Fast food guide - getting it and making it

Started by Baron von Lotsov, January 27, 2020, 12:35:53 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=17152 time=1582310580 user_id=63
And even better if you get the kids to do it for you at home from scratch.

I wont touch those rolls of strange reprocessed protein and fat on a spinner things, but I quite got the taste for the chunks of chicken breast dunked in a marinade and sizzled on a griddle some years ago. And with a 'frying pan' thicker than the hull plating of HMS Duncan, sizzling them with a spray of something oily to get it going works wonders

I could recommend a joint in chelmsford some years ago, but these days, who knows...

I never go where there is just one kebab joint on the street. There has to be two or more within a couple of hundred meters to prove there's a demand and therefore steady sales...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=14345 time=1580131944 user_id=70
Disagree. I believe a freshly-cooked kebab (adana, doner, shish, beyti, etc) in a wrap with salad (cabbage, lettuce, tomato, onion, chilli) with fresh made chilli and/or garlic sauce is way more healthy than industrial bread rolls, meat and mayo. And it can be picked up on the way home to take home or eaten there...

And even better if you get the kids to do it for you at home from scratch.

I wont touch those rolls of strange reprocessed protein and fat on a spinner things, but I quite got the taste for the chunks of chicken breast dunked in a marinade and sizzled on a griddle some years ago. And with a 'frying pan' thicker than the hull plating of HMS Duncan, sizzling them with a spray of something oily to get it going works wonders

I could recommend a joint in chelmsford some years ago, but these days, who knows...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Baron von Lotsov

Here's a goodun. It's super-fast and very tasty.

Get a piece of leg of lamb, chop it up and season it with pepper and salt and a few spices. I think I used coriander, cumin and paprika.

Fry that up in a wok for a few minutes, then lob in some Morrison's Chinese stirfry and a pot of Morrison's Katsu sauce.  This is Morrison's on concoction and should be found in a small 60g tub near to where they sell the stirfry.

Cook that for a few minutes, add in a smidgen of water and then some Amoy Chinese rice noodles. Cook until the noodles are all mixed in, and that's it.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=14482 time=1580216595 user_id=53
Ah the old Elephants foot , cant beat it with loads of chilli sauce after 10 pints . Now that's  a take away !   :barf:

In Cornwall an Elephants foot is a huge cream filled Choux bun.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=14474 time=1580214126 user_id=70
 especially if the revolving doner is up there for more than a day...

Ah the old Elephants foot , cant beat it with loads of chilli sauce after 10 pints . Now that's  a take away !   :barf:

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=14396 time=1580151639 user_id=89
Quite, it states kebab meat, not what the meat is.

The Turkish kebab houses round here offer chicken and lamb. Some may grudgingly offer chips,. Those with full restaurant facilities also offer breads, rice, salad, and cooked veg. Greasy spoons are the dives that offer burgers — best avoided, especially if the revolving doner is up there for more than a day...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=14387 time=1580147056 user_id=74
Our kebab shop is a health hazard in itself. I know from experience.

Maybe, but is that possibly because its operators should not be let anywhere near food, and not because it offers kebabs...?

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=14405 time=1580153250 user_id=53
Yes I see , you talk of the dire range of shite that people buy from supermarkets and then promote ready made burgers with mayonnaise from Tesco . Could have at least gone to Waitrose  :D

Real burgers are not fast food but lovingly made while drinking a glass of Merlot , come on Baron if we are going to have a foody thread lets at least make the effort

The constituents are all good though. A piece of British chicken fillet is as good as the next to a point, unless you rear your own chickens. The idea though is create something edible with minimum effort, stress, confusion and all of that.

Some chefs can do it though. It's having the knack of a good combination. Lemon in the mayonnaise works with chicken. Another thing which does is avocado. That idea I nicked from the best bakery there ever was.

By the way, tip: use a bit of salt on the chicken. Mainstream suppliers never put salt in anything. It will make all the difference.

Streetwalker

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=14383 time=1580145384 user_id=74
You need a fridge and a shopping list. My problem is neither the fridge nor the shopping list but the dire range of sh*t that the average person buys from these supermarkets. There are thousands of examples of unattractive food in these places, so this guide is to cut that searching out. I've already done the legwork and am helping your legs in the process.

For example, say you went and got yourself a pot of Hellmann's mayonnaise and believe the label telling you it is real mayonnaise. You try that instead and find the burger just does not have what the pro version does. Then you have to go back to the shop and try a different brand, and feel like a fool when it's still not right. See what I'm getting at? It's all to do with reliable information. Sometimes it is possible  to get good food tips by learning from a good chef, but they are thin on the ground around here.

Yes I see , you talk of the dire range of shite that people buy from supermarkets and then promote ready made burgers with mayonnaise from Tesco . Could have at least gone to Waitrose  :D

Real burgers are not fast food but lovingly made while drinking a glass of Merlot , come on Baron if we are going to have a foody thread lets at least make the effort

Baron von Lotsov

Indeed, and for the above recipe the Tescos chicken is both British and it is a solid piece of chicken breast. There are many which look identical but are from what I think the industry term is "mechanically recovered meat". That is like a cheap meat pie. Also avoid what is called "EU origin" when we are buying this stuff.

However price is not the guide to quality in every case. I checked the ingredients of two brands of mayonnaise and the contents were almost identical but the price of one was twice that of the other. So it's a damn lottery this food buying business.

cromwell

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=14383 time=1580145384 user_id=74
You need a fridge and a shopping list. My problem is neither the fridge nor the shopping list but the dire range of sh*t that the average person buys from these supermarkets. There are thousands of examples of unattractive food in these places, so this guide is to cut that searching out. I've already done the legwork and am helping your legs in the process.

For example, say you went and got yourself a pot of Hellmann's mayonnaise and believe the label telling you it is real mayonnaise. You try that instead and find the burger just does not have what the pro version does. Then you have to go back to the shop and try a different brand, and feel like a fool when it's still not right. See what I'm getting at? It's all to do with reliable information. Sometimes it is possible  to get good food tips by learning from a good chef, but they are thin on the ground around here.

Around where,the forum,where you live, the UK?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=14387 time=1580147056 user_id=74

Quite, it states kebab meat, not what the meat is.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=14345 time=1580131944 user_id=70
Disagree. I believe a freshly-cooked kebab (adana, doner, shish, beyti, etc) in a wrap with salad (cabbage, lettuce, tomato, onion, chilli) with fresh made chilli and/or garlic sauce is way more healthy than industrial bread rolls, meat and mayo. And it can be picked up on the way home to take home or eaten there...

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=14315 time=1580111022 user_id=53
Well that plan crashed and burned as soon as you mentioned shopping Baron . My visits to fast food outlets are restricted to and coincide we me falling out of the club and theres no way Im walking around the shops which by now are shut anyway .

The whole point of fast food is that its er,  fast  .

I normally just have another couple of pints a packet of peanuts and go home and have a kip . Trust me the guts feel better for it in the morning and you enjoy the breakfast  fry up that little bit more . :thup:

You need a fridge and a shopping list. My problem is neither the fridge nor the shopping list but the dire range of shit that the average person buys from these supermarkets. There are thousands of examples of unattractive food in these places, so this guide is to cut that searching out. I've already done the legwork and am helping your legs in the process.

patman post

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=14310 time=1580085353 user_id=74
...................the fast food kebab joint is a health hazard...................