New Poll predicts Tories will get 4 seats and SNP will become the opposition!

Started by B0ycey, October 15, 2022, 07:34:23 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 18, 2022, 05:43:37 PM
It also says...

It also found that just 9 per cent of voters – fewer than one in 10

But you didn't bother quoting that bit, which is strange as that was the line I alluded to.
But not the bit I was alluding to — which was your strange implication that GBN was somehow part of the "rabid left" — even Andrew Neil the original face of GBN departed, saying he thought it was like Fox News.

So I'm happy to leave you making your point...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 18, 2022, 12:58:25 PM
The link says:

Philip Proudfoot has crunched the numbers on recent PeoplePolling research for TV channel GB News that gave Labour a 53 per cent share of the national vote compared to just 19 per cent for the Tories.

GB News is hardly the rabid Left — verging on the Rabid Right, maybe, and probably fearful the Tories won't win enough seats in a coming election to allow the likes of the ERG to have any influence...
It also says...

It also found that just 9 per cent of voters – fewer than one in 10

But you didn't bother quoting that bit, which is strange as that was the line I alluded to. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2022, 11:38:05 PM
The fact that the link has to explain that 9% is less than 1 in 10 tells you it's aimed at Chimps. Wish politics from the rabid left.
The link says:

Philip Proudfoot has crunched the numbers on recent PeoplePolling research for TV channel GB News that gave Labour a 53 per cent share of the national vote compared to just 19 per cent for the Tories.

GB News is hardly the rabid Left — verging on the Rabid Right, maybe, and probably fearful the Tories won't win enough seats in a coming election to allow the likes of the ERG to have any influence...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

B0ycey

Quote from: srb7677 on October 18, 2022, 04:45:49 AM
The voting system itself is letting us all down. When most of us might as well not bother because a chimpanzee with the right rosette on would win where we are, where most of our votes are entirely wasted anyway and where the effective choice even where we have one is so limited, it is scarcely surprising that so many see little point in bothering. And that's before you even consider the low calibre of parliamentarian these days.

I think you're right Steve. FPTP creates a two party system. PR would create an array of parties each associated with pledges that suit the individual. Don't care what people think, European parliamentary seems to work quite well,  certainly better than what we have. Labour for example only seems to fit in well with me in terms of the old guard. Don't really like the Blairites. But you have to work with them or you'll never win anything under FPTP.

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on October 17, 2022, 11:02:21 PM
The sad thing in all this is that perhaps voting percentages will fall or worse the extremist parties will look  attractive to some.
They will only fall if Truss remains in place Cromwell. It isn't like the electorate have fallen in love with Labour, they have just fallen out of love of the jokers they put in charge of the party. But the bar can't be set much lower than Truss. Unless she is replaced with Dorries, a quick change of leader might be worth 10 percentage points I reckon.

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on October 17, 2022, 11:10:10 PM
Which is very depressing,the right to vote was hard won but I believe the Westminster bubble is letting all down.
The voting system itself is letting us all down. When most of us might as well not bother because a chimpanzee with the right rosette on would win where we are, where most of our votes are entirely wasted anyway and where the effective choice even where we have one is so limited, it is scarcely surprising that so many see little point in bothering. And that's before you even consider the low calibre of parliamentarian these days.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on October 17, 2022, 11:10:10 PM
Which is very depressing,the right to vote was hard won but I believe the Westminster bubble is letting all down.

Well yes and no Ollie.

Decisions are made by those who show up, but saying sod the lot of you is not a dishonourable position either.

Right now the Tory party needs some Tories to lead the party and all they have is a pair of confused remainers who want Brussels to run the UK. The right wing alternatives appear to be a bunch of swivel eyed loons who think the country's problems will be solved by banning immigration and pouring petrol through ethnics' letter boxes. And the moment the left opens its mouth you realise that what it really wants is a change of nappies.

So unless things change, I think I will sit the next election out.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on October 17, 2022, 11:08:08 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if turnout hit an all time low.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on October 17, 2022, 11:02:21 PM
The sad thing in all this is that perhaps voting percentages will fall or worse the extremist parties will look  attractive to some.
It wouldn't surprise me if turnout hit an all time low.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

The sad thing in all this is that perhaps voting percentages will fall or worse the extremist parties will look  attractive to some.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

The Monster Raving Loony Party could end up being the official opposition at this rate.

Then again, it looks like they are already in government. lol

Barry

† The end is nigh †

HDQQ

If voters are deserting the Tory party, where they go instead will decide whether the SNP becomes the official opposition.

Some will choose not to vote, some will go over to Labour - most likely those 'red wall' voters who had switched from Labour in recent years.
The Lib Dems might have got some traction by then, especially if they get some Tory floor-crossers heading their way.

Another question is whether there can be a 'minority' official opposition. What I mean is if there were 150 opposition MPs but they belonged to different parties (SNP, Tory, Lib Dem, Plaid Cymru,) and none of those parties had half of the opposition's MPs, the biggest party couldn't 'oppose' on its own, meaning they couldn't necessarily represent the will of the opposition. 
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on October 16, 2022, 04:35:43 AM
The other biased organ of the left ( the daily wail) describes in detail the shambles and infighting amongst tories how number 10 says it's all the fault of the public schoolboy tories who hate that a woman is pm....who is mysoginistic now :P
Indeed Cromwell. Those same public Schoolboy Tories yearn for Thatcher, so how exactly is that misogynistic? I get fed up of woke culture. If a women is shit at her job, you shouldn't have to feel the crazy wokies will attack you because women deserve special treatment in their eyes. Women should be treated the same as men whatever that is. And that is exactly not better. We gave BoJo a hard time for being shit, we are going to do it for Truss who is worse.

B0ycey

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2022, 04:11:50 AM
I'm almost tempted to believe it.
The Tory's are clearly on a self destruct.

I'm not looking at them and seeing anything election winning.

How hard is it?
To subsidise your heating bills this winter we are suspending HS2.
Job done. Rapturous applause.

Instead we have the ousting of the landslide winning PM.
WTF.

And they aren't finished yet.
By infighting they have neutralised their majority control over parliament.
And by getting rid of their most popular leader in a generation, they have neutralised their ability to get another strong majority.

Total self destruct.
I agree with most of this, but BoJo had to go given he was tanking the polls. I will also agree that right now they would have been better off to have kept him given Truss has truly messed things up, but if the Tory members had selected Sunak instead I genuinely believe they could have turned the tide around.