Project Fear

Started by patman post, October 17, 2022, 11:43:58 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 15, 2022, 11:11:53 AM
But you are ignoring the fact that they did the jobs for less pay. They undercut our guys because money at home was worth so much more to them, so they sent it home and were quids in.

I am ignoring nothing, after the leave vote, around one million foreign workers packed their bags and left Britain because they did not want to stay where they were not wanted.
Now they can't get back because the Home Office won't let them.
This is going causing a threat to Britain's food security. The hospitality and tourism industries the NHS and nursing homes.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 15, 2022, 10:55:51 AM
The only reason for the job vacancies is Brexit has stopped the foreign workers from doing them. (40000 crop pickers needed.) Hospitality and tourism businesses closing down because of it. The list is long that is just a sample.
But you are ignoring the fact that they did the jobs for less pay. They undercut our guys because money at home was worth so much more to them, so they sent it home and were quids in. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 15, 2022, 10:41:20 AM
The immediate effect was job vaccancies increased as did wages . But retired people probably just saw it as not enough people to service them
The only reason for the job vacancies is Brexit has stopped the foreign workers from doing them. (40000 crop pickers needed.) Hospitality and tourism businesses closing down because of it. The list is long that is just a sample.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 15, 2022, 10:03:16 AM
I have yet to see ANY benefit of Brexit, sorry EUexit.
The immediate effect was job vaccancies increased as did wages . But retired people probably just saw it as not enough people to service them

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 15, 2022, 10:01:38 AM
Its also worth remembering that de regulation of the City would encourage international investment so the 'fix' to put us back as the No 1 market is in the governments hands . Which was really a benefit of Brexit yet untapped .
I have yet to see ANY benefit of Brexit, sorry EUexit.

Streetwalker

Its also worth remembering that de regulation of the City would encourage international investment so the 'fix' to put us back as the No 1 market is in the governments hands . Which was really a benefit of Brexit yet untapped .

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 15, 2022, 08:28:03 AM
Energy prices are much lower in France which of course increases consumer spending
There is also a 30centime per litre subsidy, on petrol. On our recent holiday in Brittany the we used a whole €8 of electricity in two weeks. (The rent of the six berth mobile home was cheap €200 per week and the only extra was the electricity.)
Fruit and veg was cheap, IF we bought local produce. A grade one cauliflower as big as a football 90centimes.

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on November 14, 2022, 10:20:32 PM
Another 'project fear' prediction has come true today, with the London Stock Exchange being overtaken by the Paris 'Bourse' in value.  In 2016 the LSE was worth considerably more than the Bourse. Remainers said this would happen, and now it has. Covid can't be blamed, as France was affected about as badly as we were. Same goes for Putin's war. That just leaves Brexit. Explain . . .
Little to do with brexit . You say France is effected the same as the UK due to Putins  war which isn't really on the ball . Energy prices are much lower in France which of course increases consumer spending 
France (good luck to them) also  have a luxury goods market which has attracted much spending from China 

The UK market  on the other hand is/has been  far more exposed to unpredictable sectors and  those effected by zero rate interest rates . 
A recession looms apparentley so dont expect much change anytime soon but I dont think there is much to worry about here long term . 

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on November 14, 2022, 10:20:32 PM
Another 'project fear' prediction has come true today, with the London Stock Exchange being overtaken by the Paris 'Bourse' in value.  In 2016 the LSE was worth considerably more than the Bourse. Remainers said this would happen, and now it has. Covid can't be blamed, as France was affected about as badly as we were. Same goes for Putin's war. That just leaves Brexit. Explain . . .
Dunno.

The combined value of French shares is $2.823 trillions while the British is $2.821 trillions, which means that we are $0.002 trillion behind France.

Maybe the money slipped down the back of the sofa?
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Streetwalker

Quote from: Good old on October 24, 2022, 01:39:35 PM
Don't know what the fret is, we could only ever have some sort of no strings partial deal.They will never have us pulling any of their strings again.
If there was another referendum you would have a better argument now, as we would be asking for forgiveness and believe it or not that's what most of us will not do.
No worries here Good Old , in 40 years time the EU either  wont exist or will be that integrated they wont want us anymore than we will want them ;)

Good old

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 24, 2022, 01:26:58 PM
Good post Baff but if they want a referendum they can wait 40 years for it the same as we did Union Flag

Don't know what the fret is, we could only ever have some sort of no strings partial deal.They will never have us pulling any of their strings again.
If there was another referendum you would have a better argument now, as we would be asking for forgiveness and believe it or not that's what most of us will not do.

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 24, 2022, 01:26:58 PM
Good post Baff but if they want a referendum they can wait 40 years for it the same as we did Union Flag

Which will suit Starmer. At bottom Sir Stodge is a quiet chap and does not want the fuss of another referendum anytime soon.

So, I would rather have had Boris waving his arms in the air and adding to the gaiety of the nation, but if the brothers and sisters want to form a slightly left of centre government then I can live with that.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Good post Baff but if they want a referendum they can wait 40 years for it the same as we did Union Flag

Baff

If there have been any isolatable damages to the economy from Brexit they have been essentially negligible.
And certainly not on the scale described by project fear. No one in their right minds thinks any of that was ever rational at this point.
It's really just those people who want to be in charge of the economy but have been resoundingly rejected for those positions that still want to win that argument. And place themselves back in those positions. The winners of that debate have all moved on.

For me the CU and the SM were two of the larger reasons I wanted to leave the EU.
There is no economic benefit to the UK of being in the SM. Exporters are 100% free to adopt EU regulations. Always have been, always will be.
And the economic benefit of the CU is arguable. Pro's and cons. Might be good vs China. Particularly shit vs Commonwealth.

Why did the membership elect Liz Truss in this regard?
For the same reasons they voted to leave the EU.
She was offering a radically different economic policy.

A change from the the previous decades of managed decline.
She was offering people the chance to make a fundamental change to our nations economic policy that a great many people do not agree with and do not feel that they have been benefitting from. An ongoing train wreck.
A change of direction and a change of leadership.
And this resonates with many of the economic concerns over EU membership.

These people who see themselves as the authoritative voices on economics, are not seen that way by as many people as they would wish.

Starmer.
Starmer was once elected on the prospectus of delivering Brexit.
He famously spent the next four years trying to stymie it.

Do I trust him not to do the same again? Not one inch.
Neither did I trust Liz Truss to do this either, for that matter.

If you want this country to join the EU, put it to a referendum.