Labour’s plans to crack down on tax-dodging corporations revealed

Started by papasmurf, October 07, 2022, 03:15:00 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 07, 2022, 07:28:24 PM
So much info that you had to post more links.
Which are at the link I posted with literally hundreds of others. (Then there is the pending case against Bernie Ecclestone.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on October 07, 2022, 06:00:11 PM
I doubt very much if they are breaking any laws so this means that Labour are planning law changes which won't get those companies to pay tax to us they will simply move their operations to countries with more favourable situations. We have seen it all before and Britain will be seen as no longer open for business.
That is quite a leap. But a typical one.

All I saw was a policy of not awarding government contracts to companies based in tax havens. What is wrong with that?

I want my taxes to be used to give work to those who are also paying their dues, not dodgers with zero patriotism.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 07, 2022, 07:09:16 PM
I already posted one. If you register for the updates you will find out.
There's nothing in that link, so I'm guessing no one has been prosecuted. 

papasmurf

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 07, 2022, 07:04:48 PM
I have no idea, the cases are still ongoing and increasing in number as time passed. 
Any links to that?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 07, 2022, 06:54:38 PM
How many people have been prosecuted from the Paradise Papers?
I have no idea, the cases are still ongoing and increasing in number as time passed.  

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 07, 2022, 06:09:46 PM
I do, given all the evidence of the last few years. https://www.icij.org/

Edited to make hyperlink work.
How many people have been prosecuted from the Paradise Papers? 

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 07, 2022, 06:00:11 PM
I doubt very much if they are breaking any laws
I do, given all the evidence of the last few years. https://www.icij.org/

Edited to make hyperlink work. 

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on October 07, 2022, 05:28:43 PM
So you support tax dodgers who are robbing the country blind? (Why does that no surprise me.)
I doubt very much if they are breaking any laws so this means that Labour are planning law changes which won't get those companies to pay tax to us they will simply move their operations to countries with more favourable situations. We have seen it all before and Britain will be seen as no longer open for business. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 07, 2022, 04:01:40 PM
That will get big business setting up in other countries, no wonder big business leave every time Labour are in power.
So you support tax dodgers who are robbing the country blind? (Why does that no surprise me.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 07, 2022, 03:15:00 PM
The media has kept quiet about this:-

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/labour-tax-government-contracts-offshore-havens-angela-rayner/

Labour's plans to crack down on tax-dodging corporations revealed
Exclusive: New policy details shed light on party's vow to prioritise tax-paying firms for government contracts

Ruby Lott-Lavigna
7 October 2022, 12.00am

Labour has vowed to prioritise companies paying full UK tax over those registered in offshore tax havens when awarding government contracts, openDemocracy can reveal.

At the party's annual conference last week, Labour announced plans to reduce procurement contracts going to tax-avoiding firms if elected, after research by the Fair Tax Foundation revealed that one in six contracts issued by Conservative governments between 2014 and 2019 had tax-haven links.

Policy details seen by openDemocracy shed light on how the party plans to implement greater tax transparency, with a company's tax status being taken into account when agreeing procurement contracts.

Deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner told openDemocracy that companies receiving contracts would be expected to make commitments to "shun" tax avoidance and not be registered in tax havens.
That will get big business setting up in other countries, no wonder big business leave every time Labour are in power. 

papasmurf

The media has kept quiet about this:-

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/labour-tax-government-contracts-offshore-havens-angela-rayner/

Labour's plans to crack down on tax-dodging corporations revealed
Exclusive: New policy details shed light on party's vow to prioritise tax-paying firms for government contracts

Ruby Lott-Lavigna
7 October 2022, 12.00am

Labour has vowed to prioritise companies paying full UK tax over those registered in offshore tax havens when awarding government contracts, openDemocracy can reveal.

At the party's annual conference last week, Labour announced plans to reduce procurement contracts going to tax-avoiding firms if elected, after research by the Fair Tax Foundation revealed that one in six contracts issued by Conservative governments between 2014 and 2019 had tax-haven links.

Policy details seen by openDemocracy shed light on how the party plans to implement greater tax transparency, with a company's tax status being taken into account when agreeing procurement contracts.

Deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner told openDemocracy that companies receiving contracts would be expected to make commitments to "shun" tax avoidance and not be registered in tax havens.