Triple lock: Liz Truss ditches pledge to raise pensions with inflation

Started by Borchester, October 18, 2022, 08:06:28 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: patman post on October 19, 2022, 11:28:21 AM
I disagree with that proposal. A general election wouldn't really save much time over what the Tories have just put the country through.

My view is that a PM and/or party leader is like a Chief Executive. MPs are the board of directors and, together with the party Chair, they should be responsible for appointing their party leader.

The wider party membership and the electorate will have their chance to show their support or otherwise at general elections and by-elections...
I disagree. A change of leader as demonstrated often brings with it a vast change in policy and binning of manifesto pledges. What Truss promised bears no relation to the manifesto they were elected under. And even now after all the u turns they are proposing more austerity, another manifesto pledge broken.

Because such changes with no mandate often come with new leaders, the country ought to be asked as a legal requirement
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on October 19, 2022, 10:20:23 AM
Is it bad management or a perfect storm of all sorts of issues that have landed all at once? I don't necessarily completely blame the government. Cost of living rises are everywhere, the results of low interest rates for so long where cheap money has allowed debt to rise with little concern has finally come home to roost. Complacency not just at government level, has finally bitten us and we are all guilty unless we have been a bit wise and avoided the debt.
We are all responsible for ourselves - not that anyone on the left will be happy with that notion.
Europe is going into recession, it will be interesting to see how they handle that with their interminable committees and abundance of rules. We can be stronger but Hunt is not the answer, he is going to suffocate business and we will have job losses. The unions are rampant and desperate for a left wing government so that they can once again rule.
I should think Starmer hopes that the Conservatives stay in power until the worst is over because I don't think anyone currently in politics has a clue and those who do don't have the guts or she's a woman. She was right but didn't read the room and has chickened out.

Covid convinced too many that the way forward is constant handouts and as a nation we have gone soft. Harsh? Yes of course, but either we get real or reality is going to hit us all in the face. Sadly for those of us beyond working age there is little we can do but watch the young ones makes the same mistakes that we did and watch them having to learn. They are in for a tough time.
You are a more loyal Tory than even I thought.
Yes we are all responsible for ourselves and we worked for our state pension.
The Government created the triple lock to protect retired people who are not working so that their responsibility for themselves is not eroded by inflation and they remain afloat.
We took responsibility for ourselves, now the government needs to keep their responsibility to state pensioners. You believed we would have that triple lock resumed next time, but the Tories will always find an excuse now they have got away with it once.
In politics there are always events which the government can use as an excuse for their own ineptitude. Meanwhile, another thousand illegal immigrants arrive over the channel and another £500 million worth of arms leaves Brize Norton for East Poland to go onto the Ukraine.
It's all about priorities and keeping to manifesto promises. They are morally bankrupt.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Barry on October 19, 2022, 10:01:20 AM
The thing is everyone including Rishi gets £400 off their energy bills and he gave his to a charity of his choice. He gave the taxpayers money to his favourite charity and the poor were not targeted at all. Why do the poor have to pay for the government's bad management?
Let's hope he gift-aided the donation to give the charity more...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: srb7677 on October 19, 2022, 09:29:48 AM
Any change of prime minister  should come with the legal requirement to go to the country in an election.. Had this been a legal requirement, the Tory members who foisted Truss upon us might have perhaps paid more heed to what the public thought.
I disagree with that proposal. A general election wouldn't really save much time over what the Tories have just put the country through. 

My view is that a PM and/or party leader is like a Chief Executive. MPs are the board of directors and, together with the party Chair, they should be responsible for appointing their party leader.

The wider party membership and the electorate will have their chance to show their support or otherwise at general elections and by-elections...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 19, 2022, 10:01:20 AM
The thing is everyone including Rishi gets £400 off their energy bills and he gave his to a charity of his choice. He gave the taxpayers money to his favourite charity and the poor were not targeted at all. Why do the poor have to pay for the government's bad management?
Is it bad management or a perfect storm of all sorts of issues that have landed all at once? I don't necessarily completely blame the government. Cost of living rises are everywhere, the results of low interest rates for so long where cheap money has allowed debt to rise with little concern has finally come home to roost. Complacency not just at government level, has finally bitten us and we are all guilty unless we have been a bit wise and avoided the debt. 
We are all responsible for ourselves - not that anyone on the left will be happy with that notion. 
Europe is going into recession, it will be interesting to see how they handle that with their interminable committees and abundance of rules. We can be stronger but Hunt is not the answer, he is going to suffocate business and we will have job losses. The unions are rampant and desperate for a left wing government so that they can once again rule.
I should think Starmer hopes that the Conservatives stay in power until the worst is over because I don't think anyone currently in politics has a clue and those who do don't have the guts or she's a woman. She was right but didn't read the room and has chickened out.

Covid convinced too many that the way forward is constant handouts and as a nation we have gone soft. Harsh? Yes of course, but either we get real or reality is going to hit us all in the face. Sadly for those of us beyond working age there is little we can do but watch the young ones makes the same mistakes that we did and watch them having to learn. They are in for a tough time.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on October 18, 2022, 09:56:40 PM
Yes I remember. I still feel that as the country is with it's back against the wall that all levels of society should do their bit. I would hope that those too close to the bread line will get proper help
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Quote from: srb7677 on October 19, 2022, 09:29:48 AM
The problem is that the power to call an election lies with Truss herself. The only way one can be forced upon her is via defeat in a vote of no confidence. And this would require at least 35 or 36 Tory MPs to vote against their own government to bring it down. With the polls looking the way they are that is never going to happen. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

I do think this country badly needs a law change, and Starmer could actually do something useful if he included it in his manifesto. Any change of prime minister  should come with the legal requirement to go to the country in an election.. Had this been a legal requirement, the Tory members who foisted Truss upon us might have perhaps paid more heed to what the public thought.

