Where do they get these people?

Started by cromwell, October 03, 2022, 06:43:50 PM

« previous - next »

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on October 05, 2022, 07:15:16 PM
I guess that if she was privately educated and had public speaking lessons that would also be wrong. I see no reason for remarks about looks etc which I suspect would not have been made if she were a man.

come on Toots, Starmer has constantly been put down for what people perceive as wooden performances. I'm not sure you have done but I wouldnt put it past you ,you naughty girl.:)

T00ts

Quote from: B0ycey on October 05, 2022, 06:24:26 PM
What we're you expecting? Letters falling off in the background or something?

She read from an autocue. As long as she could read, she wasn't going to stutter. There was no humour and it sounded wooden. I have a feeling she is suffering from very early stages of dementia given the way she acts although I wouldn't wish that on anyone so hope I'm wrong. Hands everywhere, cheesy smile. Very slow in speech that slurs. The speech was subpar. But how it is presented is irrelevant to the substance of it. No detail how growth was going to be managed, very short in length. Marks out of ten. 1/10. The one given to the protestors who lightened up the room.
I guess that if she was privately educated and had public speaking lessons that would also be wrong. I see no reason for remarks about looks etc which I suspect would not have been made if she were a man. 

B0ycey

Quote from: patman post on October 05, 2022, 06:11:49 PM
Agreed almost totally. But I thought she delivered it better, more competently in fact, than might have been expected.

What we're you expecting? Letters falling off in the background or something?

She read from an autocue. As long as she could read, she wasn't going to stutter. There was no humour and it sounded wooden. I have a feeling she is suffering from very early stages of dementia given the way she acts although I wouldn't wish that on anyone so hope I'm wrong. Hands everywhere, cheesy smile. Very slow in speech that slurs. The speech was subpar. But how it is presented is irrelevant to the substance of it. No detail how growth was going to be managed, very short in length. Marks out of ten. 1/10. The one given to the protestors who lightened up the room.

patman post

Quote from: B0ycey on October 05, 2022, 04:25:29 PM
Hands everywhere, cheesy smile and very short with little detail. It was well delivered in the sense she got through it. We won't be talking about this speech next year I reckon.
Agreed almost totally. But I thought she delivered it better, more competently in fact, than might have been expected.

OK, I know she's an absorber and deliverer of required populist Right phrases. So being steeped in the text overnight and delivering it almost faultlessly is perhaps not a great accomplishment, but she did it...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: Good old on October 05, 2022, 04:18:35 PM
Meaningless. If you can say that in two years, because she has delivered ,that will be something. As it is talks cheap, and just as well because there is not going to be a lot of money about.
Given that she usually a very bad public speaker and interviewee, I thought it was surprisingly well delivered. But we learned very little of substance from it.

So I don't think we're that far apart in our thinking...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

B0ycey

Quote from: Good old on October 05, 2022, 05:51:27 PM
There is no detail yet, but time and again when she ,the chancellor, or other spokes persons talk of the plans, they always drop in the." We will continue to keep a rein on spending," bit.
Whether they dare to cut the already barely functioning in so much as deliberately reducing the budgets is to be seen. But with 10% inflation, reducing the real value of any increase and  causing  increased costs in all other ares
It's highly unlikely public spending can keep up .

Listen, I am only going by what a pollster said and as it happens, it is usually what people say when you speak to them on the subject. If Truss announces cuts in services in order to pay for tax cuts she is toast. The line of reining in spending won't matter when people would rather pay more tax over austerity.

Good old

Quote from: B0ycey on October 05, 2022, 05:37:48 PM
She hasn't announced any cuts yet Sheepy. Although we know she will.

It was interesting hearing a pollster on tele say something like if Truss does cuts in service's to pay for tax cuts, that has a 6% approval rating. It seems the electorate would rather pay more in tax than face austerity, so it will be interesting to see how she squares the round peg.

