Where have all the skilled tradesmen gone.

Started by papasmurf, September 14, 2022, 01:22:43 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 14, 2022, 03:44:05 PM

I would not trust those jokers to install a motorised one.

Frankly. Knowing what I know now. neither would I. Where I live it is further complicated by the fact that the satellite at 0 degrees is below the horizon, so I will have to set up on one that is at around 5 degrees West and compensate for that. Last time I did the set-up I managed to get 97% strength and 97% quality on every satellite on the arc. (It did take a long time though.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on September 14, 2022, 01:22:43 PM
My motorised satellite dish system has died, (only lasted ten years.) New system on the way. However I have the same problem as I did with the first one. I have to fit it and set it up myself because there are no tradesmen to do so anywhere in the UK.
(I had problems sourcing a system that has the same wall fitting as the old one.) The new system has a record facility the old one did not.

As someone who built Inmarsat ground stations and assisted in preparing the satellite subsystems for insertion into the launch vehicles, I would say with some degree of certainty there has not been a "tradesman" available to do this job properly in the UK since the late sixties.

I obviously set up my own static dish in this house and the predecessor because sky wanted an obscene amount of money to do the installation. 

I would not trust those jokers to install a motorised one.

Frankly, the engineers at goonhilly responsible for pointing the earth station transceivers at the AOR and WOR hot birds underwhelmed me but that's probably because one of my grandma's cousins was a radio ham from whom I learned quite a bit.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

My motorised satellite dish system has died, (only lasted ten years.) New system on the way. However I have the same problem as I did with the first one. I have to fit it and set it up myself because there are no tradesmen to do so anywhere in the UK.
(I had problems sourcing a system that has the same wall fitting as the old one.) The new system has a record facility the old one did not.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe