Get a job say the party of law and order

Started by cromwell, October 26, 2022, 07:22:47 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 27, 2022, 02:11:27 PM
Since when did someone working in a bar get training, above how to use the till and pour a pint?
In your extensive world travels, have you not noticed the difference in the efficiency of service in large pubs in Ireland and many in London?

https://irelandtt.com/training/working-in-licensed-premises-bar-staff-online-learning

I did a stint in an Irish pub in Paris, but before even being allowed to do a shift I was instructed how to move behind the bar so I didn't impede other staff, how to pour Guinness, "pression", and pump beers, change casks, keep the bar and customer areas clean and clear, and — importantly — note and make eye-contact with customers waiting for service so I didn't have to ask "who's next?".

I guess the prevalence of poor customer service in pubs and bars, and bigger retail establishments the UK is due to the fact we're just getting used to it...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baff

Yes, Zero Hours Contract is Ed Miliband speak for "casual labour".

Why use common language to woo the working class when you can talk like a palace flunky instead.

Nick

Quote from: Barry on October 27, 2022, 09:01:37 PM
There's nothing wrong with zero hours contracts.
The Police the NHS and other very reputable employers use them for casual workers, such as custody assistants, translators, and the like. For many people this is pin money and for others a second part time job.

Why make something illegal which people want to do, how illiberal?
ZHC is a term the lefties use to try and beat the Tories with, the reality is they've been around since the early 1970's. The Tories did however bring legislation in in 2016 to protect the worker but that doesn't matter does it. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

There's nothing wrong with zero hours contracts.
The Police the NHS and other very reputable employers use them for casual workers, such as custody assistants, translators, and the like. For many people this is pin money and for others a second part time job.

Why make something illegal which people want to do, how illiberal?
† The end is nigh †

B0ycey

Quote from: Baff on October 27, 2022, 11:34:07 AM

Going a bit far with this one for me.I love my zero hours contracts. Why ban me from working? WTF.

Does being a shop assistant clott as public facing?
What about waiter or barman? Pfft. I'm a natural.

Depends on the zero hours Baff. Many go on them just to get work and would prefer the hours they do be constant and set to a legal framework. I'm sure there is a solution to this. Those who do content hours week in and week out shouldn't be forced on these contracts and they should be banned. Work that is temporary or seasonal I guess there is a place for them.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 27, 2022, 12:59:55 PM
Too many of those are painfully obviously untrained — especially in places like Curry's/PC World, Nando's, Wetherspoons.

I reckon it stems from the widespread feeling among many British people that Service means being servile, and they object to that idea...
Since when did someone working in a bar get training, above how to use the till and pour a pint?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 27, 2022, 11:02:07 AM
Sod that Im not going on PAYE . The problem is protecting the rights of all workers be they directly or indirectly employed . As I have stated the Health and safety at work act protects everyone it just needs to be implemented .

I rekon he will be getting a phone call soon '' Hello sir have you been injured at work lately when it wasnt your fault ?''

Sorry SW, but Ollie has already explained that the attack on the railwayman was the result of the Tories and zero hour contracts, so for the good of society you have to go on PAYE.

:)
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Going a bit far with this one for me.I love my zero hours contracts. Why ban me from working? WTF.

Does being a shop assistant count as public facing?
Too many of those are painfully obviously untrained — especially in places like Curry's/PC World, Nando's, Wetherspoons.

I reckon it stems from the widespread feeling among many British people that Service means being servile, and they object to that idea...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Good old

It's not really zero hours that is the problem. It's the conditions as applied to any zero hours job.
Zero hours is just another way to go part time for most that take that option. As this case proves for the employer it would seem it reduces the employers obligation to the worker to zilch. For someone needing to make a steady but limited living that should not include the risk of life and limb ,with no obligation on the part of the employer to support the stricken worker. 

Baff

Going a bit far with this one for me.
Quote from: Streetwalker on October 27, 2022, 05:57:17 AMZero hours contracts should be banned as should placing untrained people in jobs  that involve facing the public 
I love my zero hours contracts. Why ban me from working? WTF.

What about waiter or barman? Pfft. I'm a natural.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on October 27, 2022, 10:18:16 AM
Apparently the attacker was a brickie which probably means that he was, like his victim, effectively on a zero hour contract and the true crimminal was, as Ollie says, the Tory party for not putting both of them on PAYE.
Sod that Im not going on PAYE . The problem is protecting the rights of all workers be they directly or indirectly employed . As I have stated the Health and safety at work act protects everyone it just needs to be implemented .

I rekon he will be getting a phone call soon '' Hello sir have you been injured at work lately when it wasnt your fault ?''

Barry

Quote from: cromwell on October 26, 2022, 11:11:04 PM
The tories boast they are the arty of law and order....looks a fail on that point

Jake Berry with his genius of how to ride out austerity when we see zero hour contracts for people like this guy....fail again

The unions who we are told on here are the ruination of this country have to bail him out
everything to do with politics.

I don't know why you think he won't be out in just over a year, prisoners only serve half their sentence or less.

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/sentencing-and-the-council/types-of-sentence/determinate-prison-sentences/
You may be right on the release date. Has he been on bail or on remand? If on remand, that time counts, but violent offenders must serve 2/3 of their sentence, instead of 1/2.
https://www.russellwebster.com/releasechange/

The guy was willing to work on a zero hours contract. It's irrelevant to the crime.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Apparently the attacker was a brickie which probably means that he was, like his victim, effectively on a zero hour contract and the true crimminal was, as Ollie says, the Tory party for not putting both of them on PAYE.
Algerie Francais !

B0ycey

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 27, 2022, 09:30:24 AM
Well every employee should have the choice thats for sure but surely the health and safety at work act would cover most of it as do the rules for employer liability insurances .

Somethings amiss here

Don't really know how health and safety can prevent a drunk man from throwing punches Streetwalker. But there is more to Unions than just that anyway. The big sellers are unfair dismissal get fair pay rises if you have one at all. And in most companies the only people you can bring up grievances up to are the same people you usually have a grievance with. Being part of a union is there is someone there by your side. They will also pay legal costs. As I said, Unions are an insurance.

Streetwalker

Quote from: B0ycey on October 27, 2022, 08:04:11 AM
 every employee should be a union member. It is like insurance.
Well every employee should have the choice thats for sure but surely the health and safety at work act would cover most of it as do the rules for employer liability insurances . 

Somethings amiss here