Project Fear

Started by patman post, October 17, 2022, 11:43:58 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on November 15, 2022, 03:15:14 PM
I am heartily sick of the constant talking the country down.
Not from me you won't T00ts. Including the U.K. I've been to 11 different countries this year and excluding India and Cambodia the situation has been the same in all the rest. The Netherlands has closed runways at Schiphol airport, industrial action and has inflation of over 14%, France has that much industrial action and demonstrations it's hard to keep up. In the US every restaurant and bar I went to were crying out for servers, and these were some of the big chains also like Chili's and Arbies. Restaurants in Germany were closed half the week due to staff shortages, including Chinese Restaurants, they couldn't get out of China after they dashed back to avoid being locked down abroad. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on November 15, 2022, 03:15:14 PM

Why?

It is what we do best.

With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause every position must be held to the last man.

We are alright with that sort of thing.

It is just when the good times roll that we don't know what to do with ourselves  :)
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on November 15, 2022, 02:52:02 PM
As you have been told many times with references the problem is far worse in Britain.

And the worst place for these problems is Cornwall :)
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 15, 2022, 12:22:28 PM

what happens the day nobody can afford to buy what's in the shop you work at ??

Then prices drop because no one wants to price themselves out of business.

Every minor hiccup in the economy is treated as the end of the world until it is realised that it ain't
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 15, 2022, 02:32:36 PM
As you've been told countless times it is the same all over the world, it's not Brexit related.
As you have been told many times with references the problem is far worse in Britain.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 15, 2022, 11:30:51 AM
I am ignoring nothing, after the leave vote, around one million foreign workers packed their bags and left Britain because they did not want to stay where they were not wanted.
Now they can't get back because the Home Office won't let them.
This is going causing a threat to Britain's food security. The hospitality and tourism industries the NHS and nursing homes.
As you've been told countless times it is the same all over the world, it's not Brexit related. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on November 15, 2022, 12:15:03 PM
I know that and you know that, far too many people don't. Before the foreign gangsters, sorry gangers, took over crop picking and refuse to employ the local labour that had been doing to job, crop pickers working on paid by results could earn £90 a day locally. (That was decades ago.) Now as a result local people tell the gangers what orifice they can stick the job up.

Not in my part of the world you couldn't.

I can remember the fruit picking and spud lifting and the peas and all the rest and it was great fun. Bonfires and cookouts and chinicking with the girls and the locals earning a few bob to supplement their benefits, but no one made £90 a day.

I guess that it was different in Cornwall or maybe Pappy has been reading those Pa Larkin books again :)
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

But in order to HAVE an economy there has to be a situation in which those at its lower end have to have someone, somewhere, buying the output of their labour or the whole system tanks.

I know and have known from day one with my first 'pay' packet as a paper boy where the money ending up in my pocket came from. As a businessman it was all too clear the state's parasitic tax take at every stage destroys, rather than enhances, production.

but that is perhaps an aside

I think our argument is (well mine anyway ) is that the lower end needs to be closer to the higher which I believe it would naturally be without the flooding of the jobs market with EU labour . 
How about having an economy where I can afford to buy the output of my own labour 

papasmurf

I suspect that day is closer than many people think.

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on November 15, 2022, 11:59:01 AM
If we need cheap labour to keep the economy going, there is something wrong with our economic model.
But in order to HAVE an economy there has to be a situation in which those at its lower end have to have someone, somewhere, buying the output of their labour or the whole system tanks.

I know and have known from day one with my first 'pay' packet as a paper boy where the money ending up in my pocket came from. As a businessman it was all too clear the state's parasitic tax take at every stage destroys, rather than enhances, production.

but that is perhaps an aside

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on November 15, 2022, 11:59:01 AM
If we need cheap labour to keep the economy going, there is something wrong with our economic model.
I know that and you know that, far too many people don't. Before the foreign gangsters, sorry gangers, took over crop picking and refuse to employ the local labour that had been doing to job, crop pickers working on paid by results could earn £90 a day locally. (That was decades ago.) Now as a result local people tell the gangers what orifice they can stick the job up.

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on November 15, 2022, 11:46:12 AM
So much cheap labour was keeping the economy going.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 15, 2022, 11:41:00 AM
Don't you think that it was more that they had the best of both worlds? Poverty at home and 'riches' here? They have simply gone elsewhere within the EU where they can repeat their MO. So much cheap labour was dragging us down. It was a false economy.
So much cheap labour was keeping the economy going. 

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 15, 2022, 11:30:51 AM
I am ignoring nothing, after the leave vote, around one million foreign workers packed their bags and left Britain because they did not want to stay where they were not wanted.
Now they can't get back because the Home Office won't let them.
This is going causing a threat to Britain's food security. The hospitality and tourism industries the NHS and nursing homes.
Don't you think that it was more that they had the best of both worlds? Poverty at home and 'riches' here? They have simply gone elsewhere within the EU where they can repeat their MO. So much cheap labour was dragging us down. It was a false economy.