Sex is for married heterosexual couples only - C of E

Started by Barry, January 23, 2020, 09:57:21 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts post_id=14131 time=1579887198 user_id=54
God has never gone out of His way to be popular.

Just as well for them then.
Don't believe everything you think.

johnofgwent

Quote from: "Major Sinic" post_id=14119 time=1579874291 user_id=84
It is not credible for an established religion to change its teachings to suit the secular wishes of the majority. If homosexuality is against Christian or Islamic teachings it completely devalues any spiritual significance of these faiths to moderate its teachings to permit it within the faith in the interests of 'populism'. It is for instance therefore entirely hypocritical to have homosexual clergy in the Christian Church.

If the teachings of a religion say it is wrong, then that must be accepted, but for instance the consequences can be moderated. For instance the solution might be for Muslims in the middle east to stop stoning homosexuals and for the Christian churches to stop ordaining or marrying practicing homosexuals. If a homosexuals faith is sufficiently important then he/she can be become celibate or practise onanism.

Faith is no longer important to me, and I have no issue with homosexuality from a religious or moral point of view. If that is the way your cards fall then so be it, but no faith can change its teachings simply to pander to the wishes of an increasingly liberal society, without becoming meaningless and losing its authority.

To.be fair though Major, I think you'll find few places where the Christian messiah had much to say on the subject. The Torah which was around for a fair while beforehand, and the rantings of his followers, yes. But there isnt much from Christ on the issue that makes it to print ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=14130 time=1579886946 user_id=99
I'm glad they're pressing this narrative.

The more the church publicly doubles down on positions like this the more outdated and out of touch with the general population they become.

God has never gone out of His way to be popular.

Nalaar

I'm glad they're pressing this narrative.

The more the church publicly doubles down on positions like this the more outdated and out of touch with the general population they become.
Don't believe everything you think.

T00ts

For me it is very clear. In Luke 9:23 it says  

23 Then he said to them all: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.

We all have different challenges but we are told many times that belief in God must come before all things and if we are not prepared for that then we will never be true believers. He never once said it would be easy. I am not CofE or Catholic but it has always been mystifying to me that any church can condone practising homosexuals. We can love the sinner but not the sin.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Barry post_id=14094 time=1579816641 user_id=51
The Church of England have stated their position on what they believe is the place for sex in society.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/23/sex-married-heterosexual-couples-church-of-england-christians">//https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/23/sex-married-heterosexual-couples-church-of-england-christians

It looks as if they have stopped their journey towards the liberal and restated the Biblical view of marriage.

Of course, some people will get upset.  :shrg:

I don't suppose you are familiar with family courts. It is of course one of the greatest oxymorons of our time if you are a bloke. It goes a long way to explaining why marriage is avoided.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Sampanviking

Two simple rules have enabled me to navigate my marriage

1) I am always wrong

2) It is always my fault

DeppityDawg

Quote from: "Major Sinic" post_id=14120 time=1579874291 user_id=84
DUPLICATE - I am obviously pressing some wrong buttons....

I'm not sure if that was meant to be a joke, Major, but it's a common mistake. Women are extremely complex creatures. You need to read the instruction manual thoroughly before attempting to operate one  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Major Sinic

It is not credible for an established religion to change its teachings to suit the secular wishes of the majority. If homosexuality is against Christian or Islamic teachings it completely devalues any spiritual significance of these faiths to moderate its teachings to permit it within the faith in the interests of 'populism'. It is for instance therefore entirely hypocritical to have homosexual clergy in the Christian Church.

If the teachings of a religion say it is wrong, then that must be accepted, but for instance the consequences can be moderated. For instance the solution might be for Muslims in the middle east to stop stoning homosexuals and for the Christian churches to stop ordaining or marrying practicing homosexuals. If a homosexuals faith is sufficiently important then he/she can be become celibate or practise onanism.

Faith is no longer important to me, and I have no issue with homosexuality from a religious or moral point of view. If that is the way your cards fall then so be it, but no faith can change its teachings simply to pander to the wishes of an increasingly liberal society, without becoming meaningless and losing its authority.

Streetwalker

I would agree with the C of E

The promotion of homosexuality as normal in education and the  media has gone too far and its reining in is long overdue .

DeppityDawg

I'm surprised 'you know who' hasn't availed us all of his opinion on this subject  :roll:

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=14094 time=1579816641 user_id=51
The Church of England have stated their position on what they believe is the place for sex in society.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/23/sex-married-heterosexual-couples-church-of-england-christians">//https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/23/sex-married-heterosexual-couples-church-of-england-christians

It looks as if they have stopped their journey towards the liberal and restated the Biblical view of marriage.

LOL I wondered who would raise this. They are right of course.  Perhaps they have finally realised that the more secular they have tried to become in order to be 'popular' the fewer attendees they have had. Perhaps they are now experimenting in going back to basics, or maybe someone has actually studied the Scriptures and had a light bulb moment.

Barry

† The end is nigh †