Who do you think will win the next general election?

Started by srb7677, October 11, 2022, 07:47:50 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Barry on October 11, 2022, 04:53:23 PM
That's just hilarious, PS, coming from you and Nick being a globetrotter who doesn't do PAYE. ;D

-----------------ANYWAY--------------

I don't think there will be a landslide for Labour at the next election. According to the polls, we've gone from a general election with 80 Con majority to Electoral Calculus forecasting only 85 seats for the Cons based on polls.

Events can always change things and if the IMF is right and Kwarteng's budget successfully stimulates growth, some better cooperation with our neighbours could have sorted out most of the current problems. If the war is over, even better.

It might be a close run thing in 2 years time.
Disregarding the fact I need to get out more (maybe I should cancel my trip to Russia next week and head down south to see where the action really is), anyone with the minimum of knowledge understands how owners of businesses pay tax. Steve could most likely do chapter and verse on this as he gets it. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

B0ycey

Quote from: Borchester on October 11, 2022, 04:09:25 PM
What will Labour do? Reopen the coal mines, nationalise the railways, pour even more money into the NHS?

Gawd luv you govn'r, that'll fix the economy.
GB energy Borky. Nationalised energy where the profits return back to the treasury. Close loopholes and stop offshoring. Apparently Starmer reckons it's all costed.

morayloon

Quote from: papasmurf on October 11, 2022, 04:26:38 PM
They will both have to grow up and form a coalition. (Except if there are enough Lib-Dems elected.)
Why should the SNP help either party to run the UK? After all, it is the State they want to break away from

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on October 11, 2022, 04:21:35 PM
Nick the parlous state of the country due to Tory incompetence does not need proof it is very obvious and getting worse every day.
If you kept up with news and current affairs or just got out more you would know that.
That's just hilarious, PS, coming from you and Nick being a globetrotter who doesn't do PAYE. ;D

-----------------ANYWAY--------------

I don't think there will be a landslide for Labour at the next election. According to the polls, we've gone from a general election with 80 Con majority to Electoral Calculus forecasting only 85 seats for the Cons based on polls.

Events can always change things and if the IMF is right and Kwarteng's budget successfully stimulates growth, some better cooperation with our neighbours could have sorted out most of the current problems. If the war is over, even better.

It might be a close run thing in 2 years time.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 11, 2022, 04:31:27 PM
As owner of this site it's my duty to try and stimulate something resembling reasonable debate. With you it is apparent I have failed as there is nothing reasonable or approaching debate. In the words of Depeche Mode "Enjoy the silence".
Reasonable debate on this forum? You must be joking. I can't remember that ever happening.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 11, 2022, 04:21:35 PM
Nick the parlous state of the country due to Tory incompetence does not need proof it is very obvious and getting worse every day.
If you kept up with news and current affairs or just got out more you would know that.
As owner of this site it's my duty to try and stimulate something resembling reasonable debate. With you it is apparent I have failed as there is nothing reasonable or approaching debate. In the words of Depeche Mode "Enjoy the silence". 

papasmurf

Quote from: morayloon on October 11, 2022, 04:23:24 PM
And if the SNP is the largest 3rd Party? How is that going to work? The SNP have already ruled out working with Labour. 
They will both have to grow up and form a coalition. (Except if there are enough Lib-Dems elected.)

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on October 11, 2022, 04:09:25 PM
What will Labour do? Reopen the coal mines, nationalise the railways, pour even more money into the NHS?

What they'll do is hack the Buddleja to bits and then gaze into next doors garden wondering why all the Butterflies are over there. 

morayloon

Quote from: papasmurf on October 11, 2022, 07:52:32 AM
Personally, I think that it will be a coalition with Labour the largest party however much Starmer states it won't be.

And if the SNP is the largest 3rd Party? How is that going to work? The SNP have already ruled out working with Labour. Anyway, why would the SNP want to help run the UK? In Scotland we have situations where Labour has joined with their Tory brothers to keep the SNP (the largest party) from running some administrations e.g. Edinburgh & Stirling.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 11, 2022, 04:15:16 PM
What you think on this forum is becoming increasingly more irrelevant if that's possible, as you never back anything up with data... Yet you demand proof off every other poster.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 11, 2022, 03:38:27 PM
Frankly I doubt that is possible.
What you think on this forum is becoming increasingly more irrelevant if that's possible, as you never back anything up with data... Yet you demand proof off every other poster. 

Borchester

Quote from: B0ycey on October 11, 2022, 02:39:37 PM
Well they are going to have to Nick. Truss is "All in" on her plan, the markets don't like it and the BoE had to buy bonds today. If she delivers no growth and even worse a recession after the fanfare of 'growth growth growth', it will be up to Labour to fix the economy no doubt about it.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 11, 2022, 02:50:32 PM
I don't disagree, however history tells us they will make an even bigger horlicks of it.
Frankly I doubt that is possible.

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on October 11, 2022, 02:39:37 PM
Well they are going to have to Nick. Truss is "All in" on her plan, the markets don't like it and the BoE had to buy bonds today. If she delivers no growth and even worse a recession after the fanfare of 'growth growth growth', it will be up to Labour to fix the economy no doubt about it.
I don't disagree, however history tells us they will make an even bigger horlicks of it.

B0ycey

Quote from: Nick on October 11, 2022, 02:28:45 PM
Labour couldn't sort out an economy if their life depended on it.
I suggest you look at history where they have nose dived the economy on every occasion.
Well they are going to have to Nick. Truss is "All in" on her plan, the markets don't like it and the BoE had to buy bonds today. If she delivers no growth and even worse a recession after the fanfare of 'growth growth growth', it will be up to Labour to fix the economy no doubt about it.