What we have here

Started by cromwell, September 30, 2022, 12:33:35 AM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: Borchester on October 01, 2022, 05:03:38 PM
Pat is a Tory remainer which means that he will vote Lib Dem next time, so he does not give a toss if the Brothers and Sisters are elected next time round.

Starmer is a quiet chap and will go with the flow, which means that he won't try to overturn Brexit, which is about the only reason I can see for supporting the Tories. So sod the lot of them

It is Pat who calls for an election Borky. I want one too but I understand it isn't a clear cut as Tory MPs taking down the PM. I think Pat might be turning in any case. Very much like most of the other ex Tories. What we at? 33pts wasn't it 

Borchester

Quote from: B0ycey on October 01, 2022, 03:31:08 PM
Of course it would be better to have a general election but it isn't better for the Tory party. You are basically expecting MPs to vote for their redundancies right now. Which won't happen. It is better for Truss to just change course, but she doesn't want to do a uturn given that gives Labour ammunition. So I expect she will do a uturn in a way to save face to pay for something.

Pat is a Tory remainer which means that he will vote Lib Dem next time, so he does not give a toss if the Brothers and Sisters are elected next time round.

Starmer is a quiet chap and will go with the flow, which means that he won't try to overturn Brexit, which is about the only reason I can see for supporting the Tories. So sod the lot of them
Algerie Francais !

B0ycey

Quote from: patman post on October 01, 2022, 03:13:09 PM
A general election would be better for the country.

Johnson resigned on 7 July. Truss was appointed PM on 6 September. Two months is too long to be without an effective government — especially at this time.

Isn't the shortest time possible, between dissolving parliament and polling day, be something like 20 working days...?
Of course it would be better to have a general election but it isn't better for the Tory party. You are basically expecting MPs to vote for their redundancies right now. Which won't happen. It is better for Truss to just change course, but she doesn't want to do a uturn given that gives Labour ammunition. So I expect she will do a uturn in a way to save face to pay for something.

patman post

Quote from: B0ycey on October 01, 2022, 02:41:58 PM
They could abstain rather than vote against the bill. If I was an MP I wouldn't want to be associated with something that as electorally detested. I doubt the Tories would want an election now so the idea we are going to have one is very far fetched actually. BoJo didn't want to quit until he was forced out and the same will be true with this budget. If Truss is booed at the party conference or the polls don't improve in the next few weeks, I'm sure senior MPs will give her a quiet word in her ear.
A general election would be better for the country.

Johnson resigned on 7 July. Truss was appointed PM on 6 September. Two months is too long to be without an effective government — especially at this time.

Isn't the shortest time possible, between dissolving parliament and polling day, be something like 20 working days...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

B0ycey

Quote from: patman post on October 01, 2022, 01:13:02 PM
The seriousness of a remark I heard on radio this morning has only just registered with me.

The woman who was talking said that there were Tory MPs discussing with Labour MPs the possibility of voting down the mini-budget.

Couldn't this be equivalent to losing a vote of confidence — and possibly lead to a general election...?
They could abstain rather than vote against the bill. If I was an MP I wouldn't want to be associated with something that as electorally detested. I doubt the Tories would want an election now so the idea we are going to have one is very far fetched actually. BoJo didn't want to quit until he was forced out and the same will be true with this budget. If Truss is booed at the party conference or the polls don't improve in the next few weeks, I'm sure senior MPs will give her a quiet word in her ear.

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on October 01, 2022, 01:13:02 PM
The seriousness of a remark I heard on radio this morning has only just registered with me.

The woman who was talking said that there were Tory MPs discussing with Labour MPs the possibility of voting down the mini-budget.

Couldn't this be equivalent to losing a vote of confidence — and possibly lead to a general election...?

It is more like the equivalent of a slow news day.

The parliamentary Conservative party appears to be in a two way fight between the Labour party and its own grass roots. Any Tory MPs dim enough to vote against the PM might as well join their mates in the Lib Dems
Algerie Francais !

patman post

The seriousness of a remark I heard on radio this morning has only just registered with me. 

The woman who was talking said that there were Tory MPs discussing with Labour MPs the possibility of voting down the mini-budget.

Couldn't this be equivalent to losing a vote of confidence — and possibly lead to a general election...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 30, 2022, 06:49:22 PM
The BoE responded to the markets not the mini budget. What the markets responded to is anyone's guess, apart from you of course, cause you know don't you!
The markets responded to Kamakazi Kwarteng's and Liz (un)Truss(tworthy's) idiot policies.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 30, 2022, 04:20:55 PM
Nick I have yet to perceive you are naive or just act that way.  The Bank of England did not fork out £65 billion to prop the £ up,and building societies/banks more of less stopped new mortgages just on a "few tax cuts."
That I why posted the link to 40 pages of evidence.
The BoE responded to the markets not the mini budget. What the markets responded to is anyone's guess, apart from you of course, cause you know don't you!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on September 30, 2022, 02:14:25 PM
What has the size of the document got to do with it?
Exactly, the mini-budget looks like it was cobbled together on the back of an envelope.

The rest is just verbiage to make it look professional...

B0ycey

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 30, 2022, 02:41:57 PM
and I wouldn't put anything past that oily bastard sunak. He even had his cronies try pulling the race card saying it would be racism not to vote for him as leader. Or did you miss that ??? (I did mention it at the time)

Not that I want to defend a Tory or anything but when exactly did Sunak play the race card? At the moment it is clear to me when he said we had to tackle inflation before tax cuts he was on the right path. If I was Dizzy, I would definitely bring him to her team to sort out her mess. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 30, 2022, 03:55:02 PM
Either give some evidence or shut up cause you're just boring.
Nick I have yet to perceive you are naive or just act that way.  The Bank of England did not fork out £65 billion to prop the £ up,and building societies/banks more of less stopped new mortgages just on a "few tax cuts."
That I why posted the link to 40 pages of evidence.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 30, 2022, 03:17:23 PM
Nick, you really are joking.
Either give some evidence or shut up cause you're just boring. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 30, 2022, 02:14:25 PM
What has the size of the document got to do with it?
Nick, you really are joking.

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on September 30, 2022, 12:43:03 PM
Don't you think that if someone had found that out, it would be all over the two Tory house journals, the Mail and Telegraph...?
I don't know.

it's just that having seen up close and personal the degree of hatred in labour in the past of one half of the front bench for the other, and in nearer times the utter disdain of three quarters of the party for a front bench seat under Corbin, I cannot myself see the tories as a cuddly united bunch of deliriously happy bunnies.

and I wouldn't put anything past that oily bastard sunak. He even had his cronies try pulling the race card saying it would be racism not to vote for him as leader. Or did you miss that ??? (I did mention it at the time)
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>