Project Fear

Started by patman post, October 17, 2022, 11:43:58 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Baff on January 10, 2023, 10:07:51 AM
October is open season if I read you correctly.
Sales should be able to be compared to the previous Octobers.

And should see a marked increase from April to September where they are expected to be zero.

Oysters are a luxury food.
We should reasonably expect sales to fall in line with any recession.

All luxuries are suffering in this climate. I haven't seen the figures for F&M this year, but I am confident they will be historically low.

Staple foods on the other hand should remain broadly the same or even do better as luxury foods are swapped out for their cheaper alternatives.
A large quantity of Mussels are frozen so sales have a lag on them. The closed season will show up somewhere, but it's not down to Brexit.  
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Baff

October is open season if I read you correctly.
Sales should be able to be compared to the previous Octobers.

And should see a marked increase from April to September where they are expected to be zero.

Oysters are a luxury food.
We should reasonably expect sales to fall in line with any recession.

All luxuries are suffering in this climate. I haven't seen the figures for F&M this year, but I am confident they will be historically low.

Staple foods on the other hand should remain broadly the same or even do better as luxury foods are swapped out for their cheaper alternatives.

Nick

Quote from: Baff on January 10, 2023, 09:09:13 AM
I don't think shellfish are widely stocked up on in the months before going to market.
I think they are caught and taken to market within hours and days of being caught.
And that's why there is a drop during closed season, but it's used as evidence of Brexit. 

Baff

Quote from: Nick on December 29, 2022, 02:16:24 PM
Call your self part of the fishing community? Clearly you know nothing about it.

You CANNOT fish from Mussels or Oysters between the months of April and September, of course October exports dropped, they don't have any to sell. lol
I don't think shellfish are widely stocked up on in the months before going to market.
I think they are caught and taken to market within hours and days of being caught.

Baff

Quote from: patman post on December 28, 2022, 04:31:14 PM
No British oysters in Carrefour. Oleron at 28.99€ for 36, but unspecified locals at £1.20 each down Chapel Market. Someone in the UK needs to stop milking the British if they've lost their overseas markets...

You've solved your own posit.
They haven't lost their overseas markets. They are currently on sale in French ones.

So no change there. Sorry project fear.

Quote from: papasmurf on December 28, 2022, 07:50:50 PM
Nick it is  a graphic with no explanation at all as to what it is, or a link to it to give anyone a clue.

Unlike the detailed graphic here:-  Trade in Goods: Fish & shellfish (03): EU: Exports: BOP: CVM: SA - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)
It's a well documented fact that UK fish exports are at historic highs.
You've had this explained to you over and over and over again.

Your obsession with shellfish is not an accurate representation of the affect of Brexit on the fishing industry.
In fact it is being used by you as a propaganda. An attempt to mislead others into believing the exact opposite is occurring.
At best it is an accurate description of a very tiny part of the UK fishing industry. Frankly I doubt it is even that.

Your preferred graph shows the exact same information BTW.
Very strong exports..

You can clearly see the pronounced blip of lost exports during the transition and the overall trend being a massive and sustained gain in exports.
With sales rising broadly in line with the fall in value of the £ since 2016, as you would expect.

What you have attempted to do is to promote the few hours/days of transition while fishermen got used to the new paperwork, where exports dropped intensely, as the over all picture.
The is disingenuous. A lie.

Propaganda. A half truth.

You graph also limits itself to exports to the EU.
UK fishermen are not limited to selling their catch to EU members.

So this is again  another attempt to mislead.
Another propaganda. Another half truth.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 29, 2022, 12:39:06 PM
Nick there is for October 2022 it shows a significant drop, back to 2013 levels.
Call your self part of the fishing community? Clearly you know nothing about it.

You CANNOT fish from Mussels or Oysters between the months of April and September, of course October exports dropped, they don't have any to sell. lol

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 29, 2022, 11:30:19 AM
There is NOTHING on the right hand side of the graph.

Nick there is for October 2022 it shows a significant drop, back to 2013 levels.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 29, 2022, 10:39:15 AM
Nick fish and shellfish exports to the EU have dropped that is shown very clearly at the right hand side of the graph.
There is NOTHING on the right hand side of the graph.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 28, 2022, 10:10:12 PM
A link that contains the exact same graph that already posted, but being the great all knowing you would have seen that.

The previous graph has exactly the same information, if you can't understand it then that's your issue.
Nick fish and shellfish exports to the EU have dropped that is shown very clearly at the right hand side of the graph.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 28, 2022, 07:50:50 PM
Nick it is  a graphic with no explanation at all as to what it is, or a link to it to give anyone a clue.

Unlike the detailed graphic here:-  Trade in Goods: Fish & shellfish (03): EU: Exports: BOP: CVM: SA - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)
A link that contains the exact same graph that already posted, but being the great all knowing you would have seen that. 

The previous graph has exactly the same information, if you can't understand it then that's your issue. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 28, 2022, 07:38:38 PM
Meaningless to you, must be because you don't understand it, or maybe the ONS can't add up, which one is it?

Unlike the detailed graphic here:-  Trade in Goods: Fish & shellfish (03): EU: Exports: BOP: CVM: SA - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 28, 2022, 08:49:15 AM
That graphic is meaningless.
Meaningless to you, must be because you don't understand it, or maybe the ONS can't add up, which one is it?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 28, 2022, 02:53:28 PM
There is not the export opportunities for exporting fresh fish and live shellfish.
The Fishermen shot themselves in the foot by voting for Brexit, and that has cost them dear. (With many now regretting voting for Brexit.
The ONLY reason I voted remain is because I knew the Tories would make a complete bog of it, which they have.
I've already shown you multiple times that exports to the EU of fish and shellfish are higher than at almost anytime pre-2016. Of course you know better than the ONS.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on December 28, 2022, 12:33:52 PM
Baff, I live in the midst of the local fishing industry, despite the government propaganda, Brexit has very badly damaged the local fishing industry.  The extra cost and massive increase in regulations needed to export to the EU, has made a lot of the local fishing industry call it a day because there is no profit in it. (The problems of exporting bi-valve molluscs  to the EU have not been addressed by the Tory Government and much of the trade locally has shut down altogether.
Several of my neighbours who are inshore fishermen doubt very much they will be bothering putting their boats back in the water next spring.
No British oysters in Carrefour. Oleron at 28.99€ for 36, but unspecified locals at £1.20 each down Chapel Market. Someone in the UK needs to stop milking the British if they've lost their overseas markets...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on December 28, 2022, 02:53:28 PM
There is not the export opportunities for exporting fresh fish and live shellfish
Don't be daft. Exports are up not down.

It's a sellers market.
The export opportunities are not now and never have been, limited to the EU. And EU demand for such things has not gone down in any way either.
In fact it has increased as the price has gone down.

Perhaps the biggest single producer of export opportunities in recent years was the sudden devaluation of the £ due to Project Fear.
You can thank yourself for directly creating the recent boom in UK fishing exports.

It is not lost on any of us however that you would greatly have preferred the exact opposite outcome to have taken place. How ironic.