Brexit. Good or bad?

Started by srb7677, September 17, 2022, 07:19:18 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on October 16, 2022, 01:19:54 PM
That's not what the bus said, 350m a week EXTRA. That's money being wasted on the EU post brexit coming to the NHS. It turns out that was a total lie. There was no monetary bonus for leaving the EU, the fact was leaving the EU cost multiple times more than being a member.
You need a specify coloured passport to restore your identity, wow. Lapdog ?  you must suffer from very low self esteem. Being in the EU countries share decision making, maybe you prefer to be a empire ruling the lowly Europeans, this must be very hard for you to deal with.
News flash, it was never gone, you always had your Sovereignty. The death of the Queen says a lot about that woman, her sacrifice, its says nothing about your country.
You said it, it will absorb every penny. You could throw billions and billions at it, it would never be enough. Like most health services around the globe, but why the UK looks at it's health service with such pride is beyond me. Yes pride in the people that work there, but pride in how it functions is nuts.
You very much were, you were sold the lie that it would be much better out of the EU, the sunny unicorn uplands, how can you forget.  There was no consensus for what brexit was, it was full of meaningless slogans and every person had their own version of what it was.
NHS budget has increased by more than the £350 million a week. Just out of interest, show me where the buS said an extra £350 would go to the NHS, I know you can't cause it doesn't. 

As for the rest, just the same old same old, we got what we wanted and we are happy with it. And you hanging around telling us that haven't doesn't make the slightest difference. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2022, 09:41:26 PMMore than £350 million a week has gone to the NHS. 
That's not what the bus said, 350m a week EXTRA. That's money being wasted on the EU post brexit coming to the NHS. It turns out that was a total lie. There was no monetary bonus for leaving the EU, the fact was leaving the EU cost multiple times more than being a member.

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2022, 09:41:26 PMBlue passports have restored our identity as a nation and not lapdog. 
You need a specify coloured passport to restore your identity, wow. Lapdog ?  you must suffer from very low self esteem. Being in the EU countries share decision making, maybe you prefer to be a empire ruling the lowly Europeans, this must be very hard for you to deal with.

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2022, 09:41:26 PMSovereignty has been restored, just cause you don't feel it means nothing. The death of the Queen and the worlds response says a lot about our country. 
News flash, it was never gone, you always had your Sovereignty. The death of the Queen says a lot about that woman, her sacrifice, its says nothing about your country.

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2022, 09:41:26 PM"Now have a failed NHS", it's been on life support for 40 years, Brexit has done nothing to harm it, it will absorb every penny thrown at it. 
You said it, it will absorb every penny. You could throw billions and billions at it, it would never be enough. Like most health services around the globe, but why the UK looks at it's health service with such pride is beyond me. Yes pride in the people that work there, but pride in how it functions is nuts.

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2022, 09:41:26 PMWe weren't sold anything, we voted for what we had be asking for for years, the fact it annoys you just makes it even more sweet. 
You very much were, you were sold the lie that it would be much better out of the EU, the sunny unicorn uplands, how can you forget.  There was no consensus for what brexit was, it was full of meaningless slogans and every person had their own version of what it was.

Baff

It's gone pretty well from my perspective.
Certainly better than I expected on a lot of levels.

Although the Truss premiership is dampening my enthusiasm for that statement currently.

Economically it has been a significant success.
Who believed all those daft scare stories anyway? But I had to factor in some worst case scenario's and thankfully none of them have come to pass.
Quite the opposite. 

Socially, politically, this has essentially been an almost exclusively peaceful transfer of power. Much better than I expected.

It hasn't been a perfect score. The 5th column made real hash of our EU negotiations. I don't know why I didn't see that coming. But we could have done so much better on that front with a unified country. NI is still unfinished business. And there is still quite a few unhappy people desperate to retake control of the country that has openly rejected their rule. With all the associated shenanigans.

Future concerns.
Remainers are back in ascendancy in parliament. Farage will rise again. The purge from office of these people was not taken anywhere near far enough.
Not just in terms of parliament but also in all the apparatus of state. From schools to BBC to the civil service. There is no real internal pressure to do it. Boris sacked them all in his own party, but they were his personal friends so he reinstated them right after. Nowhere else purged them at all.
That democratic pressure will have to be kept up for multiple decades to change the culture. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on October 15, 2022, 09:26:23 PM
Brexit was a flawed concept. Brexit wasn't going to correct any of the things that were adversely affecting the UK in 2016.
Leaving the EU political construct was not a failed concept . There was nothing wrong with the idea of running our affairs as opposed to having to tow the European line . 2016 was just a moment in time  the future within the EU with further integration and less say was a big problem for many people 

Where did the £350m a week go?
Dont know , ask Boris or Sunak 

What did new blue/black passports achieve?
It gave remoaners something to moan about ,for everyone else it was just a bit of fun . 
How has the UK's "regained" sovereignty played out?
The tories are still trying to work that one out 
How many of the 75 million Turks actually arrived and needed to be turned away?

Turkey pulled out of joining and we left so that particular problem  never arose 

Now we have a failing NHS, transport strikes, postal strikes, a struggling economy, empty supermarket shelves (despite Nick looking at/posting old photos of happier times) — even magistrates and lawyers have become belligerent.

