Govt delays decision on re-opening first deep coal mine in three decades

Started by SKY News, November 02, 2022, 01:00:44 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on November 02, 2022, 08:08:36 PM
I wouldn't necessarily rely on what TATA has to say, they tend to use aggressive tactics to get what they want. Of the 3 main airlines in India I know they bought AirIndia and one other, can't remember if it was Vistara or Indigo, I even think they bought the national railway company, IRCTC.  They're aggressive little buggars and like to control everything, every other truck has TATA on it.
As I alluded to yesterday, what they pump into the sky will be a key to using coal again, the air will have to be breathable before the teenage mutant ninja turdle is kept quiet.
Well I dont know about Tata's business practices Nick but when the steel industry as a whole say they dont need (or want) Cumbrian coal  Id go with that rather than various MP's on a mission  to score a few points 

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 02, 2022, 05:58:18 PM
Well it took me a few minutes to find it but I was sure I had read it a while back . The trouble is is that people are speaking on others behalf when they haven't had the facts . The BBC and Michael Gove are not the steel industry .  They are talking out of their rear ends  , TATA doesnt even use Russian coke and British steel (does use or did use Russian coke )says it can't use the Cumbrian coal and is moving toward electric arc furnaces  and scrap metals to produce its steel

The case for opening the mine is based on supplying the Steel industry but the Steel industry themselves say they wont use it
So if its not to supply the steel industry they had best make a case for it to supply the electric ovens because that is where the need is or the mines will stay closed

Steel boss dismisses claim that sector needs new Cumbrian coalmine | Mining | The Guardian
I wouldn't necessarily rely on what TATA has to say, they tend to use aggressive tactics to get what they want. Of the 3 main airlines in India I know they bought AirIndia and one other, can't remember if it was Vistara or Indigo, I even think they bought the national railway company, IRCTC.  They're aggressive little buggars and like to control everything, every other truck has TATA on it. 
As I alluded to yesterday, what they pump into the sky will be a key to using coal again, the air will have to be breathable before the teenage mutant ninja turdle is kept quiet. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 02, 2022, 11:34:25 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-56023895

8 July

The government has missed its deadline to announce whether it will approve a new coal mine in Cumbria - the first for 30 years.

It would provide fuel for the UK's steel-making industry, which currently uses Russian coal.
But critics fear it would undermine the UK's climate change targets, which rely on a move away from fossil fuels.
The decision was due to be made on 7 July by Communities Secretary Michael Gove but he was sacked by Boris Johnson. His successor, Greg Clark will now make the decision and this is expected in August.
Does the UK need a new coal mine?
The coal from the mine wouldn't be used to generate electricity for the UK, but to make steel.
Most steel production involves heating coal to high temperatures and combining it with iron.
Currently about 770kg of coal is needed to make one tonne of steel - and the UK produces 7.4 million tonnes of steel a year.
At the moment UK steel-makers get nearly half their coal from Russia.
Well it took me a few minutes to find it but I was sure I had read it a while back . The trouble is is that people are speaking on others behalf when they haven't had the facts . The BBC and Michael Gove are not the steel industry .  They are talking out of their rear ends  , TATA doesnt even use Russian coke and British steel (does use or did use Russian coke )says it cant use the Cumbrian coal and is moving toward electric arc furnaces  and scrap metals to produce its steel 

The case for opening the mine is based on supplying the Steel industry but the Steel industry themselves say they wont use it 
So if its not to supply the steel industry they had best make a case for it to supply the electric ovens because that is where the need is or the mines will stay closed 

Steel boss dismisses claim that sector needs new Cumbrian coalmine | Mining | The Guardian

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 02, 2022, 08:54:54 AM
I dont think so . 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-56023895

8 July

The government has missed its deadline to announce whether it will approve a new coal mine in Cumbria - the first for 30 years.

It would provide fuel for the UK's steel-making industry, which currently uses Russian coal.
But critics fear it would undermine the UK's climate change targets, which rely on a move away from fossil fuels.
The decision was due to be made on 7 July by Communities Secretary Michael Gove but he was sacked by Boris Johnson. His successor, Greg Clark will now make the decision and this is expected in August.
Does the UK need a new coal mine?
The coal from the mine wouldn't be used to generate electricity for the UK, but to make steel.
Most steel production involves heating coal to high temperatures and combining it with iron.
Currently about 770kg of coal is needed to make one tonne of steel - and the UK produces 7.4 million tonnes of steel a year.
At the moment UK steel-makers get nearly half their coal from Russia.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 02, 2022, 08:18:43 AM
The coal mined from that mine will be used for making steel.
I dont think so . TATA steel and British steel has both said they can not use coal from this mine because of the sulphur levels are too high . 
If it is re-opened it will be for Electric generation 

papasmurf

Quote from: SKY News  on November 02, 2022, 01:00:44 AM

A government decision on whether to re-open the nation's first deep coal mine in three decades has been delayed again.

Source: Govt delays decision on re-opening first deep coal mine in three decades
The coal mined from that mine will be used for making steel.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Its quite clear from recent world events that we need to be self sufficient in our energy needs . That means using fossil fuels  that  we have and being concious of future needs being met with a greater percentage of renewables / nuclear . 

Those objecting the use of fossil fuels  need to realise windmills and suchlike don't cover anywhere  near what we need with question marks on wether biofuels should even be included as 'renewable' (thats maybe for another day ) 

So unless we want higher bills and less energy security for years to come  we need to not only open this mine but others as well , more exploration of the gas fields  and the building of nuclear plants .

The government past and present have dropped the ball with regard our energy needs , they need to pick it up and run with it .

Nick

Quote from: SKY News  on November 02, 2022, 01:00:44 AM

A government decision on whether to re-open the nation's first deep coal mine in three decades has been delayed again.

Source: Govt delays decision on re-opening first deep coal mine in three decades
There is enough technology about today to burn coal, filter and scrub the air, and release almost breathable air into the atmosphere. Lets get on it and produce our own electricity again. An whilst we are at it, get the old Nuclear reactors fired up again.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

SKY News