Main Menu

Queen's funeral

Started by srb7677, September 19, 2022, 11:46:54 AM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

I watched the service at Westminster Abbey and the procession to the Wellington Arch until the Queen's coffin was transferred to the hearse for the journey to Windsor.

I don't know if it was my duty to watch it but I wanted to do so. Although I'm not a monarchist in principle, the Queen herself was an exemplary head-of-state. It would be good if Charles could continue in that way. 
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on September 19, 2022, 11:46:54 AM
Is watching the Queen's funeral a patriotic duty for you? And a morally obligatory mark of respect?

Or do you find it so excessive or as dull as dishwater that you'd rather be doing anything else?
I spent the morning mucking out the filter on my daughter's washing machine while she and her new husband sat as couch potatoes watching the ceremony.

I can't say I missed much there will be another one soon enough.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sampanviking

Surfing the cable channels earlier, I did start to wonder as whether or not they had brought the test card back!

Barry

It was on at my daughter's house, where they have money to waste on a TV licence, so we watched a bit.
However there was a large rhododendron bush outside which was calling for huge dead sections to be cut out. So we did that and filled her garden waste bin and some.
Far more satisfying than watching a state funeral from end to end, but I tip my hat to people who managed to suffer it all.
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: patman post on September 19, 2022, 07:00:28 PM
Not a duty, but out of interest. And I was surprised how affected I felt.

The TV was tuned BBC Parliament channel, and I kept dipping in to that to watch the stream of people — many of who had queued for many hours — and see them pay their respects.

Frankly, I found tuning in lump-in-the-throat times as I realised the significance she had for many of us and most of the country.

Guess I'm no Republican...
I was not affected emotionally in quite the same way as you were, but in spite of my initial intentions of avoiding it like the plague, I could not resist tuning in out of curiosity and ended up following most of the spectacle. It was an excellent display, though I could not help wondering how much it was costing us all. It's the first time in 70 years though and I acknowledge the fact that this matters to millions of people so fair enough.

I remain a republican, though not in any sense of wishing any ill will upon individual members of the royal family. But I am operating a self-denying rule out of respect for others. I do not intend to make any republican points here or anywhere else during the mourning period or on the day on which the queen was laid to rest. It is a time for republicans to say little. But that time passes with the passing of this day. 

After today I will not go out of my way to be wilfully controversial or offensive, and have a very long work day tomorrow anyway so will barely be here, but the time is coming when monarchy versus republican issues and all aspects of both are up for discussion again in light of the new situation.

Not today though.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

patman post

Is watching the Queen's funeral a patriotic duty for you? And a morally obligatory mark of respect?

Or do you find it so excessive or as dull as dishwater that you'd rather be doing anything else?
Not a duty, but out of interest. And I was surprised how affected I felt.

The TV was tuned BBC Parliament channel, and I kept dipping in to that to watch the stream of people — many of who had queued for many hours — and see them pay their respects.

Frankly, I found tuning in lump-in-the-throat times as I realised the significance she had for many of us and most of the country.

Guess I'm no Republican...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on September 19, 2022, 06:27:02 PM
Getting a bit much now on all night on main channels going to stream something different on Amazon.
It has certainly been massive overkill.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Getting a bit much now on all night on main channels going to stream something different on Amazon.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Yes, watched it in full using the BBC "red button" facility to watch it with no commentary.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Every second . The Mrs downloaded the order of service and we followed it religiously . Now she is on her way to home we have started the wake . 

Union Flag

Sampanviking

Had to laugh at this.

https://twitter.com/AndyBxxx/status/1571758956409950208

Yes, this is exactly how our Media sounds like to me, when it reports of PRC....
Just sayin......

srb7677

Although I was not planning to watch the funeral at all and voted no in my own poll, curiosity has gotten the better of me and I have it on in the background so perhaps I should have voted yes in part.

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on September 19, 2022, 11:48:15 AM
I am watching the whole funeral, she was our queen.
It will be more fun when the Adams family are back at their usual tricks.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

It is on in the background hopefully this be the end of the whole morbid exercise, hardly a celebration of her reign, in my opinion.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

I am watching the whole funeral, she was our queen. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.