Nothing to do with brexit . Just people being anti tory 
Face it, you were sold a pup by politically motivated snake oil sales people, who probably never thought they'd win the referendum, and then didn't know what to do with it when they did...
As I keep saying the people that wanted Brexit never got a chance to have a say in it . The Tories, a remain party have been making a mess of it from day one  

Nick

So if Ariane Grande promised to run water uphill, and you thought that might be interesting, you'd vote for her?

Brexit was a flawed concept. Brexit wasn't going to correct any of the things that were adversely affecting the UK in 2016.

Now we have a failing NHS, transport strikes, postal strikes, a struggling economy, empty supermarket shelves (despite Nick looking at/posting old photos of happier times) — even magistrates and lawyers have become belligerent.

Face it, you were sold a pup by politically motivated snake oil sales people, who probably never thought they'd win the referendum, and then didn't know what to do with it when they did...
More than £350 million a week has gone to the NHS. 

Blue passports have restored our identity as a nation and not lapdog. 

Sovereignty has been restored, just cause you don't feel it means nothing. The death of the Queen and the worlds response says a lot about our country. 

"Now have a failed NHS", it's been on life support for 40 years, Brexit has done nothing to harm it, it will absorb every penny thrown at it. 

We weren't sold anything, we voted for what we had be asking for for years, the fact it annoys you just makes it even more sweet. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on October 14, 2022, 07:16:48 PM
Certainly was,I only voted Tory because they were the only option that promised to honour the referendum,Tory posters on here told me she'd carry it through .....she was rubbish and then I was told  Truss would be up to the job,wrong again.
So if Ariane Grande promised to run water uphill, and you thought that might be interesting, you'd vote for her?

Now we have a failing NHS, transport strikes, postal strikes, a struggling economy, empty supermarket shelves (despite Nick looking at/posting old photos of happier times) — even magistrates and lawyers have become belligerent.

Face it, you were sold a pup by politically motivated snake oil sales people, who probably never thought they'd win the referendum, and then didn't know what to do with it when they did...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: B0ycey on October 14, 2022, 09:17:14 PM
Well I will agree you have a remainer in :)...Hunt.
QuoteTruss is a weathercock
. Perhaps not Brexiteer enough for you but most definitely a full blown Leaver to me.
I should've edited it for accuracy but that's not on
QuoteTruss is a cockup 
::)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 14, 2022, 09:08:04 PM
Revolution !
Ha, the new revolutionaries are on the block, just stop oil, which anyone with an iota of sense knows won't happen until there is a replacement, which isn't even in the near future, it is all pie in sky, while the elite jet around laughing their heads off. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

B0ycey

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 14, 2022, 09:12:55 PM
I dunno we now have a remainer PM and a remainer number two in Hunt . The next shaking of hands will be interesting

Well I will agree you have a remainer in Cun...Hunt. Truss is a weathercock. Perhaps not Brexiteer enough for you but most definitely a full blown Leaver to me.

Streetwalker

Quote from: B0ycey on October 14, 2022, 09:03:25 PM
Spoken with true sense Streetwalker. You were given a pack of lies and the promise never matched reality. Although I disagree that we are closer to rejoining than leaving. We have left and neither Starmer nor Truss (or whoever is in charge) will change that.
I dunno we now have a remainer PM and a remainer number two in Hunt . The next shaking of hands will be interesting 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Sheepy on October 14, 2022, 09:00:55 PM
It would be the finish of the Westminster party and they know it, which is why they are doing it behind closed doors. At the moment they are being brought back into the globalist line.
Revolution !

B0ycey

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 14, 2022, 08:56:37 PM
In hindsight Union Flag

Maybe it would have been better if we had not had a referendum . Let the anti EU movement played out and become the elected party of the UK . We wouldnt have had the dogs dinner of a brexit the tories have offered nor the opposition from the remoaners .
It may have taken another couple of GE  but as it is its taken that long anyway and we are closer to rejoining than leaving
Spoken with true sense Streetwalker. You were given a pack of lies and the promise never matched reality. Although I disagree that we are closer to rejoining than leaving. We have left and neither Starmer nor Truss (or whoever is in charge) will change that.

Sheepy

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 14, 2022, 08:56:37 PM
In hindsight Union Flag

Maybe it would have been better if we had not had a referendum . Let the anti EU movement played out and become the elected party of the UK . We wouldnt have had the dogs dinner of a brexit the tories have offered nor the opposition from the remoaners .
It may have taken another couple of GE  but as it is its taken that long anyway and we are closer to rejoining than leaving
It would be the finish of the Westminster party and they know it, which is why they are doing it behind closed doors. At the moment they are being brought back into the globalist line. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Streetwalker

In hindsight Union Flag

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on September 17, 2022, 04:33:10 PM
I didn't know that!
I Googled it and Papa's favoured ONS says exactly that.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/uktrade/may2022
excellent.
Well, how much of that is down to the dollar being at a twenty year high compared to BOTH the pound AND the euro

Edit of thread header bexit to brexit
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>