Anyone good on electronics?

Started by Borchester, January 23, 2020, 03:23:20 PM

« previous - next »

Baron von Lotsov

If you want to reverse-engineer something then first of all find out what it is supposed to do.

The battery is nickel–metal hydride and the charging regime is constant voltage at a low current until fully charged and then off, since if you keep on charging you will damage the battery. There are two ways to achieve this. You either have a small microprocessor to do it like those pic chips, or you use analogue electronics. A posh charger will of course use a microprocessor and probably even have an LCD screen to tell you what is going on, but these things are made to be dirt cheap and also very low power, so it will be using analogue electronics. In chips you can't have large capacitors, only ones of a few pF, so chips are mainly transistors and resistors. If you want a large capacitance in a chip circuit it either has to be external or simulated using a small capacitor and transistors. Likewise with inductors, they are rarely used except in very high frequency microwave type chips. There are a few small analogue chips where the data sheet gives the entire schematic of the chip, like the 555 and the 741, but it is nearly always the case that data sheets only give block diagrams of chips and possibly equivalent circuits for inputs and outputs for interfacing with it.  

You'll just have to stick with what you have.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=14178 time=1579953705 user_id=63
If it's not a daft question, what (apart from educating yourself) are you trying to achieve ?? what problem are you trying to solve. Because the golden rule of the business I'm in (which admittedly is these days more software than soldering) is "if it isn't broke (and the supply of spares is plentiful) don't ***k with it"

I know nothing about them. I have a dim memory from uni about using Norton's Theorem to find equivalent circuits and thought it might be fun to investigate. I also have a mountain of cheap, cheerful and broken solar powered fairly lights that I would like to fix. But :D  mostly I would like to know a bit more than I do now.

:hattip
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester post_id=14171 time=1579949781 user_id=62
Thanks John. I rather suspected that it had been patented. Bloody Chines. After all that opium we gave them.

Apparently the point of a Shoktty diode is that it is fast, which is what one needs in a computer. I shall crack on until I find some crooked little nerd who has broken the Chinese patent wall.

If it's not a daft question, what (apart from educating yourself) are you trying to achieve ?? what problem are you trying to solve. Because the golden rule of the business I'm in (which admittedly is these days more software than soldering) is "if it isn't broke (and the supply of spares is plentiful) don't ***k with it"
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=14165 time=1579935977 user_id=63
A shoktty diode and a couple of (presumably transistor) switches. So says the text of the data sheet. What's more useful is the statement that the thing is patented. So the patent office in the country if registration is your best bet to find out exactly what's inside it.

Fifty years ago I would have known what a shoktty diode was. Regrettably today I've no bloody idea. I stopped soldering things about thirty years ago...

Thanks John. I rather suspected that it had been patented. Bloody Chines. After all that opium we gave them.

Apparently the point of a Shoktty diode is that it is fast, which is what one needs in a computer. I shall crack on until I find some crooked little nerd who has broken the Chinese patent wall.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester post_id=14095 time=1579816684 user_id=62
Many thanks.

The problem is that none of the diagrams explain what is actually inside the IC.

But thanks again

A shoktty diode and a couple of (presumably transistor) switches. So says the text of the data sheet. What's more useful is the statement that the thing is patented. So the patent office in the country if registration is your best bet to find out exactly what's inside it.

Fifty years ago I would have known what a shoktty diode was. Regrettably today I've no bloody idea. I stopped soldering things about thirty years ago...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell post_id=14101 time=1579820363 user_id=48
You wart eyed wazack  :rant:  :lol:

look at post no 4,did you read the pdf like I asked?

The wiring diagram is in that,here's the link..again! :roll:  :kikass:  :lol:

http://www.datasheetcafe.com/5252f-datasheet-pdf-led-driver/">//http://www.datasheetcafe.com/5252f-datasheet-pdf-led-driver/

Don't shout at me!

I have a wife, children and grandchildren to do that.

Actually, many thanks. It is just that the Functional Block Diagram gave three main blocks: the light sensor, over discharge protection and the driver. I assume that those are actually made up of tiny inductors, capacitors and those gates that I could never figure out when I was at Uni. And I thought it might be fun to try sorting it all out without resorting to a breadboard.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester post_id=14097 time=1579817228 user_id=62
Then crack on and give me the answer. I am not a young man any more and you kids should expect to repeat yourselves three or four times

You wart eyed wazack  :rant:  :lol:

look at post no 4,did you read the pdf like I asked?

The wiring diagram is in that,here's the link..again! :roll:  :kikass:  :lol:

http://www.datasheetcafe.com/5252f-datasheet-pdf-led-driver/">//http://www.datasheetcafe.com/5252f-datasheet-pdf-led-driver/
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=14098 time=1579817986 user_id=51
That's because what is inside the IC is a tiny computer and it's magic.  :hattip

Actually, I am beginning to suspect that.  :hattip
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: Borchester post_id=14095 time=1579816684 user_id=62
Many thanks.

The problem is that none of the diagrams explain what is actually inside the IC.

But thanks again

That's because what is inside the IC is a tiny computer and it's magic.  :hattip
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell post_id=14087 time=1579808360 user_id=48
You bloody numpty you started two threads on same subject 5 minutes apart,tried to answer your question hours ago. :fcplm:  :lol:

Then crack on and give me the answer. I am not a young man any more and you kids should expect to repeat yourselves three or four times  :hattip
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=14072 time=1579800101 user_id=74
OK that makes sense. It's an all in one chip for solar LED lighting. It looks like a boost converter, where it takes a particular voltage range from the solar panel, then it converts that to charge the battery, which needs to be charged a certain way, either constant voltage or constant current, depending on the type and at a higher voltage than the input from the panel. The diode and inductor are part of the boost converter circuit and the rest is in the chip.

This link explains what a boost converter is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter

Many thanks.

But thanks again
Algerie Francais !

Scott777

Quote from: Borchester post_id=14063 time=1579793000 user_id=62
I know b all about the subject but would like to find out something.

So to start with, the QX5252F, which is an IC. When I look it up I get something like this..

Which is clever stuff but just shows the IC with a a few inductors and such attached. It does not show how the QX5252F is actually made up.

So if anyone has any idea of how I can find a circuit diagram of this particular IC I would be much obliged.

I could never get into electronics at college, but batterie might be a battery.  Or not.  :thup:
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester post_id=14063 time=1579793000 user_id=62

So to start with, the QX5252F, which is an IC. When I look it up I get something like this..

https://www.madeinfck.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/SolarLightDiagram.png">

Which is clever stuff but just shows the IC with a a few inductors and such attached. It does not show how the QX5252F is actually made up.

So if anyone has any idea of how I can find a circuit diagram of this particular IC I would be much obliged.

You bloody numpty you started two threads on same subject 5 minutes apart,tried to answer your question hours ago. :fcplm:  :lol:
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

Quote from: T00ts post_id=14064 time=1579793107 user_id=54
Why don't you try baking instead?   :D

Wouldn't that only be good for oven chips...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Borchester post_id=14065 time=1579793282 user_id=62

https://www.madeinfck.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/SolarLightDiagram.png">

OK that makes sense. It's an all in one chip for solar LED lighting. It looks like a boost converter, where it takes a particular voltage range from the solar panel, then it converts that to charge the battery, which needs to be charged a certain way, either constant voltage or constant current, depending on the type and at a higher voltage than the input from the panel. The diode and inductor are part of the boost converter circuit and the rest is in the chip.

This link explains what a boost converter is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>