Mrs wants to watch the Queen's funeral live on telly

Started by Barry, September 12, 2022, 03:58:05 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2022, 06:02:09 PM
If you watch terrestrial TV it makes you a criminal.
Not strictly true,if Baz's missus choose to watch the funeral on itv+1 then it's not live tv I am assuming of course itv will be covering the event.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 12, 2022, 03:58:05 PM
But I won't pay for a TV licence.

Does this make me a bad person?

Should a TV licence be necessary to watch the Queen's funeral live?
If you watch terrestrial TV it makes you a criminal.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Barry on September 13, 2022, 01:43:20 PM
No problem. No UHF antenna connected here and certainly no satellite box. All our TV is either Prime free trials, Netflix, or ITV/CH4/CH5 catchup. We also watch a fair bit from YouTube.
Ok 😉 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: Nick on September 13, 2022, 12:28:09 AM
They've changed the wording now so you can watch on demand media without a license. I bet if you have an aerial or sky box connected to the TV the onus will be on you to prove you've never watched live TV.
No problem. No UHF antenna connected here and certainly no satellite box. All our TV is either Prime free trials, Netflix, or ITV/CH4/CH5 catchup. We also watch a fair bit from YouTube.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: Barry on September 12, 2022, 06:38:39 PM
No it is not.
https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence#:~:text=Overview,catch%20up%20or%20on%20demand
They've changed the wording now so you can watch on demand media without a license. I bet if you have an aerial or sky box connected to the TV the onus will be on you to prove you've never watched live TV. 

Barry

I think the Wetherspoons idea is a good one, I like unicorns and Brexiteers, but I'll probably plump for a local pub as it's a 25 minute journey to the nearest Spoons.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 12, 2022, 06:48:02 PM
You won't get a good meal in Wetherspoons, the stopped doing proper food a long time ago.
And it is run by a knob with a gob who campaigned for Brexit then moaned when he couldn't get cheap labour from Europe anymore.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on September 12, 2022, 04:03:16 PM
I doubt the old bill is going to collar you for a one time offence Barry. But why don't you go halfway. Take a trip to whetherspoons. You can get pissed and have a good meal and she can wear black and have a sniffle.
You won't get a good meal in Wetherspoons, the stopped doing proper food a long time ago.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

† The end is nigh †

srb7677

I think you can agree to pay it monthly by direct debit though they charge you double for the first year to get you a year ahead in payments. Which they don't do if you pay quarterly which is why that's my preferred option.

But the point is your first monthly debit will cover two months TV. Just cancel immediately afterwards. Then instead of paying for a full year's license you have only paid for two months. As long as that two months covers the day of the funeral, you're legal. Sorted. Especially if you wait until after the funeral to cancel the debit if the first payment has been taken before that.

Assuming you don't want to be a slightly naughtier boy and just watch it unlicensed. The chances of being caught are utterly minimal
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

A TV license is required for any item capable of displaying a TV picture. 

cromwell

As per BOycey said for one day who'll care?

Anyway the days of the licence fee are numbered I reckon.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on September 12, 2022, 04:05:39 PM
But it's a Bank Holiday won't they be shut?
A pub closed on a Bank Holiday... that's a good one. You writing comedy?

T00ts

Quote from: B0ycey on September 12, 2022, 04:03:16 PM
I doubt the old bill is going to collar you for a one time offence Barry. But why don't you go halfway. Take a trip to whetherspoons. You can get pissed and have a good meal and she can wear black and have a sniffle.
But it's a Bank Holiday won't they be shut?

B0ycey