Labour’s plans to crack down on tax-dodging corporations revealed

Started by papasmurf, October 07, 2022, 03:15:00 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 09, 2022, 09:20:45 PM
I laughed.

The trouble with you Pappy, is that if we all came round to watch you drown on your own bile you still would not get the joke

:)
It isn't a joke, the problem is you can't see that.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 09, 2022, 12:57:07 PM
Frankly that is NOT funny, neither was the crack about not paying NI.

I laughed.

The trouble with you Pappy, is that if we all came round to watch you drown on your own bile you still would not get the joke

Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 09, 2022, 08:00:56 PM
But it seems to impact favourably on the contractor (and lessens the work of the employing company) in that payments would against the invoice, without company devised and calculated deductions.

The latest guidance I'm familiar with states:

The 2017 and 2021 reforms to the off-payroll working rules (also known as IR35) will be repealed from 6 April 2023. From this date, workers providing their services via an intermediary will once again be responsible for determining their employment status and paying the appropriate amount of tax and National Insurance contributions. This will free up time and money for businesses that engage contractors that could be put towards other priorities. The reform also minimises the risk that genuinely self-employed workers are impacted by the underlying off-payroll rules".
The company doesn't take any deductions even under the existing IR35 regulations, the construction industry has some weird CIS clause that takes 20% like the old SC60 but nothing to do with IR35. The new regs means the contractor determines whether the contract is inside or outside of IR35, which is how it was originally. If you're investigated and deemed to be inside IR35 you then have to pay all the PAYE. It's to stop the likes of contract draftsmen from doing a 9-5 job at the same office for years but as a contractor, saving the contractor from paying PAYE, NI and the client paying employees NI / pension.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on October 09, 2022, 08:16:35 PM
I expect Nick deals with cash and hand only. lol

National insurance is a voluntary payment Patman if you're "not earning". He doesn't pay it, he loses credit. He'll need his own pension.
You really haven't got a clue, 1 sugar please. 

Nick

B0ycey

Quote from: patman post on October 09, 2022, 08:11:09 PM
I've not tried this, but if you own a company and are paid only by dividends declared each trading year, there'd be no PAYE, but would you be liable for National Insurance...?
I expect Nick deals with cash and hand only. lol

National insurance is a voluntary payment Patman if you're "not earning". He doesn't pay it, he loses credit. He'll need his own pension.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 09, 2022, 08:11:09 PM
I've not tried this, but if you own a company and are paid only by dividends declared each trading year, there'd be no PAYE, but would you be liable for National Insurance...?
Yes.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on October 09, 2022, 02:26:31 PM
If you are not paying NI, really? Explain exactly why not and how not please.
I've not tried this, but if you own a company and are paid only by dividends declared each trading year, there'd be no PAYE, but would you be liable for National Insurance...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 09, 2022, 11:22:16 AM
Don't think it is, the only thing that is happening is that the determination is being handed back to the contractor and not the client.
But it seems to impact favourably on the contractor (and lessens the work of the employing company) in that payments would against the invoice, without company devised and calculated deductions.

The latest guidance I'm familiar with states:

The 2017 and 2021 reforms to the off-payroll working rules (also known as IR35) will be repealed from 6 April 2023. From this date, workers providing their services via an intermediary will once again be responsible for determining their employment status and paying the appropriate amount of tax and National Insurance contributions. This will free up time and money for businesses that engage contractors that could be put towards other priorities. The reform also minimises the risk that genuinely self-employed workers are impacted by the underlying off-payroll rules".
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 09, 2022, 03:22:26 PM
Fair enough but frankly I do not believe you are not paying NI unless you are retired or not resident in Britain.
Couldn't care less, I don't believe in missiles, comprendi?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 09, 2022, 03:01:21 PM
No.
Fair enough but frankly I do not believe you are not paying NI unless you are retired or not resident in Britain.

Nick

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 09, 2022, 01:29:56 PM
You're dead right, it ain't funny. No way I'm paying PAYE and NI.
If you are not paying NI, really? Explain exactly why not and how not please.

Nick

You're dead right, it ain't funny. No way I'm paying PAYE and NI. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 09, 2022, 12:44:33 PM
Let us hope not.

Only civilians end up on PAYE