Main Menu

Another forum

Started by srb7677, November 01, 2022, 10:30:47 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar on November 01, 2022, 04:33:07 PM
I've received a couple of those PMs, however as I considered the message rude by nature of its attempt to fish users from one forum to another, I responded in kind by ignoring them.

Poor forum advertisement practices do not endear me to the management of said forum.
Anyone know who "Bubbles" is?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nalaar

I've received a couple of those PMs, however as I considered the message rude by nature of its attempt to fish users from one forum to another, I responded in kind by ignoring them.

Poor forum advertisement practices do not endear me to the management of said forum.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on November 01, 2022, 04:07:16 PM
Back to lankou then? I prefer that one, myself.
The Ankou is the henchman of Death (oberour ar maro) and he is also known as the grave yard watcher, they said that he protects the graveyard and the souls around it for some unknown reason and he collects the lost souls on his land. The last dead of the year, in each parish, becomes the Ankou of his parish for all of the following year. When there has been, in a year, more deaths than usual, one says about the Ankou:– War ma fé, heman zo eun Anko drouk. ("On my faith, this one is a nasty Ankou.")

Barry

Back to lankou then? I prefer that one, myself.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on November 01, 2022, 03:38:34 PM
The registration process went wrong for me too, and only gave me half my name.

As for it appearing "to be inhabited with some very nasty bastards and Trolls", I guess for you, it must seem a bit like riding a bike or the first time after taking off the stabilisers...
Not really, I can spot trolls and nasty bastards at 200 yards in thick fog. The problem is few forum moderators have the same ability.
The "Another Forum," seems to have a large number of nasty bastards and trolls totally ignoring the forum rules.

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 01, 2022, 03:41:22 PMmulti step authentication made it bloody impossible to take the administrator role back
I looked at implementing 2 step verification using a mobile today strangely enough and decided against it because it become a liability.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on November 01, 2022, 10:30:47 AM
I was approached via PM by someone with the username "Bubbles" and invited to join another forum.

I have signed up and am active there too. This "Bubbles" is presumably a member or even a mod there but under a different username because there is no one under that username there. I have no idea who he is there. He has not responded to a PM from me here.

But if I got an invite via PM here, it is likely that others have too. And indeed many of this forum's denizens are there, including Borchester, Johnofgwent and someone calling himself Patman. Thomas is there too. Just a heads up because I was invited on the basis of this forum here being a dying forum, which I hope and think is incorrect. But someone called "Bubbles" has used his account here to tout for business via PM.

The other forum is busier because it also appears to have collected members from UKPolitics which has now closed down. I used to be active there before it started being flagged up as an unsafe site and recognise several of the names from there.

But overt trolling behaviour seems to be tolerated there - one of whom delights in trolling me - and there are a few arseholes touting the kind of obnoxious views that wouldn't be allowed to go unchallenged here. For example several were cheerleading the firebombing of an immigrant detention centre as a justifed expression of legitimate anti-immigrant anger, and view the man responsible who then killed himself as some sort of  martyr for a just cause. This is the sort of thing the Nazis used to do to eulogise their own thugs in attacks on minorities.

Conclusion? Though there is often more to respond to there, it is a bit like the wild west with no discernible sign of any modding at all. Most of the mods there in any case seem to be far right Tories, and of a much less politically reasonable bent than our own beloved Toots. This forum is just a much more pleasant environment most of the time.

For now I will remain active on both, but the other one is much more likely to produce the kind of circumstances where I will have to walk away for my own good.

Just thought I would share that information.
I received a PM from the person who set the new site up as a response to the owner of another site closing that one down.

political debate sites are getting to come and go like prime ministers. It just won't do.

Mind you, I'm just as much a sinner here. I threw the keys to my own political debate site on the floor after getting pissed off at a few members who went out of their way to break rules and start fights. Sadly one of the guys who set that up with me, and who took up the admin role when I vacated the chair, has not been heard if for a while and the band he played with also seem to have vanished. His email account is choked full and no one has heard from him in a while. He was both older than me and in significantly poorer health than I. Accordingly I fear the worst for him.

what DOES make me bloody annoyed is that a perfectly good forum - my old one - had had to be abandoned because the management system demanded a single administrator above all and multi step authentication made it bloody impossible to take the administrator role back. Some forum software authors have piss all sense.

anyway, that's be done. Rant over.

yes, the other forum is not one for the meek and mild. By which I mean 99 per cent of the time it is but then you find you need stilettos and cheese wire. Now whether that's toots wearing the heels or just having that oh so awesome dagger in the handbag / in the jacket pocket, it matters not. Just don't go unarmed into a troll fight over there is all I will say
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on November 01, 2022, 10:37:51 AM
Lucky you, I got the same email, but have been unable to join the forum due to a registration process seeming to be faulty.

