Petrol bomb attack Dover

Started by cromwell, October 31, 2022, 09:48:50 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 31, 2022, 08:44:38 PM
I did say until Covid, here it is: source ONS.

Quote from: patman post on October 29, 2022, 07:15:54 PM
You're correct. It's just like when Major and Hague were in situ — little beneficial to the U.K. could be achieved because of the arguing over the EU.

The referendum is done, and the U.K. is out of the EU — but there's still arguing over and with the EU.

There's been 12 years to get the economy and trade sorted and despite Covid and Ukraine, which are also affecting other countries.

What did the U.K. get? May, Johnson and Truss — head girl with no imagination, a buffoon, and an automaton programmed with Right Wing party speak that the Blue Rinses quite liked.

The country deserved better, and it's either going to get it, or it's going to vote in an alternative...
Quote from: Nick on October 29, 2022, 07:49:42 PM
12 years? Show me this 12 years where the economy wasn't going up except since Covid?
Yes, you did say since Covid.

And I asked what you meant by the economy going up.

So, in reply, you now give me GDP figures — which is fine — except the whole country running around making things and selling them and services, and buying products and services doesn't necessarily indicate an economy at its best.

You'll notice I've highlighted my original comment, which referred to economy and trade, and caused your query. To judge the true health of the economy, it's probably best to see whether it's actually making more money than it's spending over a number of years.

The UK's goods and services trade balance has been in deficit by tens of billions of pounds since before 2010 and — ironically, because you specifically excluded Covid — was only in profit in 2020 (by £6.36 bn), before sinking back into deficit in 2021...

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8261/CBP-8261.pdf
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1116212/united-kingdom-uk-trade-balance-eu-and-non-eu/

PS: I guess this should probably be moved back to the Who do you think will win the next general election? thread
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on November 01, 2022, 01:54:38 PM
Did you know him from your time there?
He has not been named yet, but is apparently "known," by the police and security services. (Not that narrows it down much in High Wycombe.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on November 01, 2022, 12:04:52 PM
There are plenty of those in High Wycombe.
Did you know him from your time there?
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 01, 2022, 11:28:25 AM
  For all we know the guy was an insane  loner .
There are plenty of those in High Wycombe.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 01, 2022, 10:54:50 AM
It appears Priti Patel was warned about the lack of security at Dover and ignored the warnings: -
More at link with live links.

https://tinyurl.com/bdd2vtc9

31 October 2022, 4.31pm

The Home Office was warned about lax security and the risk of far-Right attacks at its facilities for housing asylum seekers – including the Kent centre that was firebombed this weekend.
In July, then home secretary Priti Patel was told by her own independent chief inspector, David Neal, that the Western Jet Foil facility in Dover that was attacked with petrol bombs on Sunday had a "poor level of security".

Patel, who cancelled Neal's six requests for meetings between March 2021 and September this year, was also warned in a separate report published in May about far-Right activity near temporary accommodation for asylum seekers.
That report reveals the Home Office was challenged over a potential far-Right threat at one hotel and responded that "they understand that [the location was unsafe], but that it had to open quickly".

Well Patel hasnt been proved to have got anything wrong as far as security is concerned by ignoring warnings of attacks by far right groups . (It might have helped if such groups were named )  For all we know the guy was an insane  loner . 

papasmurf

It appears Priti Patel was warned about the lack of security at Dover and ignored the warnings: -
More at link with live links.

https://tinyurl.com/bdd2vtc9

31 October 2022, 4.31pm

The Home Office was warned about lax security and the risk of far-Right attacks at its facilities for housing asylum seekers – including the Kent centre that was firebombed this weekend.
In July, then home secretary Priti Patel was told by her own independent chief inspector, David Neal, that the Western Jet Foil facility in Dover that was attacked with petrol bombs on Sunday had a "poor level of security".

Patel, who cancelled Neal's six requests for meetings between March 2021 and September this year, was also warned in a separate report published in May about far-Right activity near temporary accommodation for asylum seekers.
That report reveals the Home Office was challenged over a potential far-Right threat at one hotel and responded that "they understand that [the location was unsafe], but that it had to open quickly".

