Pressure drops in Nord Stream pipelines as gas leaks into sea

Started by papasmurf, September 27, 2022, 12:55:40 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on September 29, 2022, 06:39:31 PM
Alternatively you could simply redirect the gas flow to another working pipeline or to a Liquification plant for export as LNG to any of the other numerous willing customers.....
[highlight]No Nick, all I hear from you is  desperate attempt to propagate the Russian bogey man myth, when simple common sense can tell you that such is utter rubbish.[/highlight]

These are attacks by the US on its nominal German ally and done at a time when there is widespread public anger in Germany about the Gas Sanctions and massive public protests against the Schroder Govt and in favour of starting to buy gas via Nordstream 2.

All this and its not even winter yet.....
I've worked in Russia many times, have ex colleagues from Russia that I still talk to regularly, I know how they operate and it ain't good. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sampanviking

Quote from: Nick on September 29, 2022, 06:11:39 PM
Once you stop a gas line from producing it takes months if not years to start the production again, that's why it is in Russias interest for it to keep flowing, even if it's into the sea.
Alternatively you could simply redirect the gas flow to another working pipeline or to a Liquification plant for export as LNG to any of the other numerous willing customers.....
No Nick, all I hear from you is  desperate attempt to propagate the Russian bogey man myth, when simple common sense can tell you that such is utter rubbish.

These are attacks by the US on its nominal German ally and done at a time when there is widespread public anger in Germany about the Gas Sanctions and massive public protests against the Schroder Govt and in favour of starting to buy gas via Nordstream 2.

All this and its not even winter yet.....

Barry

Quote from: Nick on September 29, 2022, 05:27:43 PM
Course you have no doubt, that's cause you don't understand the implications of stopping gas production. Yet more ridiculous nonsense.
As linked in the video, Biden said he would stop the pipeline.
So I'm not sure how ridiculous the "nonsense" is, Nick.
The gas price jumped again so America can make even more money from their fracked LNG which is coming across the Atlantic as fast as they can send it.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on September 29, 2022, 05:58:23 PM
Do enlighten me Nick, I am all ears...
Once you stop a gas line from producing it takes months if not years to start the production again, that's why it is in Russias interest for it to keep flowing, even if it's into the sea. 

Sampanviking

Quote from: Nick on September 29, 2022, 05:27:43 PM
Course you have no doubt, that's cause you don't understand the implications of stopping gas production. Yet more ridiculous nonsense.
Do enlighten me Nick, I am all ears...

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on September 29, 2022, 04:53:39 PM
Given that Russia simply needs to close the tap and that the US has been opposed to the pipelines from Day 1 and yes Biden himself pretty much threatened the integrity of the pipelines six months ago, I think there is little doubt as to who has means, motive and opportunity to sabotage the pipelines.

AS Kissenger told us, "There is only one thing more dangerous than being an enemy of the US and that is to be its friend!"

Sampanviking

Given that Russia simply needs to close the tap and that the US has been opposed to the pipelines from Day 1 and yes Biden himself pretty much threatened the integrity of the pipelines six months ago, I think there is little doubt as to who has means, motive and opportunity to sabotage the pipelines.

AS Kissenger told us, "There is only one thing more dangerous than being an enemy of the US and that is to be its friend!"

B0ycey

Quote from: Barry on September 29, 2022, 11:59:41 AM
B0ycey's low pressure theory is looking a bit unlikely just now.

Who did it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb67CXpTqj4

It isn't really a theory Barry. It is a fact. Whether or not it was the cause for this I don't know. But what I do know is if there had cast iron proof that it was sabotage we would know about it. 

Anyway apart from the US, I have no idea who would benefit from this. Russia can cut off the flow of gas anyway and Europe don't exactly want gas polluting their waters. If it was Russia, what do they have to gain from this? If anything it restricts their leverage. The Yanks I expect wouldn't want the fallout from Europe if they got caught. So unless it is submerged UAPs sending out a message, who the hell would do this given whatever way you look at its an own goal?

Barry

Sweden discovered that in the Nord Stream pipelines that exploded there were four explosion centres, not three as previously thought.
The Tagesspiegel news site said that following the biggest attack in the history of energy water had got into the NordStream gas pipelines and they were destroyed forever. The whole pipeline infrastructure will have to be replaced.
The Germans believe that divers attached explosive charges to the pipes. The damage has a huge cost to replace.

B0ycey's low pressure theory is looking a bit unlikely just now.

Who did it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb67CXpTqj4
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on September 29, 2022, 08:55:40 AM
Meanwhile in the world of twisted logic, Vlad could be blowing up his own pipelines. Crazy but true allegedly.
I have been wondered about that, given how devious Putin is.  It is possible to "tap" into a pressurised undersea gas/oil pipeline using a special device which clamps around the pipeline and puts a hole in the pipeline and attaches a valve in one go, with no leakage.  The valve can then be opened releasing the gas/oil into the sea.  To simulate sabotage in is merely necessary to set off an explosion far enough from the pipeline to do no damage to it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on September 27, 2022, 08:32:30 PM
While the pipe wasn't running, it hardly matters. But Ukraine blame Russia, Russia seem perplexed and think Ukraine and Denmark hasn't a clue. Russia have the option of shutting the tap off so I don't really know why they would benefit from this. And Europe would be more than happy for the gas if it could flow. So the only actors who could benefit from this is the US perhaps? But I doubt they would do this. I know depressurisation can cause gas explosions and it wouldn't surprise me given it wasn't running that was what it was.
You can't just turn gas off, it take years to start production, and once it is stopped it years to start again. That's why Russia has been burning gas for fun, it would suit them if it was just free flowing. 

B0ycey

Quote from: Barry on September 27, 2022, 08:44:02 PM
It was pressurised over 100 Bar. This has to be an attack with underwater explosives. It could have been mined by divers or torpedoed, or depth charged. It could have been dragged by a fishing vessel, but I doubt that one.

Perhaps. If it was a deliberate attack, it will leave evidence of an accelerant as well as the torpedo itself. I am aware of something called a chain reaction which could explain why three explosions took place simultaneously. Without knowing any of the details I naturally am not making any conclusions. But given the pipe wasn't and has run and was full of gas, a small amount of depressuration could have caused an explosion. It isn't beyond the realms of fantasy in any case.

Barry

Quote from: B0ycey on September 27, 2022, 08:32:30 PM
While the pipe wasn't running, it hardly matters. But Ukraine blame Russia, Russia seem perplexed and think Ukraine and Denmark hasn't a clue. Russia have the option of shutting the tap off so I don't really know why they would benefit from this. And Europe would be more than happy for the gas if it could flow. So the only actors who could benefit from this is the US perhaps? But I doubt they would do this. I know depressurisation can cause gas explosions and it wouldn't surprise me given it wasn't running that was what it was.
It was pressurised over 100 Bar. This has to be an attack with underwater explosives. It could have been mined by divers or torpedoed, or depth charged. It could have been dragged by a fishing vessel, but I doubt that one.
† The end is nigh †