Blanket coverage

Started by srb7677, September 10, 2022, 09:03:46 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on September 10, 2022, 12:03:59 PM
The blanket coverage is essential. We haven't seen this process before. To be able to see who was there and who was chatting to whom was quite revealing. eg Blair in deep with Starmer. Brown with Boris. Cameron with May - all on the front row. I saw Peter Mandelson further back.

Dismiss if you will but the protocols are firmly entrenched and it has given us a continuity that would be lost if Republicans had their way.
Yes I saw them described as the great and good,and will comment in due course on that.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

The blanket coverage is essential. We haven't seen this process before. To be able to see who was there and who was chatting to whom was quite revealing. eg Blair in deep with Starmer. Brown with Boris. Cameron with May - all on the front row. I saw Peter Mandelson further back.

Dismiss if you will but the protocols are firmly entrenched and it has given us a continuity that would be lost if Republicans had their way.

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on September 10, 2022, 11:12:48 AM
So although you go some way to understanding how some feel about loyalty to the country and our late Queen you still manage to insult them. Why do those who claim the left have to be so lacking in any sense of tradition or respect for those who have upheld it throughout our history? It does them no favours.Union Flag
I guess I don't lean far enough left for some, but " God save the King", long May he reign, even in a country with a bigger social conscience than it has right now. Union Flag Union Flag

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on September 10, 2022, 11:12:48 AM
So although you go some way to understanding how some feel about loyalty to the country and our late Queen you still manage to insult them. Why do those who claim the left have to be so lacking in any sense of tradition or respect for those who have upheld it throughout our history? It does them no favours.Union Flag
I haven't Insulted anyone T00ts. Perhaps you are on one of your "left is bad" biased and might want to re read the post again given falsehoods should be corrected.

T00ts

Quote from: B0ycey on September 10, 2022, 11:02:19 AM
To be honest Steve, I agree with you but given I hardly watch the BBC or terrestrial TV in general, I have been able to carry on watching TV without much discomfort... and then there is the Internet and books you can read of course.

There is a time to Diss the Royals, but not today given I am against the system not the lady herself. I'm not mourning given I wouldn't mourn any stranger but at the same time like a stranger I am respectful on those who have died and more than happy for those who want to wave the flag to spend their time saying wonderful things on the BBC. I am not interested on what Charles has to say given I didn't give a shit what the Queen had to say either, so anyone who is trying to watch Charley waffle nonsense about "dear mommy" and instead had to watch a documentary about paintings to me is someone who has dodged a bullet in every sense of the word.

B0ycey

Quote from: srb7677 on September 10, 2022, 09:03:46 AM
Well someone needs to say this.

Whilst the death of an old lady who happens to be loved and respected by millions is all very sad, with many newsworthy  aspects that need to be reported, is not the blanket coverage of this issue to the detriment of everything else of any importance a bit excessive? Some of it seems excessively mawkish and/or sycophantic to me. I tuned into Channel 4 news yesterday because I genuinely wanted to hear the now King Charles III speak. But all I got was ten minutes of chat about paintings and photographs of the queen with no end in sight when I gave up and switched off. This over the top mawkish saturation coverage risks drowning out news of importance, including events that transpire from the queen's death. I never did get to hear King Charles speak and may have to seek it out on youtube or something. To get any news at all from the actual news is very difficult right now as genuine nuggets are being buried in a sea of overly sentimental padding.

Increasingly as the days go by this is going to start boring or annoying ever more people and we are going to hear growing noises of complaint. This of course will simply enrage ardent royalists for whom no detail is too minor to be big news and no amount of coverage can be too much. In short it will divide rather than unite the nation. Few of those who are finding the coverage excessive are prepared to say so openly yet out of respect, and I will probably be criticised for doing so here. But the patience of millions is starting to be sorely tested.

Yes, I want to hear about it. I want it in the news. There are many things we all need to know. But right now the real news is drowning in a sea of mawkish drivel
To be honest Steve, I agree with you but given I hardly watch the BBC or terrestrial TV in general, I have been able to carry on watching TV without much discomfort... and then there is the Internet and books you can read of course.

