Project Fear

Started by patman post, October 17, 2022, 11:43:58 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Red Rackham on November 17, 2022, 03:55:01 AM
I recently read something from Lord Wolfson, the chief executive of NEXT. He said we desperately need overseas workers because there is simply not enough people in this country to do jobs like working in shops. He is of course talking bollox.

The 'average' pay of a NEXT employee is wait for it, £6.86 an hour. And Lord Wolfson wonders why he can't find employees. Perhaps someone should point out to him that Aldi pay £10.10 an hour, £11.55 within the M25.
Half way through reading your post I thought I will mention Aldi, but no need 😉.
I will mention that pay increases are at an historical high. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Red Rackham

Quote from: papasmurf on November 16, 2022, 07:30:44 PM
According to Andrew Bailey, governor of the Bank Of England giving evidence to the Treasury Committee today, Britain has the worst labour shortage problem in the OECD. (The transcript will be available later.) The video is here:-

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/5500d3ce-737f-4948-b438-ff2d700e892a
I recently read something from Lord Wolfson, the chief executive of NEXT. He said we desperately need overseas workers because there is simply not enough people in this country to do jobs like working in shops. He is of course talking bollox.

The 'average' pay of a NEXT employee is wait for it, £6.86 an hour. And Lord Wolfson wonders why he can't find employees. Perhaps someone should point out to him that Aldi pay £10.10 an hour, £11.55 within the M25.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on November 16, 2022, 06:13:51 PM
All very low paid sectors, I note. Perhaps that is why they have had to rely so heavily upon cheap imported labour?

Clearly either these sectors have to pay much more or be allowed to exploit cheap foreign labour again. Which do you think is better and why?
If I may the answer is  both .  Import the labour we require  and pay them more . 

The difference to EU membership is they come on work visas , dont get any top up benefits and leave when the job is done . If the job is ongoing they can apply for residency after a set period .  (I think it used to work something like that pre free movement) 

papasmurf

According to Andrew Bailey, governor of the Bank Of England giving evidence to the Treasury Committee today, Britain has the worst labour shortage problem in the OECD. (The transcript will be available later.) The video is here:-

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/5500d3ce-737f-4948-b438-ff2d700e892a
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on November 16, 2022, 12:40:18 PM
Using the US as an example of anything is diversionary tactics and has no relevance to the UK/EU situation.

Of course it has relevance.
It is a control group.

Showing you that there are other primary drivers in the economy than Brexit.

Baff

Quote from: srb7677 on November 16, 2022, 06:13:51 PM
All very low paid sectors, I note. Perhaps that is why they have had to rely so heavily upon cheap imported labour?

Clearly either these sectors have to pay much more or be allowed to exploit cheap foreign labour again. Which do you think is better and why?

It's a balancing act.
The needs of the employer vs the needs of the employee.

It's not a static relationship either. There is no "right answer". Just a conflict of interest to be managed.

Baff

Quote from: B0ycey on October 17, 2022, 12:12:34 PM
Well looking at the polls, a lot of people have changed their mind. And if we are all about "growth, growth, growth", we should be rejoin the single market in any case and then what was the point of Brexit at all.
If you look at the polls you will see that a lot of people have also changed their mind about wanting to be in the EU.
And support for joining is not there, Has collapsed.

Join the single market? Remainers and the EU have killed that option thoroughly by marrying it to the free movement of people.

We have a free trade deal with the EU.
The single market is not good for the economy.
If you are in a rush to see the promised economic benefits of Brexit, then divergence from the single market is required.
I suggest to you that a slow pace is optimum. Changes occurring as the needs arise.
Rather than just some ideological driven agenda.

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on November 16, 2022, 01:11:16 PM
Nick you can faf about as much as you like EUexit is a factor in the labour shortages in agriculture, horticulture, meat and other food processing, care workers, hospitality, and logistics.

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 16, 2022, 12:57:31 PM

Nick you can faf about as much as you like EUexit is a factor in the labour shortages in agriculture, horticulture, meat and other food processing, care workers, hospitality, and logistics. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 16, 2022, 12:51:39 PM
It is and for very good reasons. You can use all the diversionary tactics you like EUexit is a factor in labour shortages being worse in the UK than the EU.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 16, 2022, 12:45:27 PM
So using the biggest economy in the world as an example is diversionary is it? Why did you totally ignore John's evidence then showing the whole world?
It is and for very good reasons. You can use all the diversionary tactics you like EUexit is a factor in labour shortages being worse in the UK than the EU. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 16, 2022, 12:40:18 PM
Using the US as an example of anything is diversionary tactics and has no relevance to the UK/EU situation.
So using the biggest economy in the world as an example is diversionary is it? Why did you totally ignore John's evidence then showing the whole world?

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on November 16, 2022, 12:34:50 PM
As he has just posted

:)

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on November 16, 2022, 12:25:11 PM
I already posted one showing the US, the biggest economy in the world and they're struggling for labour across all sectors. Doesn't matter what proof you post John, PS will know better.

As he has just posted

:)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 16, 2022, 12:25:11 PM
I already posted one showing the US, the biggest economy in the world and they're struggling for labour across all sectors. Doesn't matter what proof you post John, PS will know better.
Nick Labour shortages are worst in the UK than the EU with EUexit as a major factor.  (Using the US data is a red herring.)