Project Fear

Started by patman post, October 17, 2022, 11:43:58 AM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: patman post on October 17, 2022, 12:44:39 PM
I doubt rejoining (or stepping back in) will be an option. The UK was a senior member on — mostly thanks to the blessed Margaret — very favourable terms. It threw that away.

In my opinion — unless it was extremely lucky, or had something very special the EU wanted — the only way the UK could reassociate itself more closely with the EU would be through a Norwegian-style EEA membership...
I agree with most of this but the EU would welcome us back if we asked and may even give us our rebate back (but not a certainty). I doubt the government would do such a thing today given that is a big admittance of our stupidity, but if was want growth, a CU is a good compromise I suspect and a better one is joining the single market.

Sean

Quote from: Javert on October 17, 2022, 12:23:32 PM
The number of people who actually wanted Brexit for "real" reasons and wanted it all along is a pretty small minority of the population.  As the years go by, the support for Brexit is falling back to that small minority as the rest realise that the reasons they were persuaded to vote for Brexit in 2016 were simply lies.
Yes. The gammons have had their "fun". Time to put away the Vera Lyn Records , retire the war medals and accept its time for Keir to take power , and put the UK back where it belongs. As part of our wider European union .I would be surprised if the gammons could muster half the support they got in 2016. Watching the catastrophe of the Truss government unfold makes me believe we are surely in the last days of this brexit disaster.

patman post

Quote from: B0ycey on October 17, 2022, 12:24:04 PM
Really?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_on_the_United_Kingdom_rejoining_the_European_Union_(2020%E2%80%93present)

Just the 14pt lead for rejoining.
I doubt rejoining (or stepping back in) will be an option. The UK was a senior member on — mostly thanks to the blessed Margaret — very favourable terms. It threw that away.

In my opinion — unless it was extremely lucky, or had something very special the EU wanted — the only way the UK could reassociate itself more closely with the EU would be through a Norwegian-style EEA membership...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on October 17, 2022, 12:08:55 PM
Remainers! They really don't get the point at all. It wasn't Conservative or Labour policy it was a national decision. Something Sheepy would approve of since it was the people's decision. Those of us who understand just what the EU stood for have waited 45 years to be asked the question. You remainers haven't even had time to understand the question. Hang about for a while and you might begin the see the point. Perhaps another 45 years will be enough time.  ;D
Tell that to the Telegraph — or Jeremy Warner: "We'll be paying the consequences of this unravelling of the Brexit dream in reduced standing and prosperity for years, if not decades, to come."

https://twitter.com/JeremyWarnerUK/status/1581330560571801602?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Quote from: B0ycey on October 17, 2022, 12:30:17 PM
More like buyers regret Sheepy. These polls are selective with who they ask. Many of these will be Brexiteers who saw the light.
Only in your dream world Boycey.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

B0ycey

Quote from: Sheepy on October 17, 2022, 12:26:58 PM
The same 14pt for staying by any chance? all they got was the usual people trying to make excuses for voting stay while the majority told them they hadn't changed their minds and the last 6 years hadn't made a bit of difference, in fact the majority had grown. So good luck with that as it will be another Labour disaster.

More like buyers regret Sheepy. These polls are selective with who they ask. Many of these will be Brexiteers who saw the light.

Sheepy

Quote from: B0ycey on October 17, 2022, 12:24:04 PM
Really?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_on_the_United_Kingdom_rejoining_the_European_Union_(2020%E2%80%93present)

The same 14pt for staying by any chance? all they got was the usual people trying to make excuses for voting stay while the majority told them they hadn't changed their minds and the last 6 years hadn't made a bit of difference, in fact the majority had grown. So good luck with that as it will be another Labour disaster.

B0ycey

Quote from: Sheepy on October 17, 2022, 12:19:38 PM
I think you will find they got a wakeup call the other day when they were asking people if they had changed their mind about the EU, unanimously they hadn't.

Really?

Javert

The number of people who actually wanted Brexit for "real" reasons and wanted it all along is a pretty small minority of the population.  As the years go by, the support for Brexit is falling back to that small minority as the rest realise that the reasons they were persuaded to vote for Brexit in 2016 were simply lies.

Sheepy

Quote from: B0ycey on October 17, 2022, 12:12:34 PM
Well looking at the polls, a lot of people have changed their mind. And if we are all about "growth, growth, growth", we should be rejoin the single market in any case and then what was the point of Brexit at all.
I think you will find they got a wakeup call the other day when they were asking people if they had changed their mind about the EU, unanimously they hadn't.

B0ycey

Well looking at the polls, a lot of people have changed their mind. And if we are all about "growth, growth, growth", we should be rejoin the single market in any case and then what was the point of Brexit at all.

T00ts

Remainers! They really don't get the point at all. It wasn't Conservative or Labour policy it was a national decision. Something Sheepy would approve of since it was the people's decision. Those of us who understand just what the EU stood for have waited 45 years to be asked the question. You remainers haven't even had time to understand the question. Hang about for a while and you might begin the see the point. Perhaps another 45 years will be enough time.  ;D

patman post

Downbeat predictions by the Treasury and others on the economic consequences of leaving the EU, contemptuously dismissed at the time by Brexit campaigners as "Project Fear", have been on a long fuse, but they have turned out to be overwhelmingly correct, and if anything have underestimated both the calamitous loss of international standing and the scale of the damage that six years of policy confusion and ineptitude has imposed on the country.

Call it revenge of the Remainer Establishment, if you like. The revolution in the British economy promised by Leave campaigners six years ago finally seemed to go the way of all revolutionary movements this week: it ended up eating itself....
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/10/15/project-fear-right-along/

A bit late — and the Telegraph doesn't confess to having played a major role in this catastrophe — nevertheless, now a Tory house journal is seeing the reality, this could be a good one for a competent Tory Party to put right...

B0ycey

Quote from: patman post on October 17, 2022, 11:43:58 AM
Project Fear was right all along

Six years of policy confusion and ineptitude has brought a calamitous loss of standing

Yeah read this on another forum Patman. It is an article from the Torygraph as well. We remainers proven right yet again.

patman post

Project Fear was right all along

Six years of policy confusion and ineptitude has brought a calamitous loss of standing