Corbyn refused

Started by T00ts, September 11, 2022, 08:58:59 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on September 12, 2022, 02:12:39 PM
Self interest as a primary motivating factor in what you believe and want to do is a problem if you seek to decide political and economic issues for the rest of us. Because to us it is ours and the country's interests that matter, not her own.
So you not only want no sin you want them to be inhuman too? They live a life the same as the rest of us and inevitably that colours everyone's thinking. That's not so wrong.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on September 12, 2022, 02:09:23 PM
I don't see much wrong with that, isn't it what most people do?
Self interest as a primary motivating factor in what you believe and want to do is a problem if you seek to decide political and economic issues for the rest of us. Because to us it is ours and the country's interests that matter, not her own.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on September 12, 2022, 02:05:57 PM
You mean discovered what was good for her?
I don't see much wrong with that, isn't it what most people do? 

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on September 12, 2022, 02:01:53 PM
I think you will find that her left wing parents dominated her view until she grew up.
You mean discovered what was good for her? 
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2022, 01:26:32 PM
Liz Truss hates the Monarchy as well and that is well documented.
True she once called for it's abolition. 

Opinions can change over time though. Though sadly the direction of travel is most often motivated by self interest, aided and abetted by a certain - shall we say - "flexibility" where once-cherished principles are concerned.

T00ts

I think you will find that her left wing parents dominated her view until she grew up.

patman post

Liz Truss is on video calling for the abolition of the monarchy some years ago when she was in another political party.

She's changed party, changed her views on the EU from remain to leave, and will probably have sworn allegiance to two monarchs by the end of the week. So how seriously should we take her views on anything...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 12, 2022, 10:14:24 AM
The point surely is that if he had become PM part of his role would have been close contact with the Queen. His very obvious contempt for anything Royal is as everyone agrees well documented, 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HallowedBrexit

Jeremy Corbyn is one of the main reasons I voted to leave in 2016.

Jeremy Corbyn is one of the reasons I wish this country still had gallows.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on September 11, 2022, 08:58:59 AM
Apparently Corbyn would have automatically been invited yesterday to Charles' accession ceremony but turned down the invitation and goes to prove why he was not worthy to lead this country. 
Actually not all of the Privy Council were invited anyway, so it is a non story.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on September 12, 2022, 11:35:06 AMIf people are going to be so sensitive to comments about their particular icon there is little point being here at all.
It's just debate. No need for you to be so sensitive to reasonable and reasoned criticism.

Corbyn is not my icon by the way.

T00ts

Ok To give him his due he apparently did go today for the political formalities. So good for him!

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on September 12, 2022, 10:56:57 AM
To you perhaps. Others might just see a man standing by his principles, a rare thing in politics.

If he had been a PM, speaking with the queen would have been part of his job. Attending her funeral or anything else simply isn't and is more open to personal conscience.

The fact that he is now yesterday's man makes whatever he does an irrelevance anyway unless he were to do something dramatic like found and lead a new party with traction. Until then, there really is no point in you banging on about him. Still less you banging on about his unsuitability for a job he never got and is never going to get.

I think I'd make a rather poor Minister for Culture, Media and Sport. Would you like to take this opportunity to attack me for my unsuitability for the role, even though I never had that job and never will? If so, fire away.

But it is fantasy politics, nothing more.
Oh don't be so touchy! There were lots of irrelevant people there because they were invited and perhaps it was a bit of an honour for him. I thought the fact that he turned it down was a bit of a vindication for him losing both the election and the leadership. It's just healthy debate or so I thought. If people are going to be so sensitive to comments about their particular icon there is little point being here at all.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on September 12, 2022, 10:14:24 AMHe has made his stand but it simply comes across as gross rudeness and rather arrogant.
To you perhaps. Others might just see a man standing by his principles, a rare thing in politics.

If he had been a PM, speaking with the queen would have been part of his job. Attending her funeral or anything else simply isn't and is more open to personal conscience.

The fact that he is now yesterday's man makes whatever he does an irrelevance anyway unless he were to do something dramatic like found and lead a new party with traction. Until then, there really is no point in you banging on about him. Still less you banging on about his unsuitability for a job he never got and is never going to get.

I think I'd make a rather poor Minister for Culture, Media and Sport. Would you like to take this opportunity to attack me for my unsuitability for the role, even though I never had that job and never will? If so, fire away.

But it is fantasy politics, nothing more.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on September 12, 2022, 10:02:56 AM
In essence I agree. Like all former leaders he is essentially yesterday's man.

What difference would it make whether he attends or not? And why should anyone even care either way? Unless a cheap attempt to score political points one way or another.
The point surely is that if he had become PM part of his role would have been close contact with the Queen. His very obvious contempt for anything Royal is as everyone agrees well documented, so surely to expect him to change his ways and therefore bow and converse with the Queen would have created a constitutional dilemma. The electorate knew that and even now in her death he is unable to bend. He has made his stand but it simply comes across as gross rudeness and rather arrogant.