Blanket coverage

Started by srb7677, September 10, 2022, 09:03:46 AM

« previous - next »

morayloon

Quote from: Borchester on September 15, 2022, 11:23:47 PM
Ah, you mean Henry IX ?  Quite a decent bloke from all accounts, but not into the ladies at all. Which is odd when you think how his grandfather and grand uncle put it about. But there you are. By 1807 the Scottish Royals had taken themselves out of business as a result of their refusal to get stuck in and do the business:)

Ah, you speak of the Jacobite king of GB. He was a British royalist/unionist and should not have accepted the IX title. The VIIIth of that ilk was KoE.
The Jacobites were not really interested in Scotland although I have read, somewhere, that Charles Edward Stuart officially named his father James VIII, in Edinburgh, before his forces moved into England. The last official Stuart monarch's successor became king because of the Stuart lineage of his mother.
The Jacobites lost the day because of the failure of English dissidents to get behind them. Manchester was an exception and those citizens who 'came out' were as brutally treated as the people in the Highlands.
Charles would have been far better staying in Scotland, preparing the country for attack from the British army which would have, by then, been strengthened by some of the forces in France being pulled back across La Manche.
Ensconced in Edinburgh, Charles would have had more time to organise French & Spanish help which had been promised but didn't arrive.
Just saying like:)

Borchester

Quote from: morayloon on September 15, 2022, 10:23:49 PM
English/British? What about the historic Scottish monarchy? Or does that not matter. Does England=Britain in your world?

Ah, you mean Henry IX ?  Quite a decent bloke from all accounts, but not into the ladies at all. Which is odd when you think how his grandfather and grand uncle put it about. But there you are. By 1807 the Scottish Royals had taken themselves out of business as a result of their refusal to get stuck in and do the business

:)
Algerie Francais !

morayloon

Quote from: Good old on September 10, 2022, 01:06:24 PM
I don't see how this  should be thought disrespectful. In general it asks a number of very relevant questions, and prompts the asking of more. I am Royalist, but I don't see the blanket coverage as to everyone's taste. I do agree it may harden attitudes in either direction. It does blank out to a large degree other very important news, and by doing so reduce the gravity in that other news.
Why for so many Republicanism is only seen in the left wing ,I don't know. The vast majority of all serious threats and aggressive action against the English/British crown in history has been conducted by people not in the least left wing., And republicanism to this day is in the right wing as in the left.
English/British? What about the historic Scottish monarchy? Or does that not matter. Does England=Britain in your world?

srb7677

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 12, 2022, 11:29:16 AM
I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct your view
lol lol lol

I think we all know who you mean.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on September 12, 2022, 07:07:22 AM
Apparently, the Ukrainians have forced the Russians into retreat in the Kharkiv area, with evidence of weaponry and equipment abandoned in haste. The Ukrainians have retaken the strategically important city of Izyum as well as many other towns. The Russians have mostly remained silent about this other than admitting to withdrawing forces "to reinforce other areas". Russian nationalists on social media are starting to voice criticisms of their own military leadership.

Yet not a word of this is being reported in the news, which seems to regard rolling interviews with people leaving flowers all day long far more important.

I had to seek out the above news on the internet. TV news is next to useless right now when it comes to keeping us informed.
I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct your view 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2022, 11:10:19 AM
Neither have I.
To be honest one of my best friends is a staunch royalist who sobbed on the day of the news so some people do feel it.

Many more just feel a sense of respect for the queen and want to mark that, often with a tinge of sadness.

If that's how they feel then fair enough. None of us have the right to tell others how to feel.

As for wider issues of republicanism versus royalism, monarch as head of state and all that, those debates will continue in due course but are best left on hold until the queen has been laid to rest. 

