Where have all the skilled tradesmen gone.

Started by papasmurf, September 14, 2022, 01:22:43 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 15, 2022, 06:36:38 PM
This could get "interesting." Motorised satellite kit arrived to-day. A couple of boxes of nuts, bolts, washers, mounting plates, slotted brackets with degree markings in the kit and no instructions of how to fit it all together
I ran a Sky franchise out of Irlam in the late 1980's and did a few motorised systems. If it's on a pole it must be exactly vertical, wall mount should be south facing. Get your peak signal at as close to 180 degrees as possible (Intelsat) and then adjust your angles. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

This could get "interesting." Motorised satellite kit arrived to-day. A couple of boxes of nuts, bolts, washers, mounting plates, slotted brackets with degree markings in the kit and no instructions of how to fit it all together
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on September 15, 2022, 12:07:40 PM
After a couple of bad experiences with building companies and tradespeople who scour most of London and the southeast for business, I only use local companies.

Firstly they start early, and not at 10am having travelled in from distant Essex, and leave around 3:30pm to go home. And maintenance and service providers tend to stick to appointment times — though I don't automatically include large service concerns in that positive appraisal.

But then we're probably lucky in London having a large and competitive market that attracts even the rarest of building and appliance installation and maintenance skills...

Same goes for Hertfordshire

We had a lad who came from a part of China that not even he could find on the map. He started early, finished late, was probably sleeping in the garden shed and didn't seem to know much English beyond please, thank you and please pay cash. But he did a fine job on the roof.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

After a couple of bad experiences with building companies and tradespeople who scour most of London and the southeast for business, I only use local companies. 

Firstly they start early, and not at 10am having travelled in from distant Essex, and leave around 3:30pm to go home. And maintenance and service providers tend to stick to appointment times — though I don't automatically include large service concerns in that positive appraisal.

But then we're probably lucky in London having a large and competitive market that attracts even the rarest of building and appliance installation and maintenance skills...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on September 15, 2022, 11:09:28 AM
True.

Tradesmen know more than me and are faster, but I am not going anywhere in a rush and I come cheap
My experience of using local tradesmen is the majority should be wearing a cowboy hat and boots.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 15, 2022, 10:44:06 AM
I would do it myself. I've installed static systems for myself and friends.
Never installed a motorised system, diseqc etc. but I can follow instructions. You have plenty of engineering skills, too.
I installed my own motorised system over 10 years ago. (I could find no-one to do the job.) The local salt corrosion has killed it.  I wanted a similar system to replace as the heavy duty wall mount is still OK. (That has to be VERY precisely installed.)
I will be replacing the old co-ax with new. (I have some connectors to drag the new through using the old.)

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on September 15, 2022, 10:44:06 AM
Never installed a motorised system, diseqc etc. but I can follow instructions. You have plenty of engineering skills, too.

True.

Tradesmen know more than me and are faster, but I am not going anywhere in a rush and I come cheap
Algerie Francais !

Barry

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 15, 2022, 09:37:25 AM
But you said:

which is plainly false.
You might not be prepared to pay for them, of course.
That is what the supplier of the motorised satellite kit stated. (Not one they would trust anyway.) In any case the link provided, on the forum would be hellishly expensive, they would have two hours travelling time plus the installation can take up to five hours.
Also, there is very little detail on their website.
I have done the job before. Locally there are loads of static satellite system fitters but none who will touch a motorises system.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on September 14, 2022, 08:14:22 PM
It has but I suggest you take a close look at that link. They would charge a fortune in travelling time and no prices are shown.
But you said:

Quotebecause there are no tradesmen to do so anywhere in the UK.

which is plainly false.
You might not be prepared to pay for them, of course.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on September 14, 2022, 08:08:18 PM
Oh, that explains it. Google hasn't got down to Cornishland yet. :)
It has but I suggest you take a close look at that link. They would charge a fortune in travelling time and no prices are shown.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 14, 2022, 05:26:33 PM
Motorised satellite covering Cornwall.

https://westcornwallaerials.co.uk/satellite-installation/
Odd they never answered my enquiry. (Nor did "Trust a Trader.") I also shudder to think what they would charge.

Barry

† The end is nigh †