Political Tug o War

Started by T00ts, October 04, 2022, 06:29:31 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 05, 2022, 10:47:45 AM
I thought that until I saw how PR has been abused to become "spread the jobs around the top 4 and screw the rest"
Thats a problem we would need to overcome somehow . But selecting from the top 4 has to be better than selecting for the top 1 . I would say thats progress 

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 05, 2022, 05:57:39 AM
As Good Old says PR is the way to achieve harmony  . We need the best people in the right jobs regardless of political allegiance
I thought that until I saw how PR has been abused to become "spread the jobs around the top 4 and screw the rest"
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on October 04, 2022, 06:29:31 PM
If I am correct all sides of the Political spectrum are represented here but why do I not see any unity between those of the left or even particularly on the right? How on earth are we going to move the country forward with such opposing ideas of how to run the country? Are we going to be forever tossed from side to side and getting no-where? Surely the aim for both sides must be national integrity, success, survival and a general improvement in society?
If the dichotomy shown here is replicated nationwide as well as in Westminster then I begin to question just where this island is headed. Surely there has to come a time when all pull together? Something has to give somewhere.

given the last time we had a government of national unity a chap by the name of Churchill was running it, perhaps we could send our local Russophile to whisper in putins ear that today is a good day to repossess Poland for the soviet motherland

that should do the trick

i doubt much else will
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 05, 2022, 05:57:39 AM
We need the best people in the right jobs regardless of political allegiance
There is no sign at all of that currently.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

As Good Old says PR is the way to achieve harmony  . We need the best people in the right jobs regardless of political allegiance 

patman post

Possibly a "Government of National Unity" — or at least bringing in competent ex-colleagues — might be an answer, if we work with the system we've got and where we are now.

But can you see the characters and factions, that fed the electorate all those lies about the UK regaining its influence and rightful position as the world's premier trading power etc, etc, etc, after Brexit, and who now form the government, really being so accommodating or conciliatory...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Good old

If I am correct all sides of the Political spectrum are represented here but why do I not see any unity between those of the left or even particularly on the right? How on earth are we going to move the country forward with such opposing ideas of how to run the country? Are we going to be forever tossed from side to side and getting no-where? Surely the aim for both sides must be national integrity, success, survival and a general improvement in society?
If the dichotomy shown here is replicated nationwide as well as in Westminster then I begin to question just where this island is headed. Surely there has to come a time when all pull together? Something has to give somewhere.

I agree with the sentiment, Toots, in general we are never completely on the same page, nearly maybe but never quiet.  Take your party now, and Labour no better when it comes to in fighting.
The real problem as I see it , and certainly the two main parties are as bad as one another, is the system that  says only one ideology rules at any one time, it seems to me this encourages decision making not so much for the general good ,as for the ideals of the given party. PR might solve at least some of that, at least compromise would have to be in more use. The voter does of course play a part in the simplest of ways. Does one vote for what you know to be best for your country, and all in it , when it isn't the best vote for you personally ?, That can apply to any voter voting for any party. I fear it might all be to late. The mere fact that even the U.K. may not remain intact could be seen as the last straw. Politically in many  respects it's already broken , would PR bring the SNP into a cabinet? Only that might save the Union.

B0ycey

Something has to give somewhere.
Indeed. Something does need to give. Truss out Sunak in. Could just about tolerate a Tory government for two years with a fiscal responsible leader in charge. Besides, the fighting doesn't seem to be by the left or right at the moment. Tory grenades going off in their conference I read.

T00ts

If I am correct all sides of the Political spectrum are represented here but why do I not see any unity between those of the left or even particularly on the right? How on earth are we going to move the country forward with such opposing ideas of how to run the country? Are we going to be forever tossed from side to side and getting no-where? Surely the aim for both sides must be national integrity, success, survival and a general improvement in society?