Edited, I have now registered for the forum, but it appears to be inhabited with some very nasty bastards and Trolls  who I try and avoid.
The registration process went wrong for me too, and only gave me half my name.

As for it appearing "to be inhabited with some very nasty bastards and Trolls", I guess for you, it must seem a bit like riding a bike or the first time after taking off the stabilisers...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

I was approached via PM by someone with the username "Bubbles" and invited to join another forum.

I have signed up and am active there too. This "Bubbles" is presumably a member or even a mod there but under a different username because there is no one under that username there. I have no idea who he is there. He has not responded to a PM from me here.

But if I got an invite via PM here, it is likely that others have too. And indeed many of this forum's denizens are there, including Borchester, Johnofgwent and someone calling himself Patman. Thomas is there too. Just a heads up because I was invited on the basis of this forum here being a dying forum, which I hope and think is incorrect. But someone called "Bubbles" has used his account here to tout for business via PM.

The other forum is busier because it also appears to have collected members from UKPolitics which has now closed down. I used to be active there before it started being flagged up as an unsafe site and recognise several of the names from there.

But overt trolling behaviour seems to be tolerated there - one of whom delights in trolling me - and there are a few arseholes touting the kind of obnoxious views that wouldn't be allowed to go unchallenged here. For example several were cheerleading the firebombing of an immigrant detention centre as a justifed expression of legitimate anti-immigrant anger, and view the man responsible who then killed himself as some sort of  martyr for a just cause. This is the sort of thing the Nazis used to do to eulogise their own thugs in attacks on minorities.

Conclusion? Though there is often more to respond to there, it is a bit like the wild west with no discernible sign of any modding at all. Most of the mods there in any case seem to be far right Tories, and of a much less politically reasonable bent than our own beloved Toots. This forum is just a much more pleasant environment most of the time.

For now I will remain active on both, but the other one is much more likely to produce the kind of circumstances where I will have to walk away for my own good.

I am sorry that Politicsforum has closed down.

Apart from Jaydee's yard long rants about whatever bloody rubbish occupied the three or four spoonfuls of porridge he was amused to call a brain, I thought it was a rather quiet site. But everyone has moved to Pol-tics.com so no one has been lost.

:)

Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Barry on November 01, 2022, 01:47:08 PM
I'm well aware of this other forum. The main beauty of it is that it has reduced the traffic on a 3rd forum where I am a member, run by an admin on a free server with pesky adverts. Said admin is an utter control freak and deletes posts with which he disagrees.
The new forum is going through a "honeymoon" period which looks likely to end in divorce quite soon. :)
I have an account there, but I prefer my "old mates" here. :P
Flattery will get you everywhere ;)

Barry

I'm well aware of this other forum. The main beauty of it is that it has reduced the traffic on a 3rd forum where I am a member, run by an admin on a free server with pesky adverts. Said admin is an utter control freak and deletes posts with which he disagrees. 
The new forum is going through a "honeymoon" period which looks likely to end in divorce quite soon. :)
I have an account there, but I prefer my "old mates" here. :P
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on November 01, 2022, 12:29:38 PM
I know who you are talking about. You must have been looking in. lol
We are omnipresent :D

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on November 01, 2022, 11:34:22 AM
And welcome back Steve,it cannot be easy having  intelligent debate with a squeezed abscess. ;)

I know who you are talking about. You must have been looking in. lol
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 01, 2022, 11:52:29 AM
 We know who it is,
I don't, but looking at the membership I am spoiled for choice of suspects.

Nick

Thanks for the heads-up Steve, but we were already aware and are in full control of Bubbles. We know who it is, lets face it, there has only ever been one poster with spelling and grammar as bad as his. The same person that spends half his time creeping around here reading posts offline, MODS can see who's about whether they login or not!!
So once I took over that account I did find some very interesting responses to his rather pathetic pleading PM to come and join this new and exciting forum.
Exciting isn't the word I would use when you look at it, free website, on a free server built by a 12 year old maybe. :)
Seems to have been rather busy around here lately, perhaps posters have had a look and realised that this isn't a bad place after all, done us a favor really ;)