She’s gone ?

Started by patman post, October 20, 2022, 12:28:33 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on October 20, 2022, 06:54:54 PM
The plan is applications in by 2.30pm and each candidate must have 100MPs supporting them. They suspect that there will be a maximum of 3 standing.
Husting and ballot will follow on Monday afternoon
If 3 stand this will reduce the number to 2 and it must go to the Members.
If only 2 stand then the first ballot will be the deciding vote and members will not be involved.

If a member ballot is required then it will be electronic to end by Friday. As it stands the new leader could be in place by Monday evening.
Should be the first to get over 50% of MPs votes.

It's the membership that brought in both Johnson and Truss.

It's utter madness to put the country and party in danger of suffering more of the same...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on October 20, 2022, 06:50:12 PM
If it doesn't come up with a Labour or coalition government then we get what we asked for.  Regardless of whether the decision is actually for the best.
But one thing is very clear after twelve years of putting up with excuse after excuse ,only ever bounced by a totally dubious claim that Brexit would turn our fortunes in no time. No change can only be seen as the actions of an electorate that is resigned to its fate .
I might as well ask you.  What would a referendum give use right now?

A landslide to leave the EU with the right people behind it.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on October 20, 2022, 06:54:54 PM
The plan is applications in by 2.30pm and each candidate must have 100MPs supporting them. They suspect that there will be a maximum of 3 standing.
If only 2 stand then the first ballot will be the deciding vote and members will not be involved.

If a member ballot is required then it will be electronic to end by Friday. As it stands the new leader could be in place by Monday evening.

If only they had done that when Boris went, it could well have worked out far better in every respect.

T00ts

Good old

Quote from: Sheepy on October 20, 2022, 06:23:23 PM
What happens if that doesn't go your way either?

If it doesn't come up with a Labour or coalition government then we get what we asked for.  Regardless of whether the decision is actually for the best.
But one thing is very clear after twelve years of putting up with excuse after excuse ,only ever bounced by a totally dubious claim that Brexit would turn our fortunes in no time. No change can only be seen as the actions of an electorate that is resigned to its fate .
I might as well ask you.  What would a referendum give use right now? 

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on October 20, 2022, 02:00:45 PM
Democracy as we practise it ,is not necessarily dead yet. But this Tory regime has been provoking its end for six years now. This isn't over just yet, when it is , there will be a question as to the whole future of the U.K. Will it be truely the U.K.? Will it be financially damaged beyond repair? Will it's democracy be intact.?
You neo-liberals just don't believe in democracy unless you think you are controlling the majority by any means possible. We haven't forgotten their Covid control yet.

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on October 20, 2022, 05:29:55 PM
It's a bit past turning the party round. There is now a country that needs saving from the further actions of a party that is so full of ideological endeavour it's completely lost the thread when it comes to enhancing this countries future as a major world player.
We all know our democracy is not perfect , and conditions are less than perfect right now, but the Tories are really pushing the boat out here. Only a general election right now comes any where near representing even the obvious limitations of our democracy.
What happens if that doesn't go your way either?

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on October 20, 2022, 05:07:57 PM
I cannot disagree that the Tory image is severely tarnished, but I don't think it is yet irreparably damaged. A good leader, able to command loyalty and respect, could have two years to turn round the party — provided the party itself can show some self discipline.

It's still Europe — Leavers and Remainers — that's causing different groups to knock lumps out of each other. They have to learn to set their eyes on common objectives and deal with their differences later.

The electorate should make their views known by voting for their candidate or party as they wish. I firmly believe that the party's MPs are the ones to choose their leader. The country then has the chance to approve or reject the leader and policy packages at following elections...
The tory party has been split for as long as I can remember with pro Europe and eurosceptics . They should in fact have split years ago into two parties . As one entity it will always pull them apart . Johnson gave the illusion that the eurosceptics were in charge with the pro EU lot undermining his policies . It seems we will now have pro Europeans at the top table with the euroceptics kicking the chairs away .
I dunno Posty , the markets will need to back the new man long term and bring some stability but any cave in on Brexit will bring the conservative house tumbling down once more .

Good old

Quote from: patman post on October 20, 2022, 05:07:57 PM
I cannot disagree that the Tory image is severely tarnished, but I don't think it is yet irreparably damaged. A good leader, able to command loyalty and respect, could have two years to turn round the party — provided the party itself can show some self discipline.

It's still Europe — Leavers and Remainers — that's causing different groups to knock lumps out of each other. They have to learn to set their eyes on common objectives and deal with their differences later.

The electorate should make their views known by voting for their candidate or party as they wish. I firmly believe that the party's MPs are the ones to choose their leader. The country then has the chance to approve or reject the leader and policy packages at following elections...

It's a bit past turning the party round. There is now a country that needs saving from the further actions of a party that is so full of ideological endeavour it's completely lost the thread when it comes to enhancing this countries future as a major world player.
We all know our democracy is not perfect , and conditions are less than perfect right now, but the Tories are really pushing the boat out here. Only a general election right now comes any where near representing even the obvious limitations of our democracy.

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 20, 2022, 02:34:07 PM
The Tories are damaged goods Posty , anyone with any ambition will be keeping their powder dry till the next leadership election which will be about two weeks after Labour win the next election . And yes the electorate should be the only people to hire and fire PM's ,nothing has changed on that score .
I cannot disagree that the Tory image is severely tarnished, but I don't think it is yet irreparably damaged. A good leader, able to command loyalty and respect, could have two years to turn round the party — provided the party itself can show some self discipline. 

It's still Europe — Leavers and Remainers — that's causing different groups to knock lumps out of each other. They have to learn to set their eyes on common objectives and deal with their differences later.

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on October 20, 2022, 04:48:08 PM

In my opinion Johnson shouldn't be allowed to stand for the leadership anyway. Instead, Tory rebels should force a general election for the sake of the British people.
Why would anyone rebel or not vote for redundency ? By the sounds of it they will take their chances in turning things around in the time they have left . 
I suppose King Charles could dissolve parliament and force a GE but given what happened to the previous King Charlies  he may be keeping his head down 

HDQQ

Now there's the possibility of Boris Johnson becoming leader again, the man who was forced to resign only months ago in somewhat similar circumstances to Liz Truss, even if the actual reasons were different. Given that so many Tories tried to get rid of Johnson, wouldn't that rather limit his choice when it comes to appointing cabinet ministers. I'm sure Michael Gove would be able to explain away with ease any change of opinion on his part, as he's done before, but I'm not sure about others.

If Johnson does become PM again, it will only be on the basis of being slightly better than Truss.

In my opinion Johnson shouldn't be allowed to stand for the leadership anyway. Instead, Tory rebels should force a general election for the sake of the British people.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 20, 2022, 02:52:59 PM
If only labour abandoned the very same mechanism eh ....
I'm not a Labour supporter. It's up to them — but they have their own troubles with Left movements within the party trying to force agendas on the whole of Labour...

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 20, 2022, 03:20:59 PM
Actually, Sir Graham Brady is quoted by the BBC as saying the parliamentary party should complete their selection inside a week and he went on to say he hoped party members would have a say thereafter.
Yes I heard that , he went on to say if there was more than one candidate left after the selection . We will see but I think they will make sure there is only one , the members have been asked and they choose the wrong one . The Westminster party wont make that mistake again 

HallowedBrexit

As T00ts said, we need to keep calm now and we need to keep a cool head.

It's clear that this nation needs a leader that can take us to the sunlit uplands that we voted for.

This leader can only be Nigel Farage. He was instrumental in taking us out of the EU.

What do we want? Brexit.

When do we want it? Now.

Union Flag