For once a good news item.

Started by papasmurf, October 09, 2022, 11:03:36 AM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on October 11, 2022, 09:07:20 AM
Many of them think Cornwall is a country not a county.
It has an albeit rapidly fading separate national identity that survived into recent historical times. The last person to speak Cornish as their first language did not die until the 19th century. But in recent decades Cornish identity has been swamped by incomers from outside, whilst the brightest and best of the sons and daughters of Cornwall are forced to leave to be able to afford to live and find good opportunities. 
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 11, 2022, 08:58:33 AM
I thought it was claimed that the Cornish themselves were the indigenous ethnic minoroty...
Many of them think Cornwall is a country not a county. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

I thought it was claimed that the Cornish themselves were the indigenous ethnic minoroty...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 11, 2022, 05:14:18 AM
It does because the rising population and housing shortage is a national problem . Supply and demand means rising prices and some people looking to move to cheaper areas (cornwall) especially in retirment Up country has 13% of foriegn born nationals (self included) not to mention second generation UK nationals  . To say immigration has zero effect on the housing crisis in Cornwall is nonsense .
Ethnic minorities are only 0.3% of Cornwall's resident population, last census. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on October 10, 2022, 04:44:05 PM
No, but immigration has zero to with the housing crisis in Cornwall.  Immigrants are only 0.3% of the population (last census.)
It does because the rising population and housing shortage is a national problem . Supply and demand means rising prices and some people looking to move to cheaper areas (cornwall) especially in retirment 
Quote from: papasmurf on October 10, 2022, 06:01:11 PM
Mainly people from upcountry who could afford to buy them.
Up country has 13% of foriegn born nationals (self included) not to mention second generation UK nationals  . To say immigration has zero effect on the housing crisis in Cornwall is nonsense .

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on October 10, 2022, 11:55:28 PM
You are quibbling over very little. 0.3% of the population is going to have a negligible effect on housing availability.

For Cornwall certainly the by far greater impact will be the result of wealthier Britons from outside coming in and buying up all the property, pushing up prices beyond the means of locals, whilst greedy landlords evict their tenants to convert into more lucrative holiday lets. I know someone who was a victim of the latter in the Cornish town of Lostwithiel. It was either shack up with the woman he was seeing at her place or face homelessness.
I understand that. But you can't set your self up as an economy based on tourism and then complain that you get it. Blame the locals that sold up. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 10, 2022, 07:54:08 PM
0.3% has practically zero impact on the availability of housing for rent.
That's still 2000 people, but you seem fine with that. People who bring nothing to the county, unlike tourism that basically feeds the economy. 

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on October 10, 2022, 11:04:04 PM
So not zero then as you initially stated.
You are quibbling over very little. 0.3% of the population is going to have a negligible effect on housing availability.

For Cornwall certainly the by far greater impact will be the result of wealthier Britons from outside coming in and buying up all the property, pushing up prices beyond the means of locals, whilst greedy landlords evict their tenants to convert into more lucrative holiday lets. I know someone who was a victim of the latter in the Cornish town of Lostwithiel. It was either shack up with the woman he was seeing at her place or face homelessness.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 10, 2022, 07:54:08 PM
So not zero then as you initially stated.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 10, 2022, 07:44:51 PM
This 0.3% lives in a field does it? More nonsense saying the have ZERO affect of housing.

Nick

No, but immigration has zero to with the housing crisis in Cornwall.  Immigrants are only 0.3% of the population (last census.)
This 0.3% lives in a field does it? More nonsense saying the have ZERO affect of housing. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 10, 2022, 05:36:02 PM
Who do you think own airBnb's ,second homes ,and holiday lets ?
Mainly people from upcountry who could afford to buy them.

Streetwalker

Who do you think own airBnb's ,second homes ,and holiday lets ?

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 10, 2022, 04:24:53 PM
Do you think you are the only county in the country that has people looking for an affordable home to live in ?

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on October 10, 2022, 04:09:01 PM
Actually that "resettling Afghan refugees in Cornwall" is a kick in the teeth for the now many thousands of Cornish people looking for a home due to the overtourism, proliferation of AirBnBs, holiday lets and second homes.
Also there could be illegals being landed by the thousand in Cornwall there is nothing to stop them. (The Radar cover is poor once any vessel gets within a couple of miles of the shore.) There have been no coastguard patrols since the late 1980s due to cuts to staff.
Do you think you are the only county in the country that has people looking for an affordable home to live in ? Uncontrolled immigration has been a kick in the teeth for all the UK people welcome to the club .

You dont need radar to stop them coming either just some policies that doesn't make it worthwhile .

But anyway Im sounding like a old record , glad the dogs fine .