Now for the good news — Guinness at £2.99 a pint

Started by patman post, September 20, 2022, 05:20:27 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 22, 2022, 05:43:31 PM
But also all the shelves were allegedly empty last summer as well, so most likely not accurate. 😜
Topically all three Supermarkets in Helston had a lot of empty shelves today. (The Lidl has been like it for weeks.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 22, 2022, 05:41:50 PM
Only the ones recruited by Wetherspoons are not trained properly.  Other places like the Blue Anchor good places to go. (Even the May Tree, the pub next to the Premier Inn is far better than the Wetherspoons because the staff are Whitbread trained.)
🥱 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on September 22, 2022, 05:09:26 PM
The only definite thing I've got out of this exchange is, that in the unlikely event I ever visit Heston, I shall steer clear of the local Wetherspoons.

It seems probable that I'll give other hostelries there a miss too, because it appears the locals recruited for hospitality are dim, insanitary, lazy, and slow.

I guess papasmurf is due thanks for the heads-up...
But also all the shelves were allegedly empty last summer as well, so most likely not accurate. 😜 

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 22, 2022, 05:09:26 PM
The only definite thing I've got out of this exchange is, that in the unlikely event I ever visit Heston, I shall steer clear of the local Wetherspoons.

It seems probable that I'll give other hostelries there a miss too, because it appears the locals recruited for hospitality are dim, insanitary, lazy, and slow.

Only the ones recruited by Wetherspoons are not trained properly.  Other places like the Blue Anchor good places to go. (Even the May Tree, the pub next to the Premier Inn is far better than the Wetherspoons because the staff are Whitbread trained.)

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 22, 2022, 04:31:21 PM
Yes I have explained, badly trained staff, (not their fault,) lack of cleanliness, slow service even when few customers. Then Wetherspoons for some reason as yet unexplained stopped doing proper food.
I can't comment on the staff or cleanliness, but I've never seen a dirty Wetherspoons. But for the food selection you're totally wrong. 

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/~/media/files/pdf-documents/menus/currentmenus/menu_71.pdf

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 22, 2022, 03:34:30 PM
But still haven't said why from your own experience.
Yes I have explained, badly trained staff, (not their fault,) lack of cleanliness, slow service even when few customers. Then Wetherspoons for some reason as yet unexplained stopped doing proper food.

Nick

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on September 22, 2022, 12:04:51 PM
I have already described mine, and will never set foot in a wetherspoons again.
Neither would I. 

srb7677

Quote from: patman post on September 22, 2022, 01:09:55 PMBut it's only bad service, unpleasant environment, or poor products that would deter me from going there — "there" for me is, admittedly, only three London Wetherspoons, of which only two anywhere near regularly.
Fair enough but some people include ethics in their decision making too, which is why using a business to promote a politically contentious partisan view is never wise.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

patman post

Quote from: srb7677 on September 22, 2022, 11:00:29 AM
I wouldn't be seen dead in a wetherspoons now out of principle.

Businessmen using their businesses to openly promote a political agenda is dodgy from a business point of view in any case, since it obviously risks annoying those customers who disagree. Mixing business with politics in this way is counterproductive to the interests of the business.
I disagree with Tim Martin's Brexit views, and many of the arguments he pushed through Wetherspoons' magazine — though one stance against products from the EU appears to have been reversed as they're now on offer.

But it's only bad service, unpleasant environment, or poor products that would deter me from going there — "there" for me is, admittedly, only three London Wetherspoons, of which only two anywhere near regularly.

One, the Shakespeare's Head in Kingsway WC2, gets really crowded, but bar staff there work well and quickly.

I accept that different staffs and pub managers can vary the experience. And I guess a few consistently poor experiences would likely make me go elsewhere. Apart from that, I'm mostly unprincipled when it comes to getting value for my money...

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 22, 2022, 11:26:18 AMI'm waiting for YOUR experience that you said was consistently bad
I have already described mine, and will never set foot in a wetherspoons again.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 22, 2022, 11:04:22 AM
I have but you state you can't read it when others can.
I'm waiting for YOUR experience that you said was consistently bad, I'm fairly sure that's not in the Evening Standard. 

papasmurf