Census 2021: More from Catholic background in NI than Protestant

Started by Borchester, September 22, 2022, 11:42:00 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on September 22, 2022, 01:02:14 PM
I don't know but my guess is that both would have to vote yes. I don't think the powers that be could risk a situation where the north narrowly voted to remain in the union but the votes of the more numerous south dragged them out.

My understanding is that the people of Northern Ireland itself would need to consent to any change without their wishes being overruled from outside. And then that the people of the south would have to consent to incorporating the north into their country. So it seems implicit to me that a separate vote would be needed in both north and south, with each consenting independently of each other.
The Good Friday agreement says any vote must be 'freely and concurrently given ' which suggests any vote on a united Ireland would be at the same time .

A catholic majority in a census was one of the criteria that could be used to recognise the will of the North to join the South as was a Nationalist majority in the  Northern Ireland Assembly .  

It would seem a vote is due though as most things irish its never that easy

Irish reunification | The Institute for Government

srb7677

Quote from: patman post on September 22, 2022, 12:32:27 PM
Doesn't the current agreement require a referendum in the South too?

And if so, are both referendums given the same weight —  ie, both countries have to vote Yes — or is decision decided on total numbers of votes cast...?
I don't know but my guess is that both would have to vote yes. I don't think the powers that be could risk a situation where the north narrowly voted to remain in the union but the votes of the more numerous south dragged them out.

My understanding is that the people of Northern Ireland itself would need to consent to any change without their wishes being overruled from outside. And then that the people of the south would have to consent to incorporating the north into their country. So it seems implicit to me that a separate vote would be needed in both north and south, with each consenting independently of each other.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on September 22, 2022, 11:42:00 AM
Huzzah !!

Now all we need is a referendum and we can dump the place on south. Or maybe we can give it to Nancy Pelosi or Joe Biden?

Dancing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-62980394
Doesn't the current agreement require a referendum in the South too?

And if so, are both referendums given the same weight —  ie, both countries have to vote Yes — or is decision decided on total numbers of votes cast...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Huzzah !!

Now all we need is a referendum and we can dump the place on south. Or maybe we can give it to Nancy Pelosi or Joe Biden?

Dancing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-62980394
Algerie Francais !