Boris Johnson resignation: Did the outgoing prime minister meet his pledges?

Started by BBC News , September 16, 2022, 07:00:04 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on September 19, 2022, 09:38:46 PM
 To claim otherwise is inherently racist.
It is NOT racist it is factual.  The village and corner grocery shops that have stood the test of time and recent problems are majority Asian family owned.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2022, 07:46:20 PM
It is fact-based assumption, going back to when Idi Amin expelled all the Ugandan Asians most of whom came to Britain.  Nothing to do with racism.
Assuming that ethnicity is itself the deciding factor in how good or crap someone is at something is a racist assumption.

The deciding factors are always going to be economic and social - how helpful and friendly are they, how competitive in price, what their opening hours are. Anyone of any ethnicity doing the same thing would get the same result. To claim otherwise is inherently racist.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on September 19, 2022, 07:11:15 PM
To assume that ethnicity itself is relevant, rather than simply opening hours, affordability, and other economic factors is a racist assumption.

It is fact-based assumption, going back to when Idi Amin expelled all the Ugandan Asians most of whom came to Britain.  Nothing to do with racism. 

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2022, 07:01:16 PM
The reality is it is very relevant.
To assume that ethnicity itself is relevant, rather than simply opening hours, affordability, and other economic factors is a racist assumption.

Do you think some races are genetically better equipped to run shops than others?

Because it is but a short step from that to assuming that some races are inherently fitter to rule than others and suchlike racist bollox.

If ethnic minorities of any particular stripe succeed as shopkeepers because they open all hours, it is the fact that they open all hours that is decisive, not their ethnicity.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2022, 06:01:45 PM
In my opinion to set up a successful village store usual takes an ethnic minority immigrant family who are prepared to open as near to 24/7/365 days a year as they can.
Ethnicity is irrelevent. Shops that are prepared to open all hours every day obviously have a greater chance of success, whatever the ethnic origins of the shopkeeper and his employees.

Nevertheless, they still need customers to be viable and this could constrain opening hours.

For example, there is no point in paying someone to keep the store open til midnight if there are hardly any customers after 10pm. In such a situation, closing at 10pm would make the most business sense.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 19, 2022, 03:11:32 PM
 the setting up of a village store begins with a single idealistic customer...
In my opinion to set up a successful village store usual takes an ethnic minority immigrant family who are prepared to open as near to 24/7/365 days a year as they can. 

srb7677

Quote from: patman post on September 19, 2022, 03:11:32 PM
To paraphrase, someone who you appear to loosely model your political views to: the setting up of a village store begins with a single idealistic customer...
But it won't last long without many others. Blaming one person not shopping somewhere for the loss of a business, as if that one person is all it needs is just silly. 

patman post

Quote from: srb7677 on September 18, 2022, 09:01:47 PM
It takes more than one person buying somewhere to keep a business afloat.

So your gibes are cheap.
To paraphrase, someone who you appear to loosely model your political views to: the setting up of a village store begins with a single idealistic customer...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on September 19, 2022, 02:02:14 PM
He'd probably have them all shot.
He is probably one of those types in Cornwall who we find sitting in the local pub with a couple of likeminded friends, scowling at anyone they don't recognise as a local. 

Many Cornish come in two main types. Those who hate outsiders for whom they have a derogatory name - "emmets".

And those who see them as an opportunity to make money by ripping them off. 

Even someone from just across the river in Devon like me is regarded with suspicion, but we live close enough to the Cornish to have learned certain basic facts, having spent much time amongst them. For example, always learn where the locals shop and go there, avoiding the tourist hotspots. In the latter you will only ever get ripped off, paying well over the odds.

One thing Smurf doesn't seem to get is that the real problem for Cornwall is not the hordes of tourists and their money coming down for a week or two, but the second home owners buying up all the local property and forcing locals out, and killing villages with their mostly empty houses most of the year. 

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on September 19, 2022, 12:20:43 PM
The Cornish economy is utterly dependent upon tourism right now. You personally may not be but many people down there are. I live near enough to Cornwall to visit regularly, have friends who live there, and even my workplace is in Cornwall with most of my colleagues being Cornish. The local economy relies on a tourist influx. To replace that would necessitate alternative industries or the impoverishment of the Cornish will be much worse.

How in any case would you propose to restrict tourism?
He'd probably have them all shot.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2022, 11:19:57 AM
You were NOT in my neck of the woods and your miniscule personal experience did not reflect the hell hole Cornwall has been made by over-tourism.  The complaints were legion and very well reported and debated in the House of Commons.
The Cornish economy is utterly dependent upon tourism right now. You personally may not be but many people down there are. I live near enough to Cornwall to visit regularly, have friends who live there, and even my workplace is in Cornwall with most of my colleagues being Cornish. The local economy relies on a tourist influx. To replace that would necessitate alternative industries or the impoverishment of the Cornish will be much worse.

How in any case would you propose to restrict tourism?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 19, 2022, 11:17:18 AM
You forget I was in your neck of the woods last summer and your version of an apocalypse simply isn't true. I even posted photos of full shelves in Tescos when you were saying the shelves were empty.
You were NOT in my neck of the woods and your miniscule personal experience did not reflect the hell hole Cornwall has been made by over-tourism.  The complaints were legion and very well reported and debated in the House of Commons.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 18, 2022, 12:14:00 PM
What SME's in the high street? (Seriously) In the nearest town to me they mostly disappeared a long time ago. It is mostly charity shops these days.

A video for you, not that you will be bothered to watch it though:-
British Exporters Massively Down Since Leaving Single Market - YouTube
You forget I was in your neck of the woods last summer and your version of an apocalypse simply isn't true. I even posted photos of full shelves in Tescos when you were saying the shelves were empty. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on September 18, 2022, 03:37:07 PM
Well, if you had patronised them they would not have disappeared would they?

Basic economics happened to someone else didn't it Pappy?
It takes more than one person buying somewhere to keep a business afloat.

So your gibes are cheap.