Thousands of Cornwall's businesses are in crisis as an amalgamation of Brexit,

Started by papasmurf, October 31, 2022, 07:51:52 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 01, 2022, 06:45:16 AM
Sad to say my local spoons is one thats on their list for closure . >:(
There will be another one fairy close I suspect, we've got 2 in Southport within 300 yards.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 01, 2022, 08:25:21 AM
I suggest you check how many Wetherspoons are shutting down.
32 out of 861. Yet another dramatic post amounting to nothing.

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 01, 2022, 04:33:45 AM
Wetherspoons is still doing a pint of Guinness for under £3 so they clearly have a decent business model.
I suggest you check how many Wetherspoons are shutting down.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on November 01, 2022, 04:33:45 AM
Wetherspoons is still doing a pint of Guinness for under £3 so they clearly have a decent business model.
Sad to say my local spoons is one thats on their list for closure . >:(

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 31, 2022, 09:58:59 PM
Well the only reason it could be because of Brexit is that the cheap labour the businesses were using have returned to their home countries  during the pandemic and haven't come back . Better wages would maybe have seen a few more stay .

Businesses other option to do it on the cheap was to use illegal workers but someone called in immigration and the DWP on them and  they all got deported , you can't have it both ways .;)

Local for me its the electric bill thats killing independent traders though thankfully they have shown signs of not being as much as first feared . Threats of a £7 pint with the cost of raw ingredients going up due to the war in Ukraine also take some of the blame .
Restraunts and pubs are pricing themselves out of business , Nobody in their right mind is going to pick up a bar menu in a pub and pay (what I was looking at over the weekend ) over £20 for a 8oz steak and a few chips .

Im sure the minister for leveling down will get to grips with it next year , but by then only those with a good turnover and maybe a bit of cash in reserve  will still be with us

Streetwalker

Well the only reason it could be because of Brexit is that the cheap labour the businesses were using have returned to their home countries  during the pandemic and haven't come back . Better wages would maybe have seen a few more stay .

Businesses other option to do it on the cheap was to use illegal workers but someone called in immigration and the DWP on them and  they all got deported , you can't have it both ways .;)

Local for me its the electric bill thats killing independent traders though thankfully they have shown signs of not being as much as first feared . Threats of a £7 pint with the cost of raw ingredients going up due to the war in Ukraine also take some of the blame . 
Restraunts and pubs are pricing themselves out of business , Nobody in their right mind is going to pick up a bar menu in a pub and pay (what I was looking at over the weekend ) over £20 for a 8oz steak and a few chips .

Im sure the minister for leveling down will get to grips with it next year , but by then only those with a good turnover and maybe a bit of cash in reserve  will still be with us 

papasmurf

Thousands of Cornwall's businesses are in crisis. (Not news to me, at least three local businesses unlikely to open again.)
More at link:-
https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/wave-cornwall-business-closures-lays-7754612

•  28 OCT 2022
Thousands of Cornwall's businesses are in crisis as an amalgamation of Brexit, the pandemic and the rising cost of living have made running things more challenging than ever before. We've had to say goodbye to some loyal favourites in recent weeks alone as business owners see their hopes and dreams flailing.

In the hospitality trade alone, pubs, restaurants and bars are silently crying out for help. A wave of previously successful places to eat - with more than loyal customers - have closed down in recent times.
Others have been forced to adapt to running in a less costly way. It's raised fears that Cornwall could be moving back in time with more seasonal closures to come and quieter towns and villages overall; a devastating thought for places that have worked tirelessly for years to build year-round trade.