Interested to hear of experiences of Electric Vehicles

Started by patman post, October 15, 2019, 12:43:36 PM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

My only experience of modern electric vehicles was a short ride as a passenger in a Tesla Model S. It was nice but I don't think I'll ever buy one, mainly because I'd rather have the smaller Tesla Model 3 when secondhand ones come down to my price range in a few years time.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

HDQQ

Quote from: Barry on June 10, 2020, 08:48:19 PMJust how old are you quackers? :shock:
So now, any references we make to anything historical infers that we were alive at the time in question. I'll have to remember to carefully explain that in any future references to things like the Enclosure Acts or the Norman Conquest. :)
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

I've had the Ioniq for more than a year now and it really hasn't missed a beat. The only thing I would say is that my brother and friend both have similar VW cars, which have similar mpg without the complications or expense of the recharging battery.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=25208 time=1589964707 user_id=103
In 1920 a lot of drivers were opposed to the newfangled idea of 4 wheel brakes.  Fitting brakes on the front wheels, they felt, would make people into less careful drivers.

Just how old are you quackers? :shock:
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=14124 time=1579878401 user_id=50
Aye. Bloody kids today don't know they are born. We remember starting handles, manual wipers and indicators that sprung out on arms !!!

In 1920 a lot of drivers were opposed to the newfangled idea of 4 wheel brakes.  Fitting brakes on the front wheels, they felt, would make people into less careful drivers.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: "Major Sinic" post_id=14117 time=1579872917 user_id=84
I'll be quite honest Lotsov, I think most of your posts are banal, superficial and often ill informed. However I do think that you are spot on here.

If I were to make all my posts carefully argued and including all the relevant points properly considered, they would be quite lengthy and very few would read them. So I deliberately make some posts superficial for those who can only understand points that need a couple of lines. Sometimes i even do a long version and a short version, but no matter what I do, there is always going to be someone who complains about it.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

cromwell

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=14124 time=1579878401 user_id=50
Aye. Bloody kids today don't know they are born. We remember starting handles, manual wipers and indicators that sprung out on arms !!!

Motoring with Mr Cholmondeley Warner  :lol:

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

DeppityDawg

Quote from: cromwell post_id=14118 time=1579873436 user_id=48
Wish I had one,especially the woody....in good nick worth a few bob. ;)

cromwell

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=14113 time=1579870608 user_id=50
You mean your 1959 Morris Minor is electric?

Wish I had one,especially the woody....in good nick worth a few bob. ;)

Major Sinic

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=808 time=1571225467 user_id=74
The way the market works is you pay a premium for new technology and it depreciates at a very fast rate, because newer and better solutions replace the thing you have, and they outperform the one you have, hence depreciating it. We had this with CPUs. You buy a new CPU and it is the latest Intel and it costs £500, then a few years later a £50 CPU would out-perform it.

The salesman tells the prole, no problem, just buy a computer and then in a few years time you can upgrade the CPU. The catch is of course that a faster CPU needs a faster bus, faster memory, faster disk and so on and so on. You actually find it is more sensible to replace the whole thing.

The chances are the EV market will operate in a similar way. The new batteries not yet invented might run at a different voltage and be incompatible with the rest of the system.

I'll be quite honest Lotsov, I think most of your posts are banal, superficial and often ill informed. However I do think that you are spot on here.

I have a large and now quite elderly SUV which is diesel powered. Being in the countryside with often lengthy distances to travel and as often as not towing, there is no hybrid or EV vehicle which would begin to meet my needs. My other vehicle is a high powered petrol car which is both fun and perfect for long distances and continental trips. I will only consider alternative power units when they are proven, practical with stable residuals and battery technology has moved on substantially from where it is now.

If you want a local or city run around then hybrid or electric may meet one's needs but not out in the boondocks.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: cromwell post_id=14106 time=1579851257 user_id=48
I found the heater in ours worse than useless (other than that still like the car) and might go down the polo route. :D

You mean your 1959 Morris Minor is electric?

cromwell

Quote from: Barry post_id=13929 time=1579643927 user_id=51
What's it like in an all electric car in the winter? Is it best to keep your coat on?

I notice the fuel consumption in my hybrid goes up a bit as the motor starts to provide heat, so I've set the cabin temp at 16C.

With an all electric every bit of heat must come from the battery, so it's going to decrease range by quite a bit.

I found the heater in ours worse than useless (other than that still like the car) and might go down the polo route. :D

patman post

The Mrs says her Mitsubishi is not staying on full electric for so long in the cold weather, but we've only had a few frosty mornings so far...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baron von Lotsov

Someone on Youtube did a test of various new electric cars to see how far they actually went on a full charge. None went as far as advertised, and typically 75% or so. The Tesla performed the best.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Barry

What's it like in an all electric car in the winter? Is it best to keep your coat on?

I notice the fuel consumption in my hybrid goes up a bit as the motor starts to provide heat, so I've set the cabin temp at 16C.

With an all electric every bit of heat must come from the battery, so it's going to decrease range by quite a bit.
† The end is nigh †