowed if I can find any in the UK, so I imagine that I will fall back on PTFE.

I am so bloody sick of this business. I have spent two weeks putting in a couple of metres of pipe and a stop cock, and the screams you can hear are
from me pissing razor blades.

I really really want to go to my allotment and dribble bollocks with the rest of the geriatrics, but I can because of this poxy plumbing.

I blame everyone else

https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/The-guaranteed-standards-scheme-GSS-summary-of-standards-and-conditions.pdf

OFWAT require the mains cold water pressure to be above 0.7 atmospheres approximately 21feet of static water pressure at all times.

Plumbing in a high rise is a challenge.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Can't say I understand your problem. 

I helped out on a couple of properties with plumbing jobs. Cleaning all surfaces with wire wool and tightening well, but not too much, worked on prestex type joints — though we only used them where Yorkshire solder fittings couldn't be used...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 09, 2022, 10:31:43 PM
The answer is the olive is a softer metal and the compression of making the connection distorts it to make a seal sufficiently watertight to withstand mains pressure.

Watching them fail as higher pressures are imposed is ... Fun.

When paid to test the solar energy rigs on top of the student union I was soldering joints to withstand hydraulic pressures of whatever the hell 10 atmospheres was
Never really thought of that.

I am going to find some sort of meter to measure the actual water pressure.

I reckon that all would be well were the pipe work ok, but the last lot of stuff I got from B&Q was bent all ways to Sunday. Apparently they use plastic olives in Australia but I am blowed if I can find any in the UK, so I imagine that I will fall back on PTFE.

I am so bloody sick of this business. I have spent two weeks putting in a couple of metres of pipe and a stop cock, and the screams you can hear are
from me pissing razor blades.

I really really want to go to my allotment and dribble bollocks with the rest of the geriatrics, but I can because of this poxy plumbing.

I blame everyone else

Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on September 09, 2022, 03:38:53 PM
The idea is that you screw the pipe into the fitting and in doing so, the olive makes the fitting water tight.

It seems bollocks to me. How can a chunk of metal seal a pipe?

But it does.

All my life I have slapped a dollop of Bosswhite and some hair on the thread and whatever happens, there is a leak. Then I start again. Clean the thread, put in a new olive and the whole thing is as sweet as a nut. No leaks.

I quite enjoy plumbing, but I don't understand it.
The answer is the olive is a softer metal and the compression of making the connection distorts it to make a seal sufficiently watertight to withstand mains pressure.

Watching them fail as higher pressures are imposed is ... Fun.

When paid to test the solar energy rigs on top of the student union I was soldering joints to withstand hydraulic pressures of whatever the hell 10 atmospheres was
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on September 09, 2022, 07:29:31 PM
I think that's when people forget to put the insert in.
Not something professionals should do,but then seen some shockers by so called trades.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on September 09, 2022, 05:55:51 PM
Yes but
They are but are also known to suddenly give way,and flood if you are not taking care.

https://www.self-build.co.uk/push-fit-plumbing-what-can-go-wrong/
I think that's when people forget to put the insert in. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on September 09, 2022, 04:56:07 PM
You sound like my late husband except he didn't understand it or stop the leaks! Push-fit is the way to go now though.
Yes but 
Quote from: Nick on September 09, 2022, 05:11:18 PM
I was just going to say, use Hep2O fittings, they're so easy.

They are but are also known to suddenly give way,and flood if you are not taking care.

https://www.self-build.co.uk/push-fit-plumbing-what-can-go-wrong/
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

You sound like my late husband except he didn't understand it or stop the leaks! Push-fit is the way to go now though.
True Toots, but as said, no one is asking my opinion.
:)
Algerie Francais !

Nick

I was just going to say, use Hep2O fittings, they're so easy. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on September 09, 2022, 03:38:53 PM
The idea is that you screw the pipe into the fitting and in doing so, the olive makes the fitting water tight.

But it does.

All my life I have slapped a dollop of Bosswhite and some hair on the thread and whatever happens, there is a leak. Then I start again. Clean the thread, put in a new olive and the whole thing is as sweet as a nut. No leaks.

Borchester

But it does.

Algerie Francais !