Meanwhile in China

Started by Sheepy, October 03, 2022, 08:26:47 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2022, 10:58:18 AM
Leave out the constant personal insults please and wrong assumptions about me. I would love to visit China, there are some people I would like meet.
  However, I am banned from flying for medical reasons and any foreign travel is very restricted to no more than 14 days for the same reason.
I am also 74 years old, and travel and repatriation insurance are very costly because of that.
As I told you years ago, you bring it all on your self. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 03, 2022, 10:49:08 AM
You're having a laugh if you think PS will visit China 😂. He's scared of his own shadow.
Leave out the constant personal insults please and wrong assumptions about me. I would love to visit China, there are some people I would like meet.
  However, I am banned from flying for medical reasons and any foreign travel is very restricted to no more than 14 days for the same reason.
I am also 74 years old, and travel and repatriation insurance are very costly because of that.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 03, 2022, 10:46:13 AM
Well you friend is talking out of his backside,
He isn't he was staying in good hotels and had a high-level job, which included needing kidnap insurance and sometimes armed guards. Your personal experience is NOT universal. That you keep having to resort to insults shows that.

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on October 03, 2022, 10:42:38 AM
Here you go Smurfy take a visit
Top 8 Smart Cities in China (Experience a New China) (chinahighlights.com)
You're having a laugh if you think PS will visit China 😂. He's scared of his own shadow. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2022, 10:04:01 AM
In these days of electronic communications, I don't physically have to travel anywhere, to gain knowledge of a foreign country.  Personal experience of visiting a country can only give a very limited picture.

A friend of mine spent his working life visiting foreign countries. His comment to me was all he ended up knowing is one hotel is much like another whatever country you visit.
Well your friend is talking out of his backside, because hotels worldwide are vastly different. A hotel in Vegas is completely different to one in Siberia or the UAE or even Uganda.

And no, you gain very little from the web compared to actually visiting a country.

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on October 03, 2022, 10:42:38 AM
I don't need thanks. Due to the wonders of the internet and a motorised satellite system.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on October 03, 2022, 10:35:15 AM
You can't smell it on the Interweb, Smurf, as Nick has.

Western cities are just as bad. 

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2022, 10:23:10 AM
Whilst it is correct SOME Chinese agriculture is still using water Buffalo in the rice paddy fields. It is not any longer the generality.

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on October 03, 2022, 10:17:21 AM
I have most certainly been and know the south to a good degree.
The Infrastructure is first rate and continues to expand and improve by leaps and bounds. Almost to the point that many places are unrecognisable even after just a gap of a few years between visits.
The biggest difference though is the public attitude towards technology and the aptitude to use it. They are the the definitive early adopters and are years ahead of us with the use if 5g technology in their everyday lives. The young are far more open the older end of course but the Middle Aged in China are far more tech aware and capable than many of their counterparts in the UK at least.

The result of mass acceptance and take up is that there is a thriving domestic tech industry pushing the whole thing forward at break neck speed.
I too have been to the south many times. Xiamen and Guangzhou are big regions in the south and they're no especially hi-tech. Shanghai is probably the most hi-tech city in China and its way behind S. Korea and Japan, it doesn't have anything that London hasn't, the underground is cheaper and better than London. 

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on October 03, 2022, 10:04:01 AM
In these days of electronic communications, I don't physically have to travel anywhere, to gain knowledge of a foreign country.  Personal experience of visiting a country can only give a very limited picture.
You can't smell it on the Interweb, Smurf, as Nick has.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on October 03, 2022, 10:07:31 AM
Several times and the changes are beyond belief in 30 years. So, I wouldn't want to shatter the illusion that somehow while we are in terminal decline, they are using water Buffalo in the rice paddy fields.
Whilst it is correct SOME Chinese agriculture is still using water Buffalo in the rice paddy fields. It is not any longer the generality.

Sampanviking

I have most certainly been and know the south to a good degree.
The Infrastructure is first rate and continues to expand and improve by leaps and bounds. Almost to the point that many places are unrecognisable even after just a gap of a few years between visits.
The biggest difference though is the public attitude towards technology and the aptitude to use it. They are the the definitive early adopters and are years ahead of us with the use if 5g technology in their everyday lives. The young are far more open the older end of course but the Middle Aged in China are far more tech aware and capable than many of their counterparts in the UK at least.

The result of mass acceptance and take up is that there is a thriving domestic tech industry pushing the whole thing forward at break neck speed.

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on October 03, 2022, 10:02:45 AM
Have you been?
Several times and the changes are beyond belief in 30 years. So, I wouldn't want to shatter the illusion that somehow while we are in terminal decline, they are using water Buffalo in the rice paddy fields. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 03, 2022, 09:55:37 AM
What has the amount they supply got to do with the technology level?
Have you ever been to Asia?

A friend of mine spent his working life visiting foreign countries. His comment to me was all he ended up knowing is one hotel is much like another whatever country you visit. 

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on October 03, 2022, 10:01:19 AM
LOL just light years ahead of ours. Why anyone would live in denial of that fact escapes me.
Have you been?