Most hated or disliked British politician

Started by srb7677, September 21, 2022, 05:32:53 AM

« previous - next »

morayloon

Quote from: HDQQ on September 27, 2022, 05:41:28 PM
Even after he founded a party to run against his own former party? That's something which Farage also did.
Salmond joined ALBA after it was formed. I have since joined ALBA

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on September 26, 2022, 09:33:07 PM
My vote went to Nigel Farage. He must bear the greatest share of blame for stirring up anti-EU sentiment in Britain and all the trouble that's caused.

If I had a second vote, that would go to Alex Salmond (under 'other'), who must bear the greatest share of the blame endangering the unity of out nation.
Why are you so scared of standing on your own 2 feet instead of being tied to someone's apron strings. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

Quote from: morayloon on September 27, 2022, 04:14:47 PM
And there-in lies the reason he would rank as my most popular politician
Even after he founded a party to run against his own former party? That's something which Farage also did.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

morayloon

Quote from: HDQQ on September 26, 2022, 09:33:07 PM
If I had a second vote, that would go to Alex Salmond (under 'other'), who must bear the greatest share of the blame endangering the unity of out nation.
And there-in lies the reason he would rank as my most popular politician

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on September 21, 2022, 03:04:06 PM
I think the real question is why would anyone want to be a politician in the first place?

Sooner or later they are going to bang on a door and meet some insane weasel, full of greed, hate and stupidity and try to make friends with them.

The game isn't worth the candle.
About six months before my employers seeming demise sent me freelancing, I had a chat over lunch with a chap hired to work freelance with me on a radar job.

At the time he had roughly the same amount of experience in that area as I had, but he had been around for much longer, working on other things.

I asked him why he'd gone freelancing.

he replied that he believed most people did the job they did for one of three reasons.

the first was POWER. Power over peoples lives, the power to hire and fire, the power to demand things be done your way or not at all. He said he'd held jobs like that (and since then so have I) and he didn't really like them (and neither did I, well, not when I was expected to act that way)

the second was RESPECT. You knew the job inside out, you were the go to guy when someone had a what-if question and people looked up to you for the job you did, the way you did it, the technical guru you were etc. He'd done a few of those, and so had I, then, and many since. It was a very warm feeling, he said, but it didn't pay the mortgage 

and the third was MONEY.

as a freelancer, at the height of Major's recession, I was rushed off my feet the order book was rammed I charged what I wanted and got it and I paid myself in salary and perks about half as much again as the prime ministers basic

but NO OnE could EVER afford to pay themselves the prime ministerial perks package 

You asked why anyone wanted to be a politician

of the three reasons above about 35% want the power, nobody gives a shit about the respect but 350% are in it for the money 

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

As Starmer is about to find out, Tony Blair
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

B0ycey

Got to be Thatcher. She sold everything off and even after her death is the reason why Dizzy Lizzy and all the Tory clowns seem hell bent on the failed  Heyeknomics.

HDQQ

My vote went to Nigel Farage. He must bear the greatest share of blame for stirring up anti-EU sentiment in Britain and all the trouble that's caused.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on September 23, 2022, 07:51:23 AM
I have a notice on my front door, no political canvassers. Where I live, I suspect Tory canvassers will need body armour, because of the way Brexit has screwed so many people.
As someone who whilst a member of a party went door to door both canvassing and leafletting, householders need to be precise about what they dont want. Canvassing is knocking on doors to speak to people. It is not the same thing as posting leaflets. 

So a no canvassers sign should prevent anyone from knocking on your door but it wont stop leaflets from being posted. Because there is the simple fact that whilst many dont want to be bothered to speak to someone, quite a few are still welcoming of literature they can read at their leisure.

A common sign is no junk mail. But again whilst some might view political leaflets as junk mail, many do not, so we post leaflets in them anyway. If anyone does not want such leaflets they need a sign that specifically states that they want no political leaflets or literature.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on September 21, 2022, 07:52:05 PM

Going door to door you get abused by idiots who often imagine they are intelligent. I was once threatened with physical violence and manhandled for the crime of posting a leaflet through someone's letter box.
You should have tried posting UKIP leaflets in Croydon Union Flag

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on September 21, 2022, 07:52:05 PM

Going door to door you get abused by idiots who often imagine they are intelligent. I was once threatened with physical violence and manhandled for the crime of posting a leaflet through someone's letter box.
I have a notice on my front door, no political canvassers. Where I live, I suspect Tory canvassers will need body armour, because of the way Brexit has screwed so many people.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 22, 2022, 09:02:30 PM
Nope, I voted for Bliar also.
I assumed it was you who voted for Jeremy Corbyn. Clearly I was wrong. I wonder who did? Borchester perhaps?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on September 21, 2022, 03:04:06 PM
I think the real question is why would anyone want to be a politician in the first place?

Sooner or later they are going to bang on a door and meet some insane weasel, full of greed, hate and stupidity and try to make friends with them.

The game isn't worth the candle.
Politics can be a thankless job but at least they are paid reasonably well for it.

It is the volunteers who do it for nothing just because they believe in something who really suffer all sorts.

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...