King wants slimmed down coronation

Started by patman post, October 10, 2022, 03:53:11 PM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Unless by slimming down he means he is handing in his p45, the cost is far too expensive in my opinion.

Streetwalker

Im for pushing the boat out , shows the UK is open for business cheers people up and its a good excuse for a party Union Flag

patman post

King Charles plans to have a slimmed-down coronation ceremony as he wishes to avoid extravagance while ordinary people struggle with the cost of living crisis, it has been reported.

A date has yet to be set for the crowning of the new monarch, though royal precedent and the large amount of planning involved suggest the ceremony will be at least several months away – possibly next spring.

The government has made no plans so far, Michelle Donelan, the culture secretary, said on Tuesday.
Pressed on LBC as to whether the coronation should be scaled down in light of the precarious economic circumstances, Ms Donelan said: "We will be considering everything, but we haven't made these decisions yet."

The King, however, is reportedly keen to demonstrate his understanding of the problems facing ordinary members of the public by holding a relatively modest ceremony.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/king-charles-coronation-cost-crown-b2171646.html

I guess there's various arguments for and against. Maybe the all the pageantry is archaic and outdated, but that's what many traditionalists and tourists like. Such events do gather a world-wide audience. Though some people suggest it portrays Britain/the UK as a Disney-like medieval circus, or that it's all history.

My view is that the style of the 1953 event would be too long, and that probably included too much ritual. Though it has to be admitted, state occasions here are done very well...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...