He knows it would all be lies anyway, which he also knows a lot of people are onto them.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on October 18, 2022, 10:23:36 PMWe need the right to say this woman was foisted on us was and is a disaster and sod the Tory party members we should be given the choice by an election
The problem is that the power to call an election lies with Truss herself. The only way one can be forced upon her is via defeat in a vote of no confidence. And this would require at least 35 or 36 Tory MPs to vote against their own government to bring it down. With the polls looking the way they are that is never going to happen. Turkeys don't vote for Christmas.

I do think this country badly needs a law change, and Starmer could actually do something useful if he included it in his manifesto. Any change of prime minister  should come with the legal requirement to go to the country in an election.. Had this been a legal requirement, the Tory members who foisted Truss upon us might have perhaps paid more heed to what the public thought.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

Quote from: Sean on October 19, 2022, 07:41:59 AMKeir takes power and begins the healing process
But he is a globalist as well, which you point out and so are you. They have no say in the matter just rubber stamp what they are told they will.

Sean

Quote from: T00ts on October 18, 2022, 09:56:40 PM
Yes I remember. I still feel that as the country is with it's back against the wall that all levels of society should do their bit. I would hope that those too close to the bread line will get proper help whoever is in power but my instincts are always that society should pull together. If that means I tighten my belt for the good of all I don't have a problem with that. I have done it before.

Unfortunately there are too many hell bent on pulling us apart. Covid has cost a lot, they keep throwing cash at the NHS while they spend millions on diversity training/managers and other non critical items. The general situation is creating inflation but of course the lemmings all want to blame government for that without realising that whoever was in power right now would have exactly the same problems. It's all getting a bit beyond silly with pundits, unions etc taking great delight in making matters worse. I have rather lost patience with all of it right now.
My God! The UK pension is among the worst in the 38 nation OECD , with UK pensioners among the poorest in western Europe. How much more blood do you want to get from the pensioner stone? There comes a time when these continual excuses for this sorry excuse of a government start to sound extremely hollow. We are long past that stage now.You mention global issues affecting countries such as ours , yet some blind tory voters cant tell us why the UK economy has shrunk from 90% of Germanys 6 years ago to 70 % today? Our country has lost all patience with this sorry bunch. Come the next election when Keir takes power and begins the healing process , the tories are going to take such a beating it will be decades before they compose themselves. Keir will then implement PR to make sure this terrible excuse for a political party can never again foist the like of Boris Johnson or Liz Truss on any of us. King Charles should step in and dissolve the government as unfit to rule !

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on October 18, 2022, 10:23:36 PM
Yeah well they'll pull the "we're all in it together" but that's cobblers because they've given themselves a rise will continue to eat and drink the best at our expense and will they be cold or worry over bills? Not a chance.

We need the right to say this woman was foisted on us was and is a disaster and sod the Tory party members we should be given the choice by an election.
The old Dunkirk spirit we all pull together for the hundredth time, because none of them could organise a pee up in a brewery and miss rubber stamping whatever the EU and the yanks tell them they will do. Whose long term expansionism has created yet another cluster feck. Because this time somebody with real weapons of mass destruction has said enough is enough. 

cromwell

Yeah well they'll pull the "we're all in it together" but that's cobblers because they've given themselves a rise will continue to eat and drink the best at our expense and will they be cold or worry over bills? Not a chance.

We need the right to say this woman was foisted on us was and is a disaster and sod the Tory party members we should be given the choice by an election.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 18, 2022, 09:45:29 PM
@T00ts remember when I warned you that they would take it one year, and we'd never get it back?
You reassured me that I need not worry about that.

Well, prepare for the promise to be broken 2nd year running. Always an excuse to rob the pensioners of their money. Doesn't matter if it is Labour or Tories. My wife was robbed of 6 years state pension.
Yes I remember. I still feel that as the country is with it's back against the wall that all levels of society should do their bit. I would hope that those too close to the bread line will get proper help whoever is in power but my instincts are always that society should pull together. If that means I tighten my belt for the good of all I don't have a problem with that. I have done it before.

Unfortunately there are too many hell bent on pulling us apart. Covid has cost a lot, they keep throwing cash at the NHS while they spend millions on diversity training/managers and other non critical items. The general situation is creating inflation but of course the lemmings all want to blame government for that without realising that whoever was in power right now would have exactly the same problems. It's all getting a bit beyond silly with pundits, unions etc taking great delight in making matters worse. I have rather lost patience with all of it right now. 

Barry

@T00ts remember when I warned you that they would take it one year, and we'd never get it back?
You reassured me that I need not worry about that.

Well, prepare for the promise to be broken 2nd year running. Always an excuse to rob the pensioners of their money. Doesn't matter if it is Labour or Tories. My wife was robbed of 6 years state pension.

† The end is nigh †

B0ycey

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on October 18, 2022, 08:47:01 PM
The triple lock is one of the main reasons I voted to leave. Union Flag

Thankfully, Liz Truss knows its us who voted for her so she will take care of us.

Hunt the remainer is leading the policy making now HallowedBrexit. There is a bit of irony when you guys don't like to pay for your convictions.