Quote from: Nick on October 09, 2022, 12:24:54 PM
You'll be telling me I'll have to start paying PAYE and NI next 😜

Let us hope not.

Only civilians end up on PAYE

:)
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on October 09, 2022, 12:15:31 PM
And if HMRC have the time and resources (which is unlikely) it might take a closer look at the company accounts. Which means that next time Pat motors up to Morrisons for a few bottles of their sparkling water, he will have pay for the petrol himself rather than putting it down as a business expense :)
You'll be telling me I'll have to start paying PAYE and NI next 😜 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on October 09, 2022, 11:22:16 AM
Don't think it is, the only thing that is happening is that the determination is being handed back to the contractor and not the client.
And if HMRC have the time and resources (which is unlikely) it might take a closer look at the company accounts. Which means that next time Pat motors up to Morrisons for a few bottles of their sparkling water, he will have pay for the petrol himself rather than putting it down as a business expense :)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 09, 2022, 05:39:49 AM
Indeed , always make sure your expenses are higher than  your declared earnings ;)
MPs seem to be very skilled at that.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 08, 2022, 08:59:58 PM
Nevermind, the IR35 off-payroll working rules will be repealed from 6 April 2023...
Don't think it is, the only thing that is happening is that the determination is being handed back to the contractor and not the client.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on October 08, 2022, 11:11:11 PM
 tax itself is usually a quite straightforward business.
Indeed , always make sure your expenses are higher than  your declared earnings ;)

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 08, 2022, 02:14:06 PM
I was going to respond to this yesterday but got sidetracked

I think it is fair to say the account holders at a certain offshoot of the bank of Ireland dedicated to assisting politically exposed persons to hide their loot, who I last assisted back when Gordon Brown was PM, come from a wide political spectrum.

I have no reason to believe the establishment is not still doing a roaring trade.

the Problem, if you ask jimmy carr, is that HMRC don't go after accountants, so they are immune when they give you inaccurate advice.
That is show business.

I once had an accountant howl abuse at me for 15 minutes without repeating a word. At least I don't think he repeated himself. I picked up a few words of Yiddish, Polish and Russian which seemed to suggest that he did not agree with the assessment HMRC had raised on his client.

Anyway, when he finally drew breath I said well Mr X, you are probably right, but unless we get the gelt by close of business tomorrow we will be levying distraint on both his home and his shop. And if that doesn't work the case will go to Worthing for bankruptcy proceedings.

And the accountant said, let us not get worked up. My client has just left. How about 6 months time to pay?

We settled on three.

The thing is that the public go a bit loony when it comes to taxes. They always think they are being robbed and that there is an accountant somewhere who will save save them telephone numbers, whereas the relationship between HMRC and accountants is usually quite affable and tax itself is usually a quite straightforward business.

Algerie Francais !

patman post

Nevermind, the IR35 off-payroll working rules will be repealed from 6 April 2023...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on October 07, 2022, 06:00:11 PM
I doubt very much if they are breaking any laws so this means that Labour are planning law changes which won't get those companies to pay tax to us they will simply move their operations to countries with more favourable situations. We have seen it all before and Britain will be seen as no longer open for business.
I was going to respond to this yesterday but got sidetracked 

I think it is fair to say the account holders at a certain offshoot of the bank of Ireland dedicated to assisting politically exposed persons to hide their loot, who I last assisted back when Gordon Brown was PM, come from a wide political spectrum.

I have no reason to believe the establishment is not still doing a roaring trade.

the Problem, if you ask jimmy carr, is that HMRC don't go after accountants, so they are immune when they give you inaccurate advice.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 07, 2022, 04:01:40 PM
That will get big business setting up in other countries, no wonder big business leave every time Labour are in power.
Exactly.

Unless there's international agreement on curbing the shifting of profits to low-tax economies, shaming customers into not trading with these companies, and the guilty companies deciding to use paying local tax as an image boost, it's a forlorn hope.

But too many countries still base their economies on being tax havens...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Its a nothing policy ,  a minimum  15% corporation tax  where countries do business was agreed between the worlds leading nations last year . Labour spouting off for spouting offs sake .

Nations agree to 15% minimum corporate tax rate - BBC News

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 08, 2022, 11:41:05 AM
It's like pulling teeth.
The links are there. If you register for weekly update emails you will be informed. The British media/press are not doing that. (Apart from the Ecclestone case.)

Nick

patman post

Quote from: srb7677 on October 07, 2022, 07:22:43 PM
That is quite a leap. But a typical one.

All I saw was a policy of not awarding government contracts to companies based in tax havens. What is wrong with that?

I want my taxes to be used to give work to those who are also paying their dues, not dodgers with zero patriotism.
Agreed — unless it works to the UK's disadvantage...

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on October 07, 2022, 08:16:48 PM
Another "go figure" post, drives me nuts.
There is nothing "go figure" about it. The information is there and easily searchable.