Stop panicking

Started by T00ts, October 02, 2022, 01:58:31 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on October 04, 2022, 07:38:06 PM
I wasn't actually thinking of the current government, particularly.
Take a look at the Gender Recognition Act (2004) which Labour brought in - where did that come from - was it in their manifesto, and it has and is causing untold trouble in society. This is just one example.
Others are same sex marriage, which was not in the manifestos, as far as I am aware.

Were not same sex marriages David Cameron's idea? I have to say that I did not follow the matter closely, but I remember my nephew and his boyfriend getting married at the time
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 04, 2022, 07:47:35 PM
And you are a tiresome troll who should not be allowed out without your minder, but if we can put up with you then you should be able to endure Boris.

Wonder if he will run again for the party leadership
That was not trolling it is documented fact.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 04, 2022, 07:36:38 PM
Boris was and is a serial liar with no morals, he should never have been in any public office.
And you are a tiresome troll who should not be allowed out without your minder, but if we can put up with you then you should be able to endure Boris.

Wonder if he will run again for the party leadership
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: B0ycey on October 04, 2022, 05:59:07 PM
I'm pretty sure the Tories are getting voted out Sheepy. The question is can they stem the decline so they can be an opposition?

The gap between the Brothers and Sisters and the Tories is currently 22% so the latter might have a bit of work to do to keep Liz in number 10. That said, Sir Stodge is a cautious sort and knows that reapplying to join the EU might not be the cleverest idea idea he might have, so he will do until we get a decent Tory PM to take his place
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on October 04, 2022, 07:30:02 PM
But surely once any Government gets into power they are pushed and pulled by circumstances. Look at the last few years. No-one would have foreseen all that and yet Boris' feet were held to the fire because he was unable to follow his manifesto. It has to be seen as an intention not a promise no matter what. Inflexibility because a manifesto is an uncompromising mandate would wreck the country.

I wasn't actually thinking of the current government, particularly.
Take a look at the Gender Recognition Act (2004) which Labour brought in - where did that come from - was it in their manifesto, and it has and is causing untold trouble in society. This is just one example.
Others are same sex marriage, which was not in the manifestos, as far as I am aware.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 04, 2022, 07:30:02 PM
 Boris' feet were held to the fire because he was unable to follow his manifesto.
Boris was and is a serial liar with no morals, he should never have been in any public office.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 04, 2022, 07:21:35 PM
You beat me to it. If there was a law that said governments must stick to their manifestos, there might be a semblance of democracy, but they just ad lib once they get power.
But surely once any Government gets into power they are pushed and pulled by circumstances. Look at the last few years. No-one would have foreseen all that and yet Boris' feet were held to the fire because he was unable to follow his manifesto. It has to be seen as an intention not a promise no matter what. Inflexibility because a manifesto is an uncompromising mandate would wreck the country.

Barry

Quote from: Sheepy on October 04, 2022, 06:22:15 PM
Well, I can tell you now, just like every manifesto that has gone before they won't be worth the paper they are scribbled on.
You beat me to it. If there was a law that said governments must stick to their manifestos, there might be a semblance of democracy, but they just ad lib once they get power.
† The end is nigh †

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on October 04, 2022, 07:14:39 PM
Perhaps a smiley face would have shown it was a bit of a joke. I believe most people have the same view as you it's just a shame Starmer couldn't produce a better answer. But your guy does need a bit more conviction and an ability to think on his feet before he gets offered the No10 keys.
Starmer isn't really "my guy" Toots. I support GB energy, he has some great back benchers and with him in power we rid ourselves of Trussnomics. I will judge him by his record in premiership and would support a change of leadership if he cannot unite the party.

T00ts

Quote from: B0ycey on October 04, 2022, 06:51:11 PM
Seems to me that your post in the other thread is a bunch of hot air. If your response is attacking Starmer for being diplomatic over trans rights then you are no better than anyone else who attacks policies they don't like. For the record I am all for people deciding their own pronouns as long as it doesn't impact anyone else and that includes prisons, sports and safe spaces so it isn't like I agree with Starmers cloud judgement. But at the same time it isn't a major issue for me to not trust him over.
Perhaps a smiley face would have shown it was a bit of a joke. I believe most people have the same view as you it's just a shame Starmer couldn't produce a better answer. But your guy does need a bit more conviction and an ability to think on his feet before he gets offered the No10 keys.

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on October 04, 2022, 06:51:11 PM
 But at the same time it isn't a major issue for me to not trust him over.
It isn't a major issue with anyone I know either.

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on October 04, 2022, 06:40:19 PM
I hate to burst your carefully inflated balloon but I think it unwise to be quite so jubilant. The electorate can be very fickle as you well know - the fight hasn't even begun yet and Truss may not be having a good time at present and the Conservatives may be causing mayhem within their own ranks this week but then Labour have got off scott free since they have had no problems to deal with and so far Starmer has too many splinters from sitting on various fences to properly divulge any sort of plan for anything. How can you trust someone who doesn't know what a woman is for example?
Seems to me that your post in the other thread is a bunch of hot air. If your response is attacking Starmer for being diplomatic over trans rights then you are no better than anyone else who attacks policies they don't like. For the record I am all for people deciding their own pronouns as long as it doesn't impact anyone else and that includes prisons, sports and safe spaces so it isn't like I agree with Starmers cloud judgement. But at the same time it isn't a major issue for me to not trust him over.

T00ts

Quote from: B0ycey on October 04, 2022, 06:30:29 PM
What Starmer says now means f**k all if Labour need the SNP to gain power. Cameron said the same thing about the Lib Dems and there was an awkward moment when a journalist asked him if he stood by Clegg being his favourite joke when the Tories and Lib Dems joined forces.

But to answer your response more directly, if current polls are to be believed Labour won't just get a majority but a decent working majority and if I am going to be honest, the Tories with 2 more years of Truss have further to fall.
I hate to burst your carefully inflated balloon but I think it unwise to be quite so jubilant. The electorate can be very fickle as you well know - the fight hasn't even begun yet and Truss may not be having a good time at present and the Conservatives may be causing mayhem within their own ranks this week but then Labour have got off scott free since they have had no problems to deal with and so far Starmer has too many splinters from sitting on various fences to properly divulge any sort of plan for anything. How can you trust someone who doesn't know what a woman is for example? 

B0ycey

Quote from: Sheepy on October 04, 2022, 06:35:40 PM
You are a dreamer though Boycey when in reality they are never worth the paper they are written on.

90% of it perhaps. Not the big policies though Sheepy. GB energy, Mark my words, under Labour is taking off.

Sheepy

Quote from: B0ycey on October 04, 2022, 06:33:46 PM
Maybe Sheepy. But I don't think GB energy will be ditched. That policy came off well in their conference and had universal support within the party. It was also well received by the public and given the borrowing needed for it would stimulate growth, such borrowing won't spook the market.

You are a dreamer though Boycey when in reality they are never worth the paper they are written on.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!