171? Don't be a complacent Dishi!

Started by T00ts, October 24, 2022, 10:13:36 AM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

To me, as a non-Tory, Rishi Sunak looks like the best of the bunch for getting the country through the next 2 years, assuming the Tory government lasts that long. I did say when Liz Truss took over that I gave her the benefit of doubt and hoped she'd do OK but very quickly she messed up and was shown the door. I say the same about Rishi Sunak, assuming he wins the contest, I hope he does well - but not quite well enough to win the next general election!

I hope the new PM takes a pragmatic approach, not an ideological one. For example, if a vital public service such as a water or electricity utility goes bust or behaves very badly, don't be averse to nationalising it, even temporarily, like what happens with failed train operating companies.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Streetwalker

Mordants campaign manager is backing Sunak , I guess thats it , coup complete 

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on October 24, 2022, 12:39:37 PM
12.36pm - 188 and Penny claims 90 thus far. If she makes the 100 they should go to the membership! But they are saying they might not because Penny would be leaned on to stand aside. I hope she holds her own.

It has to be where it gets really interesting not that it has never been less than interesting. Rishi already has a clear majority of MPs . But can they afford to ignore the fact that in the previous leadership battle the polls of members were favouring Penny. If she gets the magic 100 knowing that should it be put to the test.?

T00ts

12.36pm - 188 and Penny claims 90 thus far. If she makes the 100 they should go to the membership! But they are saying they might not because Penny would be leaned on to stand aside. I hope she holds her own.

T00ts

12pm - 188 and the ERG cannot support either as a block. Both candidates have agreed to a robust attitude to NI and the EU. They will support either Sunak or Mordaunt in the event.

Sampanviking

Did I say something about a Coronation last week......::)

T00ts

The rise of Rishi  now 11.06am - 184 and 'still working hard' Total Cons MPs 357 - over 50% but is that a united party?

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on October 24, 2022, 10:53:56 AM
The Boris botherers morphed into Truss troublers and they will soon morph into Rishi wreckers.
Dancing Dancing Dancing I can't wait! All the while Starmer is trying to pull the splinters out of his sit-upon. I wonder if he is managing to sleep at night?

Barry

The Boris botherers morphed into Truss troublers and they will soon morph into Rishi wreckers.
† The end is nigh †

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on October 24, 2022, 10:13:36 AM
It is just on 10am and the latest count gives Dishi 171 supporters. Well that's very good of course and he looks like a shoe in for No10 but I don't think he is going to have an easy ride. His ready smile so often flashed to the cameras may well wane as he realises that he will have his enemies once he takes the chair.

I have heard that he is the true Right candidate, that he needs a widely drawn cabinet, even to the point of employing Theresa May! Won't you all be happy bunnies with that should it happen? It has even been suggested that Boris could have a position somewhere where he couldn't get out of control.

Starmer is probably already polishing his jibes about lost Covid loans and cake. Be careful what you have wished for Rishi - I just wonder how a man who so obviously loves his popularity image will cope once he is attacked in the HofC PMQs. He's in for a tough time IMO.

You are right he will have a tough time of it. That's the one certainty. Because there isn't a politician in the country now that wouldn't.
The party really is over, it's now the morning after, dealing with the realities are almost certainly going to be painful.

T00ts

It is just on 10am and the latest count gives Dishi 171 supporters. Well that's very good of course and he looks like a shoe in for No10 but I don't think he is going to have an easy ride. His ready smile so often flashed to the cameras may well wane as he realises that he will have his enemies once he takes the chair. 

I have heard that he is the true Right candidate, that he needs a widely drawn cabinet, even to the point of employing Theresa May! Won't you all be happy bunnies with that should it happen? It has even been suggested that Boris could have a position somewhere where he couldn't get out of control. 

Starmer is probably already polishing his jibes about lost Covid loans and cake. Be careful what you have wished for Rishi - I just wonder how a man who so obviously loves his popularity image will cope once he is attacked in the HofC PMQs. He's in for a tough time IMO.