There is no detail yet, but time and again when she ,the chancellor, or other spokes persons talk of the plans, they always drop in the." We will continue to keep a rein on spending," bit.
Whether they dare to cut the already barely functioning in so much as deliberately reducing the budgets is to be seen. But with 10% inflation, reducing the real value of any increase and  causing  increased costs in all other areas.
It's highly unlikely public spending can keep up .

B0ycey

Quote from: Sheepy on October 05, 2022, 05:19:34 PM
At the same time making deeper cuts, so what use was years of austerity?

She hasn't announced any cuts yet Sheepy. Although we know she will. 

It was interesting hearing a pollster on tele say something like if Truss does cuts in service's to pay for tax cuts, that has a 6% approval rating. It seems the electorate would rather pay more in tax than face austerity, so it will be interesting to see how she squares the round peg.

Good old

Quote from: Sheepy on October 05, 2022, 05:19:34 PM

That thanks wasn't a slip of the finger, something we can agree about.

Sheepy

Quote from: B0ycey on October 05, 2022, 01:46:16 PM
She will have no excuse. She said she is borrowing for growth and she is doing something different. If the result in no growth or even worse a recession, then she is a failure on the one thing she promised we would have. And what is worse is we would have borrowed a large sum for that failure.

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on October 05, 2022, 05:00:41 PM
I doubt it was a slogan to say that nobody wants growth but more to say she is the only one who can deliver it. And that is a bold statement when we have double digit inflation, 27% increase in energy bills this month, mortgage rate hikes and high borrowing. I wonder if Truss is aware the 1p off income tax is insignificant to the inflation in food prices.

The truth is if she can't deliver growth before the election - or even worse we have a recession, the media will want an answer to why that is. If her bold move is going for growth, the electorate will demand that also. I think she has dug her own grave if you ask me.
The only growth I can see at the moment is a growth in the numbers needing a food bank, a growth in businesses going bust, and a growth in the cost of living.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

B0ycey

Quote from: Good old on October 05, 2022, 04:29:05 PM
She talks as if she owns Growth, no one else wants growth. Or so she seems to indicate even to her own tribe. So if you don't buy her off the cuff ,shoot from the hip policy ,you don't want growth , we have all wanted growth for twelve years and more.
We are desperate for growth .Not so long ago we wanted growth because it gave us a healthy economy, After twelve years of bumping the bottom we need it because if we slide further down the shoot we haven't got far to go to reach second rate, and tumbling.
I doubt it was a slogan to say that nobody wants growth but more to say she is the only one who can deliver it. And that is a bold statement when we have double digit inflation, 27% increase in energy bills this month, mortgage rate hikes and high borrowing. I wonder if Truss is aware the 1p off income tax is insignificant to the inflation in food prices.

The truth is if she can't deliver growth before the election - or even worse we have a recession, the media will want an answer to why that is. If her bold move is going for growth, the electorate will demand that also. I think she has dug her own grave if you ask me.

Good old

Quote from: B0ycey on October 05, 2022, 11:56:04 AM
Indeed.

Well, she is "Pro Growth". Her phase is "Growth Growth Growth". If we don't have high growth in two years, can we accept she has failed miserably?

She talks as if she owns Growth, no one else wants growth. Or so she seems to indicate even to her own tribe. So if you don't buy her off the cuff ,shoot from the hip policy ,you don't want growth , we have all wanted growth for twelve years and more.
We are desperate for growth .Not so long ago we wanted growth because it gave us a healthy economy, After twelve years of bumping the bottom we need it because if we slide further down the shoot we haven't got far to go to reach second rate, and tumbling.

B0ycey

Quote from: patman post on October 05, 2022, 02:43:54 PM
Really? I thought it was surprisingly well delivered.
Hands everywhere, cheesy smile and very short with little detail. It was well delivered in the sense she got through it. We won't be talking about this speech next year I reckon.

Good old

Quote from: patman post on October 05, 2022, 02:43:54 PM
Really? I thought it was surprisingly well delivered.

Meaningless. If you can say that in two years, because she has delivered ,that will be something. As it is talks cheap, and just as well because there is not going to be a lot of money about.