Revenge best served cold!

Started by T00ts, October 21, 2022, 02:21:05 PM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 24, 2022, 05:46:05 PM
Democracy is dead , 150 MP's have chosen our PM . I read you can't get through to conservative HQ as thousands are cancelling their membership . Sunak lost the leadership election and seven short weeks later is installed in number 10 without so much as an interview a public speach or a smigen of scrutiny , we are no better than a banana republic
You have never voted for a PM Streetwalker. You vote for an MP who under majority whip supports one of them to become PM. We have parliamentary democracy which is why Sunak got in. I am not writing this to say I agree with the system but say I would rather have MPs decide our next PM rather than Tory members who aren't electorally elected in any sense whatsoever.

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on October 24, 2022, 06:17:36 PM
We don't elect presidents though, we elect a party and their manifesto. It's only the media who focus on the PM so much.
You were powerless to do a thing about it, I would keep that in mind.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy on October 24, 2022, 06:03:01 PM
I also told you so, that the minute he was crowned, it would be he has no mandate.
We don't elect presidents though, we elect a party and their manifesto. It's only the media who focus on the PM so much.

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on October 24, 2022, 05:58:28 PM
She tried but failed to compete with them and it was a brave attempt but she simply wasn't well enough equipped for that fight. There are a lot of refs to members cancelling there will be a rumpus. Her mistake was not to bide her time. The minute Hunt was foisted on her she was out. The MPs stitched it up way back and thought they had done enough and the members shocked them. They weren't going to risk it again. I wonder how hard they leaned on Penny.
I also told you so, that the minute he was crowned, it would be he has no mandate.

T00ts

Truss was ambushed by the men in grey suits . Sunak covered his bases with predictions of where her policies would lead . As soon as she acted on any of them they set the trap raised interest rates and made her look a fool . We will never know if her or her chancellors policies would have worked but at least she tried to pull us out of the managed decline that Sunak had been and will now continue to oversee

Democracy is dead , 150 MP's have chosen our PM . I read you can't get through to conservative HQ as thousands are cancelling their membership . Sunak lost the leadership election and seven short weeks later is installed in number 10 without so much as an interview a public speach or a smigen of scrutiny , we are no better than a banana republic
She tried but failed to compete with them and it was a brave attempt but she simply wasn't well enough equipped for that fight. There are a lot of refs to members cancelling there will be a rumpus. Her mistake was not to bide her time. The minute Hunt was foisted on her she was out. The MPs stitched it up way back and thought they had done enough and the members shocked them. They weren't going to risk it again. I wonder how hard they leaned on Penny.

Sheepy

Truss was ambushed by the men in grey suits . Sunak covered his bases with predictions of where her policies would lead . As soon as she acted on any of them they set the trap raised interest rates and made her look a fool . We will never know if her or her chancellors policies would have worked but at least she tried to pull us out of the managed decline that Sunak had been and will now continue to oversee

Told you so, they won't forgive this coup.

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on October 24, 2022, 02:11:35 PM
Shame we can't present Truss's share of the bill to the inadequate — but there's every chance her £140,000 ex-PM's allowance will be withheld. So a bit of recompense.

Good to see the elderly blue rinses and Col blimps didn't cause more mayhem...

Democracy is dead , 150 MP's have chosen our PM . I read you cant get through to conservative HQ as thousands are cancelling their membership . Sunak lost the leadership election and seven short weeks later is installed in number 10 without so much as an interview a public speach or a smigen of scrutiny , we are no better than a banana republic

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 24, 2022, 07:56:00 AM
Ive got a feeling this debacle is going to cost us all a lot more than a score
Shame we can't present Truss's share of the bill to the inadequate — but there's every chance her £140,000 ex-PM's allowance will be withheld. So a bit of recompense.

Good to see the elderly blue rinses and Col blimps didn't cause more mayhem...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Javert

Quote from: srb7677 on October 23, 2022, 09:59:32 PM
Boris has agreed to stand aside. It is starting to look as if Rishi Sunak might become leader without it being put to the members. I suspect Mordaunt will be persuaded to back out too, and if not might struggle to get the support of 100 MPs.

Those hoping that Rishi Sunak would be stopped my motives of petty revenge might well be disappointed, but should bear in mind that the good of the country matters far more than who gets their own back on who in parliament.
Bread and Circuses again.  The last days was a kind of stitch up to create the illusion that a real competition of some kind has taken place.  Reality is, even the Conservatives won't be crazy enough to put the choice to their local members again - whenever Tory leaders have been chosen by the local membership (and I'm going way back to when that process first started), they have always made the wrong choice, not only from my point of view but for the country and their own party prospects.

As regards revenge etc - I think loyalty is over valued and if you put loyalty above the need for competence and accountability, the ultimate result is that you will end up endorsing some kind of authoritarian rule, or at the least totally incompetent government.  The truth is that Boris Johnson was given many (too many in my view) chances to behave in a way appropriate to his position.  Loyalty should not be unconditional.

It's no coincidence that people in the Boris Johnson camp put a huge value on loyalty (at least in public) and so do petty criminals all across the world - I'm told it's worse to be a snitch than a murderer.

johnofgwent

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on October 23, 2022, 01:40:27 PM
It is now a good time to remind ourselves that no matter how much we detest that Goldman Sachs globalist Sunak, the most important thing is that LABOUR doesn't get in.
I think you are preaching to an empty chapel. The congregation long ago went out to vote labour.

2019 showed what the electorate think of being screwed.

i can't understand how short term Tory MPs memories are. I know most politicians hope the electorate has the attention span of a goldfish but good god almighty Sunak will have to literally transform lead into gold to fix this mess 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on October 23, 2022, 10:06:20 PM
Well, that is Boris out of the race and my 20 quid down the Swanee
Ive got a feeling this debacle is going to cost us all a lot more than a score 

Borchester

Well, that is Boris out of the race and my 20 quid down the Swanee
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Boris has agreed to stand aside. It is starting to look as if Rishi Sunak might become leader without it being put to the members. I suspect Mordaunt will be persuaded to back out too, and if not might struggle to get the support of 100 MPs.

Those hoping that Rishi Sunak would be stopped my motives of petty revenge might well be disappointed, but should bear in mind that the good of the country matters far more than who gets their own back on who in parliament.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

HallowedBrexit

Is anyone else under the impression that this latest backstabbing of Boris was due to Sunak directly conspiring with the EU?

I smell Snakes in the grass.

Good old

The BBC are announcing that Boris is not running. If there is to be revenge,  it looks like a back stabbing will be the order of the day.