PM says that pensions will rise with inflation

Started by Borchester, October 19, 2022, 03:43:29 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on October 20, 2022, 10:39:52 AM
Governments, and those concerned with pensions and welfare of the elderly, have been pointing out for decades that the state pension cannot/will not be sufficient to live on in the future.

Way before I was born there were government encouraged schemes to encourage all working people to make provision for their retirement.

That's why today employers are obliged by law to offer pension schemes to their employees. This is still too late for many employees so the state pension will need to operate for people retiring in 20 to 30 years.

Younger people need to take this information on board...
Younger people haven't  anything to spare . Rents or if they have had some inheritence a mortgage are not worrying about spending their last fiver on a pension plan 

patman post

Quote from: Javert on October 19, 2022, 08:59:22 PM
Too much of the state's money is spent on giving pensions to people who already have plenty of retirement money.

However planning for retirement is a long term business.

As such, I would say that the triple lock should remain in place in the short term, but they should announce it will be removed over a staggered few years in about 10 years from now.

For sure, it is completely discracegul to say that the triple lock stays, but other benefits like PIP, UC and so on don't get the same treatment - the fundamental assumption is that people in receipt of those benefits need them just as much as pensioners.

The next thing I would announce is that in the very long term, starting in about 20-30 years from now, they would steadily start to remove state pension entitlement from those who have significant private pension provision - anything above a certain amount of private pension provision, and you would lose your state pension on a staggered scale.

I cannot really justify giving out gold plated state pensions to people who have huge private retirement pots, but I also recognise that you can't just take that away from people who have already worked a good portion of their career.

Of course this won't ever happen because pensioners, who are most likely to vote, would never vote for it.
Governments, and those concerned with pensions and welfare of the elderly, have been pointing out for decades that the state pension cannot/will not be sufficient to live on in the future.

Way before I was born there were government encouraged schemes to encourage all working people to make provision for their retirement.

That's why today employers are obliged by law to offer pension schemes to their employees. This is still too late for many employees so the state pension will need to operate for people retiring in 20 to 30 years.

Younger people need to take this information on board...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on October 19, 2022, 10:36:11 PM
I thought the whole point was that there won't be a State Pension going forward. I thought everyone has to belong to a pension scheme.
As the vast majority of pension shemes are linked to stock markets it would only take an incompetent chancerler to make a wrong move and everyone would end up skint 
The state pension is the safety net . Its also what we have all paid for during our working lives......
Quote from: Barry on October 19, 2022, 09:48:51 PM
You didn't say it Javert, but are you thinking along the lines of the State Pension becoming a means tested benefit?
.....which is why it shouldn't be means tested .  Pensions are taxable income like any other , those with large pensions would probably pay back the state pension in tax anyway . 
Means testing would hit those with megre savings or maybe those who own their own homes but have little cash . The knock on effects of cutting them off from the pension lifeline haven't been thought about .

T00ts

I thought the whole point was that there won't be a State Pension going forward. I thought everyone has to belong to a pension scheme.

cromwell

Quote from: Javert on October 19, 2022, 08:59:22 PM
Too much of the state's money is spent on giving pensions to people who already have plenty of retirement money.

As such, I would say that the triple lock should remain in place in the short term, but they should announce it will be removed over a staggered few years in about 10 years from now.

For sure, it is completely discracegul to say that the triple lock stays, but other benefits like PIP, UC and so on don't get the same treatment - the fundamental assumption is that people in receipt of those benefits need them just as much as pensioners.

The next thing I would announce is that in the very long term, starting in about 20-30 years from now, they would steadily start to remove state pension entitlement from those who have significant private pension provision - anything above a certain amount of private pension provision, and you would lose your state pension on a staggered scale.

I cannot really justify giving out gold plated state pensions to people who have huge private retirement pots, but I also recognise that you can't just take that away from people who have already worked a good portion of their career.

Of course this won't ever happen because pensioners, who are most likely to vote, would never vote for it.
That is not that bad an idea,I could support that given safeguards.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Javert

Quote from: Barry on October 19, 2022, 09:48:51 PM
You didn't say it Javert, but are you thinking along the lines of the State Pension becoming a means tested benefit?

Eventually yes but only being introduced gradually in several decades from now so that the rich who can afford large pension pots have time to prepare for it.  To be clear, I am not suggesting that you would lose a pound of your state pension for each pound of private pension income you have or something like that - more that those with very large private pension incomes or assets do not need a state pension.  A good starting point would be that those with pension savings exceeding the lifetime allowance would lose their state pension (again in the long term future).

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Javert

As such, I would say that the triple lock should remain in place in the short term, but they should announce it will be removed over a staggered few years in about 10 years from now.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on October 19, 2022, 06:08:08 PM
Not to anything like the same extent. The left exist to champion the weak, the poor and the downtrodden. Anyone who is championing those worse off than themselves is not really being motivated by self interest. By definition the left believes in the common good whilst the right believes in the individual. The latter is inherently more selfish and less collective.
Keep kidding yourself.

srb7677

Quote from: Sheepy on October 19, 2022, 06:12:10 PM
Absolutely you should freeze and starve all for the greater good.
Actually you should freeze and starve none for the greater good, even if that means those with vastly more than they need contributing a little more.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on October 19, 2022, 05:56:50 PM
He's like a typical pensioner of any hue of incompetence. You really think the left don't put themselves first?
Absolutely you should freeze and starve all for the greater good.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on October 19, 2022, 05:56:50 PMYou really think the left don't put themselves first?
Not to anything like the same extent. The left exist to champion the weak, the poor and the downtrodden. Anyone who is championing those worse off than themselves is not really being motivated by self interest. By definition the left believes in the common good whilst the right believes in the individual. The latter is inherently more selfish and less collective.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on October 19, 2022, 05:25:25 PM
Of course you are. More money in your pocket funded by working people who are not getting anything like the same inflationary increases. Many of them much worse off than you. But you'll be alright so that's all that matters eh?

You are a typical Tory pensioner
He's like a typical pensioner of any hue of incompetence. You really think the left don't put themselves first?

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on October 19, 2022, 03:43:29 PMEven if Berkeley said it wouldn't.

I am beginning to warm to Liz.
Of course you are. More money in your pocket funded by working people who are not getting anything like the same inflationary increases. Many of them much worse off than you. But you'll be alright so that's all that matters eh?

You are a typical Tory pensioner

Borchester

Even if Berkeley said it wouldn't.

I am beginning to warm to Liz.

She might be a spineless incompetent who can't make a policy decision that lasts beyond lunch, but she does respond well to a good kick up the backside  :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63303880
Algerie Francais !