We should all show that much respect - if only for the feelings of others - at least.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on September 12, 2022, 07:07:22 AM
Apparently, the Ukrainians have forced the Russians into retreat in the Kharkiv area, with evidence of weaponry and equipment abandoned in haste. The Ukrainians have retaken the strategically important city of Izyum as well as many other towns. The Russians have mostly remained silent about this other than admitting to withdrawing forces "to reinforce other areas". Russian nationalists on social media are starting to voice criticisms of their own military leadership.

Yet not a word of this is being reported in the news, which seems to regard rolling interviews with people leaving flowers all day long far more important.

I had to seek out the above news on the internet. TV news is next to useless right now when it comes to keeping us informed.
There is mention of it, but of course it is with the American proxy war twist, what they really want is a much more hardline approach to the war, careful what you wish for.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 11, 2022, 04:25:33 PMI noted the existence of a single "non royal" story on the bbc news site yesterday. Something about North Korea and its nuclear arsenal.

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on September 11, 2022, 09:47:11 PMA point never addressed is how are we to re establish our dominion over India
It was easy a couple of centuries back when they were a hotchpotch of princely statelets armed mostly with swords, spears, and at best ancient muskets, when we had rifles, artillery and gatling guns.

These days the Indians have a united state armed with nukes.

Borchester

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on September 11, 2022, 05:43:25 PM
I respect the queen because she was there when we had an empire.

Charles is too weak to make the moves we need to make to regain it.

I have more faith in William. Good name for a conqueror too.

Exactly.

A point never addressed is how are we to re establish our dominion over India when all the Indians are over here?
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on September 11, 2022, 05:43:25 PM

Well apart from the fact we'll never have an empire again and that I'm a republican you're right on one point only,William is their best hope.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

HallowedBrexit

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on September 10, 2022, 09:03:46 AM
Well someone needs to say this.

Whilst the death of an old lady who happens to be loved and respected by millions is all very sad, with many newsworthy  aspects that need to be reported, is not the blanket coverage of this issue to the detriment of everything else of any importance a bit excessive? Some of it seems excessively mawkish and/or sycophantic to me. I tuned into Channel 4 news yesterday because I genuinely wanted to hear the now King Charles III speak. But all I got was ten minutes of chat about paintings and photographs of the queen with no end in sight when I gave up and switched off. This over the top mawkish saturation coverage risks drowning out news of importance, including events that transpire from the queen's death. I never did get to hear King Charles speak and may have to seek it out on youtube or something. To get any news at all from the actual news is very difficult right now as genuine nuggets are being buried in a sea of overly sentimental padding.

Increasingly as the days go by this is going to start boring or annoying ever more people and we are going to hear growing noises of complaint. This of course will simply enrage ardent royalists for whom no detail is too minor to be big news and no amount of coverage can be too much. In short it will divide rather than unite the nation. Few of those who are finding the coverage excessive are prepared to say so openly yet out of respect, and I will probably be criticised for doing so here. But the patience of millions is starting to be sorely tested.

Yes, I want to hear about it. I want it in the news. There are many things we all need to know. But right now the real news is drowning in a sea of mawkish drivel

It was stated by various commentators that those who felt coverage and reaction to the death of Phil The Greek was OTT should brace for hell on earth as the planned disruption upon Liz's demise was to be far, far worse.

I noted the existence of a single "non royal" story on the bbc news site yesterday. Something about North Korea and its nuclear arsenal.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on September 11, 2022, 09:03:18 AM
How very wrong you all are. Was 48 hours really too much for you to bear? Already they are steadily returning a bit more to normal but they are reading the national mood and why shouldn't they? Republican you might be but my goodness you are a miserable lot and you aren't even in mourning!

I haven't met anyone in mourning yet and that includes all those I have to pander to with the notion that the death of the Queen is any worse than anyone else who died last Thursday. The death of anyone should never be celebrated. Great care should be given to the family of loss at such time. But if you don't know someone it is almost impossible to feel remorse and everyone I have spoken to, even the Royalists, are just carrying on with their lives like they should.