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on November 01, 2022, 09:36:36 AM
There hasn't really been any need to guard it until BLIAR and his cohorts destroyed the world as we knew it.
Indeed he did with his disastrous Iraq rubbish. And his sickening toadying to Bush which was utterly cringeworthy to behold made me feel ashamed of him and our government. But your Tories cannot escape culpability. Initially when the Iraq invasion was first being touted, Tory MP after Tory MP criticised the Blair government for not being gung ho enough and not supportive enough of the USA, until it became apparent that Blair was as gung ho as they were and fully prepared to subordinate himself and his country to US policy. And Blair had far more trouble convincing his own MPs of the justification for the Iraq adventure than he did the Tories. There was in fact a massive revolt on the Labour benches against the war when it was voted on in parliament, with about half their MPs voting against the war. But Blair won the vote in parliament with the solid backing of the Tories, only two of whom voted against.

The only logical and realistic conclusion to be drawn from all this is that had those Tories been in government, their enthusiasm for the Iraq adventure would have been even greater than Labour's
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 01, 2022, 09:40:10 AM
There has been a need to guard it, more than ever now, since 11000 Islamist terrorists "disappeared"  I would also point out it was the Tories who cut the staff and materiel back in the 1980s.
Yep
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 01, 2022, 09:36:36 AM
There hasn't really been any need to guard it until BLIAR and his cohorts destroyed the world as we knew it.
There has been a need to guard it, more than ever now, since 11000 Islamist terrorists "disappeared"  I would also point out it was the Tories who cut the staff and materiel back in the 1980s.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 01, 2022, 09:30:45 AM
I could add a lot more to that list. Also since the late 1980s the Channel coast has been virtually unguarded for all of it's 400 miles.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: Barry on November 01, 2022, 09:24:15 AM
Comment about Manston today in the Telegraph:

Alex Thomson
47 MIN AGO
An airliner has a capacity of 400 people, let's say you need 100 soldiers on board to keep the peace.
Let's be generous and assume only 2,000 of the people at Manston are here without any right to legally be in the UK.
That's 7 flights to return them to Albania.
Remember, they found it very easy to lock you in your home, to let your granny die neglected in a care home, to stop your child from receiving an education and for shuttering perfectly good businesses.
Yet they can't seemingly do anything to protect our borders?

He does have a point, and he even posits a solution.
Here's a thought.

If any of these immigrants found crossing the Chanel can be traced to Merkel's Millions stick them on a plane and take them back to Germany. Germany should be paying for this mess, they pretty much caused it single-handedly. If they aren't part of that wave then Gerry and his impenetrable EU borders are a bigger joke than we first thought.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on November 01, 2022, 09:24:15 AM

Remember, they found it very easy to lock you in your home, to let your granny die neglected in a care home, to stop your child from receiving an education and for shuttering perfectly good businesses.

I could add a lot more to that list. Also since the late 1980s the Channel coast has been virtually unguarded for all of it's 400 miles.

Barry

Comment about Manston today in the Telegraph:

Alex Thomson
47 MIN AGO
An airliner has a capacity of 400 people, let's say you need 100 soldiers on board to keep the peace.
Let's be generous and assume only 2,000 of the people at Manston are here without any right to legally be in the UK.
That's 7 flights to return them to Albania.

He does have a point, and he even posits a solution.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 01, 2022, 12:54:36 AM
I believe you must, unless you are a blind and deaf mute, have at some time or other witnessed the huge numbers of people filmed by some left leaning charity basket case - like perhaps the bbc- lined up waiting to jump into trucks, climb over roofs of trains or smuggle themselves into ferries. When given the chance to be interviewed all seem to repeat the same bollox that they wish to claim political asylum in England

why ? Why is this ? You say you do not believe the uk should feel it is the sole target of immigrants. Why then are these people, god knows how many million over the years, gone to such lengths to get HERE

what exactly is wrong with the other EU countries they have travelled through to stand on the very edge of to come here ....
Because other countries don't have the lefty woke brigade that we've got, just waiting to welcome any stray into the country. 

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on October 31, 2022, 07:59:21 PM
I do not believe the UK, or any country, should feel it is the sole target of immigrants and refugees...
I believe you must, unless you are a blind and deaf mute, have at some time or other witnessed the huge numbers of people filmed by some left leaning charity basket case - like perhaps the bbc- lined up waiting to jump into trucks, climb over roofs of trains or smuggle themselves into ferries. When given the chance to be interviewed all seem to repeat the same bollox that they wish to claim political asylum in England 

why ? Why is this ? You say you do not believe the uk should feel it is the sole target of immigrants. Why then are these people, god knows how many million over the years, gone to such lengths to get HERE

what exactly is wrong with the other EU countries they have travelled through to stand on the very edge of to come here ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>