There is a time to Diss the Royals, but not today given I am against the system not the lady herself. I'm not mourning given I wouldn't mourn any stranger but at the same time like a stranger I am respectful on those who have died and more than happy for those who want to wave the flag to spend their time saying wonderful things on the BBC. I am not interested on what Charles has to say given I didn't give a shit what the Queen had to say either, so anyone who is trying to watch Charley waffle nonsense about "dear mommy" and instead had to watch a documentary about paintings to me is someone who has dodged a bullet in every sense of the word.

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on September 10, 2022, 09:24:53 AM
I knew the Republicans would not be able to wait until the funeral to start carping.
Don't see him actually doing that,he hasn't criticised her but has made a valid point.

I have heard more than a fair few non republicans saying similar.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on September 10, 2022, 09:38:23 AM
Wasn't directed at you Steve, apologies if that's how it looked. It was more a follow on. I have to say though, this is the news, and should be aired.

I have no allegiance to Charlie and the Queen knew our allegiance ended with her, I am not in mourning because I respect her contribution, she knew I was like herself in that I was never a toadie, As she was helped by us even though her family nearly ended her reign and got it in the neck from certain quarters for it, I would do the same for her again, but as she is no longer with us, I don't have too. So don't even think you have a clue.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on September 10, 2022, 09:31:31 AM
I am not saying anything bad about her, merely that the coverage is excessive and drowning out actual news. Tributes to the queen, and tales about her life are best conducted away from the news, which should be reserved for actual news.
Wasn't directed at you Steve, apologies if that's how it looked. It was more a follow on. I have to say though, this is the news, and should be aired. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 10, 2022, 09:17:09 AM
I think anyone who hasn't got anything positive to say about her at this time should keep their gob firmly shut. If not for the fact she was someone's Mother and Grandmother.
I am not saying anything bad about her, merely that the coverage is excessive and drowning out actual news. Tributes to the queen, and tales about her life are best conducted away from the news, which should be reserved for actual news.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on September 10, 2022, 09:24:53 AM
I knew the Republicans would not be able to wait until the funeral to start carping.
The news is not the place for non-stop mawkish sentimentality drowning out any actual news.

Documentaries are the place for that, maybe devote an entire BBC channel to it, but the news is the place for actual news.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

Whilst the death of an old lady who happens to be loved and respected by millions is all very sad, with many newsworthy  aspects that need to be reported, is not the blanket coverage of this issue to the detriment of everything else of any importance a bit excessive? Some of it seems excessively mawkish and/or sycophantic to me. I tuned into Channel 4 news yesterday because I genuinely wanted to hear the now King Charles III speak. But all I got was ten minutes of chat about paintings and photographs of the queen with no end in sight when I gave up and switched off. This over the top mawkish saturation coverage risks drowning out news of importance, including events that transpire from the queen's death. I never did get to hear King Charles speak and may have to seek it out on youtube or something. To get any news at all from the actual news is very difficult right now as genuine nuggets are being buried in a sea of overly sentimental padding.

Increasingly as the days go by this is going to start boring or annoying ever more people and we are going to hear growing noises of complaint. This of course will simply enrage ardent royalists for whom no detail is too minor to be big news and no amount of coverage can be too much. In short it will divide rather than unite the nation. Few of those who are finding the coverage excessive are prepared to say so openly yet out of respect, and I will probably be criticised for doing so here. But the patience of millions is starting to be sorely tested.

Yes, I want to hear about it. I want it in the news. There are many things we all need to know. But right now the real news is drowning in a sea of mawkish drivel
† The end is nigh †

Nick

I think anyone who hasn't got anything positive to say about her at this time should keep their gob firmly shut. If not for the fact she was someone's Mother and Grandmother. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sheepy

Buying time to regroup under your new King perhaps. Who is a known WEF agent. He spouts their propaganda constantly. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677